+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: straight from the hip...  (Read 143112 times)

kajubones

straight from the hip...
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
Hello all,

I am a kajukenbo practitioner and have learned that I need to get my hip resurfaced. At first I was all for re-leaving all this pain but after talking to the doctor and several people I have my doubts. First my doctor tells me that there will be limitations in my movement. For example, I would not be able to lift my knee past my hip or even do a high chamber for a roundhouse kick. Then I heard from someone that not all the muscles in my leg would be reattached because there was just no way of doing that (I took this one with a grain of salt). I was also concerned about the metal particles and what the long term effects it may have on my joints or organs. I found this forum one night and thought I should post some of my concerns with others who have more experience. I am at the moment seeking out a second opinion before even considering the procedure. I have read many people saying that they had no limitations in their movements after the procedure was done and was wondering if it is the device itself that will make the difference. I have not been in class for about a year now and am utterly depressed.

hernanu

Re: straight from the hip...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
You'll find quite a few people who have gone back to martial arts. We are all in different times of our recovery, so you can track what people have run into. I'm fresh out of my second hip resurface, so for me I figure about a year before I get back to full blooded training.

The 'can't bring the knee up past your hip' is a misuse of a recuperation restriction. Many doctors use this rule to prevent damage while healing. Some don't agree (like my doctor), but the intent is to get your body properly healed so later you can do as much activity as possible.

Get as much info as you can, you'll see that the recovery can be significant and you can go back to a lot of activities. I'm planning to at least go back to bag training and forms, will see about full contact.

Hernan (35 years Tae Kwon Do).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chris finn

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
I agree with hernanu.....as he says, the movement restrictions are only temporary...also...my muscles were not cut, infact Ive never heard of this happening.

My operation was early Dec 2010...and although strength and flexability take a whille to come back, theres no reason why they wont. Im only about 4 inches from touching my toes....training with weights and using the heavy bag. There are restrictions to what I can and cant do, but having no pain more than makes up for that.

good luck with whatever you decide to do  :)
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
I do not practice martial arts, but I am an athlete and I have not heard of those type of restrictions, except during recovery. After 4 weeks I was allowed to lift my knee past my hip, etc. I am now at four months and will find out at the end of the month when I can resume high impact activities such as running. That may be 6 months to a year, but well worth the wait. I am sure you will be able to get back to your kicks...your fellow hippys on this site who practice will give you plenty of answers!

Dayton96

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
Just how experienced is your surgeon with hip resurfacing?
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
Mine is very experienced.

kajubones

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:27 AM »
Hi,

And thanks for the reply. I am so glad to hear about all of your experiences and how positive it was. My doctor was adamant about the no knee above the hip movement because of the likelihood of dislocation. I am not sure how much experience he has with the resurfacing, I will have to find some way to check that out. If all of you don't mind and if it is against the rules to post it here, can you send me a personal email telling me the device that you received because I still have this feeling that it may be the device itself that may make the difference. again, thank you so much for the positive feedback, it has been the first good news that I have received in a long, long time.

chris finn

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »
Well...mine is a Birmingham. But I still think that maybe you have miss understood your surgeon...the "no knee above hip" rule is only for the first few months of recovery. If he is actually saying that it is for ever then find out how many he has done...and if he isnt experienced...I would say to find someone else.

BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Lopsided

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:24 AM »
... I am not sure how much experience he has with the resurfacing, I will have to find some way to check that out.

Ask him!

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

lkallok

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
I am a 4th degree Master black belt in Tang Soo Do and my husband and I run a karate school. I am 13 days post op my second BHR on the left hip. I had the right hip done on 2-25-08.

With the right hip it took me a year and a half to get back to practicing martial arts but that was only because i had sciatic nerve damage and foot drop. However, my biggest drawback was fear. Once I started training I took it slow and didn't kick above the waist. I wasn't long before i was doing front snap kicks, roundhouse kicks and inside-outside kicks over my head again! I don't have all my flexibility back (my signature break was holding a board over my head and breaking it with my right foot.) I still have some difficulty with pivoting kicks but that was due to the arthritis in my left hip. Hopefully that will be resolved after this surgery!

The key is to take it slow and have the patience to let your body heal. The first time I had no choice because of the nerve damage (which is mostly resolved now) but this time there is nothing to hold me back and it will be hard not to overdo it.

I am a 52 year old female and for the past 20 years martial arts has been a very big part of my life. At one point I thought I would have to give it up but I didn't! I may not have the most perfect kicks but I am not ashamed to get out there with my students and take my husbands class. They know what I've been through. The perseverance, intensity and patience that I have learned through years of martial arts training have enabled me to overcome many obstacles. That's the most important lesson for my students to learn.

Remember, proper nutrition, cardiovascular and strength training and vitamin supplementation all play a significant part in a successful recovery. It's a rough road back, but definitely worth it. Good luck to you!
lkallok/ RBHR 2-25-08, LBHR 2-28-11 Dr. Ari Pressman

chris finn

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
I am a 4th degree Master black belt in Tang Soo Do and my husband and I run a karate school. I am 13 days post op my second BHR on the left hip. I had the right hip done on 2-25-08.

With the right hip it took me a year and a half to get back to practicing martial arts but that was only because i had sciatic nerve damage and foot drop. However, my biggest drawback was fear. Once I started training I took it slow and didn't kick above the waist. I wasn't long before i was doing front snap kicks, roundhouse kicks and inside-outside kicks over my head again! I don't have all my flexibility back (my signature break was holding a board over my head and breaking it with my right foot.) I still have some difficulty with pivoting kicks but that was due to the arthritis in my left hip. Hopefully that will be resolved after this surgery!

The key is to take it slow and have the patience to let your body heal. The first time I had no choice because of the nerve damage (which is mostly resolved now) but this time there is nothing to hold me back and it will be hard not to overdo it.

I am a 52 year old female and for the past 20 years martial arts has been a very big part of my life. At one point I thought I would have to give it up but I didn't! I may not have the most perfect kicks but I am not ashamed to get out there with my students and take my husbands class. They know what I've been through. The perseverance, intensity and patience that I have learned through years of martial arts training have enabled me to overcome many obstacles. That's the most important lesson for my students to learn.

Remember, proper nutrition, cardiovascular and strength training and vitamin supplementation all play a significant part in a successful recovery. It's a rough road back, but definitely worth it. Good luck to you!

Excellent post.

Im learning these lessons the hard way....it doesnt pay to be too impatient. ;) ;) ;D ;D

Black belt at judo and tae kwon do by the way

kajubones

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 01:55:22 AM »
Many of the reports that I am getting about the no movement restrictions seems to be from the Birmingham device. I know that my doctor uses another one but I think you could be right about my misunderstanding him. I definitely am going to find out how much experience he has. Thank you for the advice (from everyone) I will definitely give myself a chance to heal and keep in touch. I am sure I will have hundreds of other questions, it is in my nature.

2nd degree black belt in Kajukenbo lives in San Francisco.

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
Your flexibility does come back, I've just started kicking again at 31 weeks, I've been running for a month or so. I've posted a detailed thread on my recovery in 'hip stories'. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:53:58 AM by gary2010 »

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
My surgeon used the Comet device on me, but I think they are all basically structurally the same, so that wouldn't cause any disparity in restrictions or lack of them. I'd talk to your surgeon, find out if those restrictions are for older total hip replacements, and maybe get a second opinion from a more experienced doctor like those commonly referred to here.

I know that I'm currently doing stretches that go well beyond 90 degrees at 7 (left) and 4 (right) months comfortably.

kajubones

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:20 AM »
Hello all,

I got my second opinion from another doctor and he did not say much about the differences between the devices but he did say that the Birmingham did not have any restrictions as the wright device did but not in so many words, he just kind of nodded knowingly. I was just happy to hear what he said that I did not even care about hearing the words. Anyway, that was about a month ago. Now my insurance denied the authorization for the out of network doctor to do the surgery :(. They said that I did not meet the required criteria for the authorization?!! On July 10th it will be one year since the pain started. I have been dragging myself to and from work trying to walk normally so as to avoid the questions about my limp. I also had to endure my supervisor asking me for a doctor's note after being out for only two days because I was in so much pain that I could not sleep. My hip hurts bad, I can even feel the pain in my knee, ankle and groin. How much more qualification do I need? The insurance company feels that my surgery is a routine procedure and that it was not an urgent matter and I was told that they still needed to review my records to make a decision. 5:00PM today I was told that my request was denied!! I am trying hard not to be depressed but this is just too much! Sorry, but I am just ranting now...

Lopsided

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 04:59:41 AM »
... another doctor and he did not say much about the differences between the devices but he did say that the Birmingham did not have any restrictions as the wright device did but not in so many words ...

Do what?

There are many different brands of resurfacing, and they should all provide unrestricted movement. I have got the Wright C+, Hernanu has got the Cormet, Gary has got the Finsbury, Chris - Birmingham, Mac - Biomet.

Are you sure you found a real resurfacing doc yet?

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about the insurance; maybe going to a different doctor within your network will help them change their mind.

It also would help to see a doctor that explicitly talks about the issue, without knowing looks that may be misinterpreted. If you look on the site, there are many doctors who are listed, maybe one is within your network and can give you at the least a thorough examination and some good information. I also think there are some folks here from the Bay area, so maybe they can give you their experience.

kajubones

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »
Hey Hernanu,

Thanks, it really does bite that the insurance denied my request. The Doctor that I wanted to get the surgery from actually checked with the insurance to see why I was denied and you were right, it was because the doctor was out of network. He told me of another doctor that is covered under my insurance and I am going to make an appointment to see him.

Regarding the restricted movements, when I first spoke to the first doctor I saw he told me that there would be restrictions in my movements due to possible dislocation and that lifting the leg above the knee was not something that I would want to do. I made sure that what we were talking about was the resurfacing and not the total hip replacement. At that time he said yes that the resurfacing was limited and that I would have to modify my movements if I wanted to go back to the martial arts. But I heard from others that they did not have limitations after their procedure, after healing and physical therapy of course, So I suspected that it was the device that made the difference. But now I am hearing different and when I emailed my doctor he did confirm that there are no limitations and that the only limitation would be due to body structure and muscle strength and my own flexibility.

Honestly, if that was what I was told before I would have been on the operating table long before he finished that sentence. I even saw the look on his assistant's face because she originally told me the same thing that I am hearing now about no limitations. But when the doctor told me that I have to modify my movements and that I could not lift my leg above my waist the assistant looked embarrassed. I did not say anything because I thought she just made a mistake and I did not want to cause her further embarrassment. Besides, after hearing the bad news from the doctor I was really depressed and wanted to think about what to do.

I don't know what to think about that whole thing. I just want to get rid of this pain and get my life back.

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
There are movement restrictions for most patients in the first 6 weeks, while the capsule heals, your hip will remind you instantly if you break them! Shortly after this period you find they all become irrelevant, then it's just a matter of building up the damaged muscles to get them in balance, stretching and conditioning etc. It does feel a bit like starting from scratch, as the muscle memory is impaired.

nekko

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43:48 AM »
your hip will remind you instantly if you break them!

Yeah Gary. I am currently experimenting this after today's PT session. I see this as a good way to listen much more to the body.
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat