+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Preparing for surgery  (Read 1490 times)

upthehill

Preparing for surgery
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »
Hi all you hipster's,

I am a 39 year old male and have been suffering with right hip pain for the last 9 years. I live in the uk so am preparing to have my surgery on our National Health Service (NHS). I have met with the surgeon who says he has over 1000 hip resurfacing procedures both private and on the NHS. He has great experience previously as THR hip surgeon who qualified in 1984. I feel I can trust him. My only concern is when I asked what device he uses I was expecting him to say the Birmingham but to my surprise he uses the cormet, because he prefers the instruments that he uses in the operation. My surgery is scheduled for 7th June I am overweight by about 2 stone and trying to lose some of that through diet and limited exercise. I know I am quite young for this procedure but have tried every alternative treatment over the last few years, it turns out my surgeon thinks I was born with a slightly deformed right hip. I have enjoyed along rugby career which was cut short 8 years ago by my hip problem, but I still struggle around the golf course slowly and hope to improve  my game once I have recovered from my surgery.

Cheers
Ian

Dannywayoflife

Re: Preparing for surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
Hi mate,
           where in the uk are you? Im also in the uk and im in  a similar possition. Although im 28! What is your surgeon called? I havnt had the op yet but from what ive read on here the most important thing is the surgeon and not the device.(although i am on a quest reserching all of the latest developments in HR devices!!)
All the best Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hipnhop

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
H, I am 7 days post op and I will tell you it's the best investment I made.  I am starting to feel like nomral. In fact I am scared if I heal to quickly I will forget I had surgery and start running. Do your research and get advice form others on the site and don't look back.

To be honest, I don't know what device they used. I think it is BHR but not sure. I just got to a point where I trusted my surgeons ( I had two - long story) and was over thinking things too much. I am not saying don't find out everything and ask all questions - I just got too consumed in worry. I did not realize controlling the "worry" was part of the preparation.

ALl the best,Ed

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

upthehill

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:57:46 AM »
Hi Danny I'm in west London at the west middlesex hospital. I was diagnosed with early arthritis of my right hip when I was 30 years old. I had a limp and was in pain constantly, but the doctors said I needed to live with it as long as possible. I had my hip x rayed every year up until 2006, the doctor said I still had to live with it although the pain was slightly worse. I then went 4 years without an x ray until may 2010. The consultant I saw was still not happy to proceed due to my age not condition as even I could see the arthritis was worse, so I left feeling very low wondering if I would ever get anyone to help me.
Continued through the summer in constant high levels of pain -never missing work- just struggling on. I thought to myself I'm going to give the NHS one more chance, went back in mid-October saw a different consultant who agreed how painful it must be and I'd suffered long enough.
To my relief they agreed to investigate further. It has taken from last October until the 7th of June to have the operation but I feel relieved to be on the waiting list and know the pain of the hip arthritis will soon be gone.
I hope this account is useful for you. They now have a lot more confidence in this operation than they did ten years ago. And may well offer it to you a lot earlier than me. Keep them under pressure and let them know how much it is affecting your life.
I hope you don't have to suffer as long as me. The other option is to seek a private advice.

cheers
Ian

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM