+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre Operative Hip Exercise Program  (Read 8397 times)

Pete Schultz

Pre Operative Hip Exercise Program
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »
Hello all,
I am currently 9 weeks post op a L BHR from Dr Su in NY.  I have been an orthopedic PT in New York City for 12 years with a strong intrest in Hip Rehabilitation and have had pain in my left hip for about the same amount of time.  I had a hip arthroscopy in 2002 that bought me some time, and then had a Hip Resurfacing Dec 2010.  During my recovery from the Hip Resurfacing I started to develop a program that can be helpful to those who are awaiting surgery.  I would greatly appreciate feedback and sugestions on  exercises that may have been helpful to others in the group.
http://www.dynamicsportspt.com/preoperativeeducation.html
You can access the program by following the link above or going to DynamicSportsPT.com and clicking on Pre Operative education.
I look forward to hearing from you
Pete

toby

Re: Pre Operative Hip Exercise Program
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Hi Pete,
Hope your recovery is going well.
Yeah, I've seen your previous posting (on Vicky's site I think) and found that useful. But this new page in my opinion is excellent-it contains a clear visual ,comprehensive and diverse range of exercises and approaches for pre, post and all hippies in their quest for strong, flexible hips.
Cheers
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:27:59 AM »
I would greatly appreciate feedback and sugestions on  exercises that may have been helpful to others in the group.
http://www.dynamicsportspt.com/preoperativeeducation.html
You can access the program by following the link above or going to DynamicSportsPT.com and clicking on Pre Operative education.

Hi Pete,
Pre-op excercise has been a large focus for me since making the decision to have a bilateral BMHR on the 8 April.  I have been working with my physio (www.bodyleadershipaustralia.com.au) that I have been working with in Brisbane, Australia pretty closely for almost a decade to manage my condition to get the best quality of life possible so it seemed natural to me to be pro-active after making the decision to have surgery.  We have added to the existing program that I have and kind of super-sized it by adding an extra pilates session (already was doing one) and hydrotherapy.  This is in addition to a weekly hands on physio treatment which involves connective tissue extension and trigger pointing to help with the tight spots and help with body alignment. (It's more than this - but I don't want to get sidetracked)  I have nearly no range in the external rotation of both hips (abduction) and have bone on bone on both sides, so things are a little more tricky :)   I really believe that if I get myself to as strong as I can be my post-op recovery won't be as difficult.  (I know it will be hard work but I want to be as prepared as possible.) I haven't had the surgery yet, so it's probably too soon to comment here!!  We have been documenting what I am doing and I would be happy to share that with you after surgery.  I have started a blog at http://bilateralhipreplacement.blogspot.com/ but this won't have the technical detail you are looking for at this stage.  I hope to add more as I go through the process of preparing and rehabilitating.  If I am able to help, please let me know, as I really believe in what you are doing as it closely aligns with what I'm doing for myself.

Lori
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:03:51 AM by Lori Cee »
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

lori.36

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
I used this routine like mad.  You made the foam roller my new best friend.  Thank you, I had no idea it existed.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat