+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slow Recovery and Phonophoresis  (Read 2930 times)

Racquetballer

Slow Recovery and Phonophoresis
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:23:22 PM »
I had my hip resurfacing 13wks. ago and my recovery rate was quicker than expected. (Returned to racquetball 2/wkly. starting in 9th week post op.) Played for two weeks and stopped due to tennis elbow. In wk. 13, significant pain returned to hamstring and hip area. X-rays show implant to be ok. Doctor feels soft tissue is trying to heal and may be inflamed. I now have to go to physical therapy for 4wks. to have phonophoresis(?) so that a prescribed ointment can reach my deep tissue.

Has anyone had similar recovery experiences?
racquetballer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Slow Recovery and Phonophoresis
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:16:04 AM »
Hi
I am sorry but I don't have any knowledge of phonophoresis - so I looked it up and thought I would post some info about it.

What is Phonophoresis?

Phonophoresis is the use of ultrasound to enhance the delivery of topically applied drugs. Effectively, medicines contained within or under the ultrasound gel are pushed by the sound waves of the ultrasound and driven deep below the skin. Phonophoretically administered medications can penetrate the body much deeper than those massaged by hand over the surface of the skin.

Some medications can be delivered phonophoretically. The process is dependant on many, many factors. For example, the type of drug and its molecule size are critical. The drug molecule has to be just the right size to be picked up by the ultrasound waves and the right size to pass through the body tissue. As well, the medicinal molecule can't react with the ultrasound gel. It must also be able to survive the thermal and vibrational effects of the ultrasound. The delivery of medications via ultrasound is truly a science unto its own.

The duration of the treatment, and the need to specifically adhere to a specific dose size is also a large consideration. Obviously, the longer ultrasound is used over a topical phonophoretic drug, the more the medication is delivered and the deeper it goes. Drugs that require very exact dosing, like insulin for example, cannot be controlled accurately enough to be delivered via Phonophoresis. Many natural analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs though are excellent candidates for phonophoretic application.

One of the greatest benefits to delivering medications via phonophoresis is that the medication can be delivered locally to a desired area. Oral pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs are introduced to the entire body in equal amounts. Even if you only need pain relief in your tennis elbow or an anti-inflammatory in your swollen bursa, with oral medications you end up drugging your entire body - your brain, your heart, your lungs even if they might not need the drug. With phonophoresis, the part of the body that receives the medication is the part of your body that needs it.

Now we know what it is.  I have seen the untrasound used in PT, but never had it.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

coskater

Re: Slow Recovery and Phonophoresis
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:55:20 PM »
I had that done after repeated falling from jumps on the exact same spot, I also had deep tissue message afterward. It worked very well for me, if it hadn't I'd have a third butt cheek.

Leslie ;D
RBHR Treacy
10/2/07

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat