+-

Author Topic: Pre Operative Hip Exercise Program  (Read 7523 times)

Pete Schultz

Pre Operative Hip Exercise Program
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
Hello all,
I am currently 9 weeks post op a L BHR from Dr Su in NY.  I have been an orthopedic PT in New York City for 12 years with a strong intrest in Hip Rehabilitation and have had pain in my left hip for about the same amount of time.  I had a hip arthroscopy in 2002 that bought me some time, and then had a Hip Resurfacing Dec 2010.  During my recovery from the Hip Resurfacing I started to develop a program that can be helpful to those who are awaiting surgery.  I would greatly appreciate feedback and sugestions on  exercises that may have been helpful to others in the group.
http://www.dynamicsportspt.com/preoperativeeducation.html
You can access the program by following the link above or going to DynamicSportsPT.com and clicking on Pre Operative education.
I look forward to hearing from you
Pete

toby

Re: Pre Operative Hip Exercise Program
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:35:03 PM »
Hi Pete,
Hope your recovery is going well.
Yeah, I've seen your previous posting (on Vicky's site I think) and found that useful. But this new page in my opinion is excellent-it contains a clear visual ,comprehensive and diverse range of exercises and approaches for pre, post and all hippies in their quest for strong, flexible hips.
Cheers
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
I would greatly appreciate feedback and sugestions on  exercises that may have been helpful to others in the group.
http://www.dynamicsportspt.com/preoperativeeducation.html
You can access the program by following the link above or going to DynamicSportsPT.com and clicking on Pre Operative education.

Hi Pete,
Pre-op excercise has been a large focus for me since making the decision to have a bilateral BMHR on the 8 April.  I have been working with my physio (www.bodyleadershipaustralia.com.au) that I have been working with in Brisbane, Australia pretty closely for almost a decade to manage my condition to get the best quality of life possible so it seemed natural to me to be pro-active after making the decision to have surgery.  We have added to the existing program that I have and kind of super-sized it by adding an extra pilates session (already was doing one) and hydrotherapy.  This is in addition to a weekly hands on physio treatment which involves connective tissue extension and trigger pointing to help with the tight spots and help with body alignment. (It's more than this - but I don't want to get sidetracked)  I have nearly no range in the external rotation of both hips (abduction) and have bone on bone on both sides, so things are a little more tricky :)   I really believe that if I get myself to as strong as I can be my post-op recovery won't be as difficult.  (I know it will be hard work but I want to be as prepared as possible.) I haven't had the surgery yet, so it's probably too soon to comment here!!  We have been documenting what I am doing and I would be happy to share that with you after surgery.  I have started a blog at http://bilateralhipreplacement.blogspot.com/ but this won't have the technical detail you are looking for at this stage.  I hope to add more as I go through the process of preparing and rehabilitating.  If I am able to help, please let me know, as I really believe in what you are doing as it closely aligns with what I'm doing for myself.

Lori
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:03:51 PM by Lori Cee »
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

lori.36

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
I used this routine like mad.  You made the foam roller my new best friend.  Thank you, I had no idea it existed.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements