+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR model to buy? desk top conversation piece!  (Read 3209 times)

23109VC

BHR model to buy? desk top conversation piece!
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:47:18 AM »
When I was at Dr. Gross' office for my pre op visit, he had what looked like a drawer full of sample hip resurfacing impants.  He brought one into the room so I could see it, play with it, etc.  I remember asking him what it cost and he said the hospital price was $7000...

so these things are NOT cheap by any means... BUT I have to wonder, if there is a way to get a mock up / example of one?  I can't imagine the docotors have $7000 items lying around in drawers..the ones we see/play with in the office must be defects, or "seconds"...  :) or mock ups...  or maybe they are the real deal???

i just thought it woudl be cool to have one... I'm not going to spend $7,000 to get one, but if someone made a nice chrome looking example that one could put on the desk as a decoration..it would be kind of cool.  people woudl say "what is that" and you would have a neat conversation piece...

just a thought.

if nothing like this is available, and there is enough interest, I will look into it, and see what it would cost to get a mock up made and see how much it would cost??

let me know
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Lopsided

Re: BHR model to buy? desk top conversation piece!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:10:48 AM »
I want one as well. At least I would like one. Not a BHR, but a C+, 'cos that is what I have got.

I am sure they are expensive, but they cannot be $7,000 each. My operation in full cost 11,000 euros, and I am sure that most of that did not go towards the device. And does Dr. Bose not charge about $7,000 for the complete operation. So, I think they are cheaper, but perhaps, you cannot just buy one, you have to get a set including all the sizes and tools.

In some ways, I was a bit disappointed when I was in Dr. De Smet's office, and he handed me an actual C+. It seemed a little unimpressive, small shiny, and much like any bit of stainless steel I could get at the hardware store.

I have considered getting a twice or four times scale model made out of hardwood. I think that would be impressive, novel and of interest.

In the meantime I have a copy of the x-ray in my wallet.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:15:04 AM »
I am glad I'm not the only one with thoughts like this.  My graphic designer friend just doesn't understand why I want a vector image that is an artistic rendering of my BMHR device.  I want to have the plastic iphone case covered in little pictures of them :)  He is getting it sorted for me, just doesn't quite understand why. :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

23109VC

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:35:47 AM »
Ha!  I knew other people would want one!

Yes, I have the Biomet uncemented device too!

I thought it was neat looking, although pretty small.  I held the ace tabular cup upside down and spun the femoral component inside it like a top...wow it spun and spun! 

I'll have to look into how hard it would be to get a duplicate looking device.  I doubt Biomet sells them cheap! 

I don't have my xay in my wallet, but do have a photo of my xray in my iPad...... I have already shown it to everyone at work....  A shiny desktop version would be cool!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:38:59 AM »
LOL

I am afraid we've found some hippies for life.... ok hippy geeks for sure.

You guys are incorrigible ---- I love it!  We need like 10 more like you guys who will stick around for another 5 years answering new hippy questions.

:D

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »
I ran across a post where someone made a cane in the shape of a femoral head. I believe he is in England. Maybe he can make HR models that we can purchase. Might be a good side hustle.

I would love a chain and pendant.  I really would wear it. How about some cool T-shirts with some Funky sayings? I am a motivational speaker and I plan to develop a story about my experience with HR. Just want to recover first.   
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

dimples

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
I am insured & had my surgery done in the US.  The bill for just the Birmingham hip was $25,000!!! I agree that it would be fun to have one to show people.
LBHR
4/30/08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
I'd like to get two BHRs -- a bi-lat for my desk top.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »
Hippy Geek!

LOL

Chuck

I'd like to get two BHRs -- a bi-lat for my desk top.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
We're just proud members of the bionic brotherhood, and not afraid to proclaim it.

;D

As soon as they develop a good method to implant the nuclear fuel, I'm signing up.  I expect to be able eventually to outrun Steve Austin (the first one, not the wrestler).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:30:39 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
When I saw Dr. Gross' drawer full of parts, I thought maybe they were some of the prototype pieces that he gathered over time or pieces that could not be used for some reason. It's funny, but I thought the same thing. It would be cool to have a set of implants to play with and have on your desk as a conversation piece. I too would be interested in buying a set for that purpose.

I wonder if the makers of the implants would be willing to produce models for that purpose? They of course would not be made out of expensive material, maybe they could be made out of a stainless steel, and they would not be polished to the same precision of course, but good enough to show and play with.

Maybe they could be sold also as one of those stress relief objects?! I think I could entertain myself for a long time spinning and playing with one. But then I can be easily amused. :-[  I'll bet most Hippys would buy one. A gift for your the Hippy in your life!?  ;D 
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lopsided

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
As soon as they develop a good method to implant the nuclear fuel, I'm signing up.

Yes, me too. But I want uncemented nuclear fuel.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:42:55 PM by lopsided »

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
Wonder what the manufacturers do with the rejects?  There would have to be some that came off the line that didn't meet exacting standards, or that someone accidentally dropped and scratched pr dented slightly.  Maybe they melt them back down?  I somehow don't think their marketing teams would have suggested a scratch and dent sale...  :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

FlbrkMike

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:30 PM »
Wonder what the manufacturers do with the rejects? 

I think they sell them to the less experienced surgeons.

;)
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Lopsided

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
I found this at the local hardware store. Interestingly it had the letters d-e-p-u-y embossed on the underside.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat