+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Osteo-arthritis in a hip joint that has been BHR?  (Read 8300 times)

ruxie100

Osteo-arthritis in a hip joint that has been BHR?
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:47:13 AM »
Hello,
I have been having pain when walking on my BHR hip, which was resurfaced in 2005. A GP doctor diagnosed the pain as being osteo-arthritis in the hip.
Is this possible to a hip that has had a BHR performed on it?
Ruxie100

dimples

Re: Osteo-arthritis in a hip joint that has been BHR?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:31:51 AM »
My hip was resurfaced in April 2008 & I have bone spurs on it and calcifications in the surrounding tissues.  Not a problem right now, but I'm afraid it will be in the future. :(

bdoughty

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »
Whoa. This is 1st I've heard of this one. Hopefully more people will chime in. I'm 4 wks post-op and delighted at the fact that arthritis pain is gone. I'd been terribly depressed if it were to return.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
 ???

Pretty hard to have cartilage loss when there's no cartilage.
Pretty hard to have "bone on bone" friction when the joint is MOM.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
If a GP doctor is a General Practitioner then I highly recommend seeing a bone doc or if possible, whoever did your resurfacing. A GP hardly has the skill to properly diagnose.

I agree with FlbrkMike, there is no cartilage to wear away or bone on bone. This is the first I ever heard of OA returning after surgery.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:20:49 PM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

John C

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
Clearly there is not going to be arthritis issues on the articular surfaces, since these are both metal surfaces. However, as one person mentioned, there is still potential for abnormal calcification and bone spurs forming around the edges of the acetabulum, which could possibly relate to impingement issues. Since arthritis is such a generic term, just meaning inflammation in or around a joint, it would probably be fair to refer to this as arthritis. I have not heard of it being common, but I believe that it can happen.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »
The clue is in the name, 'osteo-arthritis', there are other causes of inflammation, including auto-immune reactions, maybe get a blood test, and an x-ray of course. Send the latter to one of the leading surgeons on here who will give an opinion by e mail.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat