+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The epidural scares me  (Read 2015 times)

takilasunrise

The epidural scares me
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
Actually, the epidural scares me but I don't know why.  I have never had one before.  My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 22, 2008.  My daughter just had her first baby (my first grandchild) a month ago in which she went with the epidural.  She said it was great for labor!  And she didn't seem to have any after effects.  I was just reading in the yahoo forum where people were sick while on the epidural.  So, how I'm even more concerned.  I have my pre-op appt. on the 18th, so I guess I will ask the doctor what he thinks (and what he uses!).

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: The epidural scares me
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I thought I would give you your own topic, didn't think you would mind.

I think there are pros and cons for both the epiduarl and general anasthesia.  Many people seem to get sick from general anasthesia from what I have read.  Dr. De Smet, my surgeon, used a general anasthesia because he wants the body to be as relaxed as possible.  I knew I often got nauseated from medicines so I made sure to request that they give me something to make sure I did not get sick.  They did while I was in the hospital.  After leaving, I quickly found out what ever they gave me worked because I started to get sick from the codene pills they sent home with me.

No matter what you choose - but sure to tell your doctor and anasthesialogist that you are very concerned.  Speak up and make sure they take care of your potential problems. That way you will have more peace of mind.

Ask your doctor if you have a choice and also what he/she prefers.  After all, you are in their hands and they have the experience.  Be sure to ask questions during your pre-op appointment. 

I think the majority of people using both methods usually get along pretty well. There are always the exceptions - so it is good to have someone watching over you in the hospital that can speak up on your behalf.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Steve_R

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:14:19 AM »
Heya,

I had my op on the 10th Jan and had the epidural, I didn't realise they preformed one but there was no problems and I could wiggle my toes by the time I came around. I know this wont help with your worries but pre-op is probably a good time as you say to discuss things further.

All the best for the 22nd

Steve LBHR 10 Jan 08 - Dr Treacy

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
Thanks for the info. Steve!  I guess there shouldn't be much to worry about.  My daughter had her baby on 12/6/07 and was given an epidural, which she was very grateful for!  And if my daughter can do it, so can I.  She used to be a pretty big "baby" about pain and needles, but she got through an epidural and giving birth.  I will be able to do it, too! 

I hope you are recovering quickly, Steve, and that you are pain-free in no time! 

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
I just had my pre-op appt. with the ortho. surgeon and he puts his patients under general anesthesia.  Then for pain, you're hooked up to a medicine dispenser that you can control on your own through your IV (I had that with my gallbladder surgery).  I guess every doctor does something different! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat