+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Race Post Op Done  (Read 3448 times)

hipnhop

First Race Post Op Done
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
I'm happy to report that i successfully completed the Eagleman AquaVelo just a few days shy of my 3 month BHR anniversary.

My new hip met the challenge of a 1.4 mile swim and 56 mile bike race with strength and vigor.  I felt no pain in the operated hip during and after the race. I PRed in the swim with a time of 40 minutes and averaged 17.4 mph on the bike.

What was even more amazing was being able to run through Dulles airport with a 30 pd bag on my back immediately after the race.  I made my flight and am sitting on a five hour flight to Tacoma, WA.

My doc cleared me for all activity last week. She asked me to just use my head and stop when it hurts.  I'm working the elliptical like a cheap suit in preparation for running and training for an Ultra Aquavelo in Sept.  I just hope the non operated hip holds out for a few more months.

Wherever you are in the recovery process, things will  get better. You will get to where u want to be if u work at it and practice common sense.  The hip was designed to give us our active lifestyes back. It did what it's supposed to do.  I look forward to running a 5k before my 6 month anniversary.

It gets better.   

Edward DeJesus
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
Re: First Race Post Op Done
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »
WOW

That is so awesome!  At six months you'll be on fire...  Hope your 'other' hip can keep up with the pace!  (I think that we need to come up with a better way to describe 'the other' or 'non-operated' hip)

As an aside, what elliptical do you have?  I'm looking at buying one and there are so many options so I figure that something that can handle your training will certainly handle mine...  for a long, long time... lol...
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
Ed,

Another "feel good" post. I'm sitting here grinning after reading that one.  ;D  I used to be an avid runner but never competitively. Since I've "been fixed" I have a constant craving to get back into running and run my first 5K in a few months. Reading posts like yours just makes me even more hungry. Amazing, it seems like just a few days ago that you were having your surgery. You've got to be higher than the clouds right now.

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »
Thanks for the report Ed.  You are doing great. 

You are giving me hope for a quick recovery.  I just did the Grouse Grind in Vancouver BC in 53:30. It is a 2800 foot climb that is 1.8 miles long.  So I am trying to stay in great shape to make recovery better.

Yesterday was one of those days where the hip feels great.  But I know that the hip isn't getting better.  I will be having my surgery August 1st.

Keep up the inspirational posts for us future hippies.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
WOW

That is so awesome!  At six months you'll be on fire...  Hope your 'other' hip can keep up with the pace!  (I think that we need to come up with a better way to describe 'the other' or 'non-operated' hip)

I called mine Fredo while in between surgeries (Godfather fan here).

Ed - You are doing great. Doing a PR in the swim just shows the possibilities. Be careful, but keep it up, it is so good to see you doing this well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
Good job Ed. I had a client do the same race yesterday (Aquavelo). She said it was a great day for racing!! Congrats on your recovery. You should come out to our triathlon camp in March 2012. http://www.coachtroy.com/products/item65.cfm

best,

spencer

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »
Ed,

Outstanding!!!!  Must feel great!  I think you have given everyone, regardless of where they're at with their hip(s), great encouragement and hope today.a
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tommy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. Great to hear this.     

Tommy :o
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

AlanN

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
Top stuff Ed  :o
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

Dayton96

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Keep the upbeat posts coming!

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Nice job HnH.  I'm jealous.  I rode the unicycle this weekend for a short bit and operated felt great, un-operated hurt like hell.  Can't wait to get the next done.  I'll be back on the bike one of these days, just need to be steadfast and pick away at recovery.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

23109VC

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
3 months and you did all THAT!?!?!  WOW!  I'm impressed.... 

I'm at about 3.5 months...and while I"m back on the exercise bike, I'm not supposed to get onto a"real" bike until 6months... I guess us "uncemented" Dr. Gross patients have to be a bit more patient while we wait for the bone ingrowth to set in....

I'll really enjoy a long bike ride!!

TinSoldier - unicycle??  hey.. I have one of those! learned to ride it when I was a kid and still have it in the garage...I'll hae to take it out and take it for a spin around the block when I am cleared for "bike" riding!  cool to see someone else here can ride a unicycle....  weird skill to have for sure...  :) 

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Denver_wrench

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
Great job. And thanks for taking the time to encourage me while you were preparing for that race-I am over the moon so far with the results.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
Lori, I use the Precor EFX 546i at my local gym. I put the resistance at level 6-8 and the ramp height level 2-3.  I can't go much higher without some pain.  It does not have those annoying swinging arm handles. I am a mimic running as much as possible. I do not hold on to the railing.  I normally go 1 hr averaging about 6 miles per workout.

I dont know the benefit on increasing the height. I guess it works the quads and hams harder. I think it just places too much pressure on hips so I keep it low and fast. I think it is a great way to get ready for running.  I am looking for alternatives to outdoor running. UI think I will include this as an option in addition to pool running. I want to put in the time but not the pounding. I want my BHR to last as long as possible.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
Lori, I use the Precor EFX 546i at my local gym. I put the resistance at level 6-8 and the ramp height level 2-3. 

I'd love a Precor, I just dont love the price tag :) I was thinking that I'd get one for home to increase my usage of it and I figured that if I'm going to drive somewhere for exercise at the moment it's should be the pool.  Hmmm,  I might have to reassess the strategy...
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).

Anniee

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
Lori Cee, I don't know about you, but I have a difficult time getting my heart rate up in the pool.  Perhaps having some really hot guy in there with me would work, but that hasn't happened so far, so I rely on the elliptical in my gym.  No impact (very important for my bad hip) and gets your heart rate up quickly.  I have one at home too.  They work the same, but the one at the gym has the TV screen attached to it.   If you want to get one for home, you should climb on one at the store and try it out, to make sure it is stable and moves smoothly.  It does not have to be top of the line to give you a good workout, but it does need to not wobble or be unstable!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
Annie - I tried an elliptical out at the mall the other day and it felt pretty great.  I thought it would be a good way to increase my walking type activity since I'm still a bit wary to go walking on my own (with hills and a crutch, I have visions of myself getting somewhere and not being able to get home).  I'm still doing all of my other exercises but it really feels like I need that little bit more.

I find that the pool work is doing wonders for my progress and don't want to ditch that either, so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds :) (No hearts racing there but it is still working well for me!!)

I have only tried out the one so far, so I really should go to a place that has a lot of brands to compare.  I have a TV in the room I'd probably put it in so I don't need that feature :)

hipnhop

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
Speaking of hotties in the pool! - I deep water run with some hot honnies - 70 year old plus ladies with cool swim hats getting their grove on. I love speaking to them while I water run around them like a shark. It's hilarious. They kick me out when the water aerobic class starts.  I told them I was only gonna workout to Barry Manilow music.

Seriously, don't worry to much about getting your heart rate up in the pool. I can rarely get mine over 121. I tried wearing my heart monitor and it's useless. I just do 3 minutes fast and 1 minute easy for about an hour.

Anniee

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
Hipnhop, I would love to see a video of your pool workout with the honnies!  I bet they love watching your sharklike moves! 

I did not mean to imply that pool exercises are a waste of time, only that I personally need to do something else to elevate my heart rate.  I would be quite happy if I could get it over 120 in the pool!  For me it takes either running (which I'm not allowed to do), or the elliptical.  Lori Cee, I'd be interested to find out what kind you settle on if you buy one.  The one I have at home does not have a TV screen attached either - I used to keep it in a room with a TV. That worked just fine.  Right now, it's in my garage, and I use the one at the gym.  There is no real difference in terms of the kind of workout I get.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear