+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: sandpaper foot anyone?  (Read 2447 times)

gordo

sandpaper foot anyone?
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
I am 4 weeks post op. Had BHR on left hip. Shortly after therapy started I began to have the feeling of sandpaper on the  top side of my left foot. Now it is very sore to the touch, even wearing socks is uncomfortable. To make maters worse I am now experiencing jabbing pains sporadically from my ankle to the tips of my toes. Please tell me if anyone out there has had this and what, if anything, I can do?

maxi

Re: sandpaper foot anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »
im far from an expert but have had a bit to do with nerve pain over the yrs and this sounds like it could be that. it can manifest itself in strange ways ... sandpaper, itchy, numb, pins and needles and down right stabbing pain .....that could drop the strongest person ...   
my guess is you have a nerve irritation of some kind, and my advice would be to stretch and light massage to the area effected to try and loosen the muscles up.  whatever happens you should not do any more damage by doing this. sometimes nerve pain will just dissapear overnight, i have a crook neck that manifested itself in my arm, dropped me bigtime, 4 mnths off work, woke up one morning and it was gone, 8 yrs later still gone, so it can be a weirdo thing to deal with ...

good luck with it gordo ....

Paul
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

John C

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
I seem to remember that around 3-4 weeks, I had all kinds of strange sensations in my foot, including some pain, numbness, and tingling. In my case, it was pretty clear what was causing it. As I spent more time up and moving around, all of the fluid from the surgery was draining down into my foot, and it became very swollen, with some discoloration. I think that the swelling was pressing on some of the nerves. For me, the temporary solution was to elevate it (foot above heart) as much as possible whenever I was not up on my feet. In my case, it resolved itself as the swelling went away, and was gone by six weeks.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

gordo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »
thank you John C and Maxi,
I will follow both of your recommendations.
I waited 7 years to get this hip done. I had no longer any options yet this is truly is the rain on my parade.
Although after reading some posts, I am still doing great.
Looking forward to a good nights sleep soon.
Hopefully one day I may be able to share my recovery with someone.
Thank you again.
If anyone else has something to share...?
gordo

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »
I had something strange going on around the knee, I'd give it another month before you get concerned about it. Everything seems to go away eventually.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »
I think it's always worth talking to your doctor about any concerns, clears the mind if they say they've seen it before and it's fairly normal.

I had both hips done. On my left, I had intermittent feelings of heat on my calf and on top of my foot. That went away. The right had its own flareups, not severe, but it made me wonder a bit. Both are doing fine now, but I calmed myself by calling the surgeon and discussing things, as well as remembering that my muscles were used to going in different directions than they are now, so the re-adjustment may cause some transient issues.

I had severe pain and sciatica from the hips before the operations, which went away once they were resurfaced. I imagine that the realignment would also involve some readjusment of the path the nerves are using. At least it's not the sciatic pain that I had before, that's gone.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

gordo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
Thank you Gary and Hernanu,
I did call my surgeon and expect a call today.
I am very appreciative for all of this input and hopefully one day
will be able to return the generosity to others.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear