+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Socks  (Read 1554 times)

Tin Soldier

Socks
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »
Funny story.  I'm 2 weeks post op and like all of us in recovery, we have to restrict bending beyond the 90 degree point for 6 weeks.  So I didn't get the sock puller and I have to ask people to, my wife and my boys, and my PT to help me put my sock on.  It seems that every time someone else puts my sock on for me, I get a wrinkle and I have to ask them to pull the sock up higher and tighter.  My 14 yr old son helped me this morning and it was pay back.  I think he knew it too, even though his complaints of wrinkles in his socks were when he was 4 or younger.  This morning, he left the sock on my foot with a big wrinkle in it and drove me nuts.  At least he helped put my sock on for me, I guess.

Moral of the story - get the sock puller or prepare to receive some payback from you kids.

BTW - I always put my kid's socks on nice and tight and tidy with no wrinkles, they just thought they had wrinkles. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

Re: Socks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
Tin Soldier,

I had the sock puller and I guess I didn't use it enough because I hated it! I asked my kids or husband more often than I used the puller. At 4 weeks, my 90 degree restriction was lifted and I was able to put my own socks on. At first, my ROM was not that great due to the 4 weeks of restriction, but by 5 weeks, it was easy to get my socks on! Hang in there...soon enough!!!

June

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
I had a 120 degree (not 90) flexion restriction since day 1.  Also, when bending forward a lot of the bend is coming at your waist, not from your hip.  I was able to put my socks on after about 3 days if sitting in a medium to low height chair, but had to be really careful because too much bending would cause an excruciating cramp in the back of my leg.  I would have to stand up immediately and straighten my leg for a minute or so for it to go away.

Pretty soon, though, I was able to put my left (operated side) foot on my right knee by bending my left knee outward.  This makes putting your socks on a lot easier.  Try it if you have sufficient ROM, and I don't think that this violates the 90 degree limit.  My doc (and recently PT) said that this is actually a good ranging stretch.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

einreb

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
Pretty much since the first week, I can stand on one leg... bend at my knee on the resurfaced leg so my foot is against my butt on my resurfaced hip, reach back and put my sock on. 

I'm not breaking the 90 degree rule, so I guess its ok?  :-\
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

23109VC

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
I hate wrinkles in my socks!!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »
Pretty much since the first week, I can stand on one leg... bend at my knee on the resurfaced leg so my foot is against my butt on my resurfaced hip, reach back and put my sock on.  

I'm not breaking the 90 degree rule, so I guess its ok?  :-\

Trying to picture that, but having a hard time...  

As long as you're not breaking anything else you're probably OK.   ;)
(I'd probably dislocate my shoulder trying something like that)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:08:22 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat