+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: French resurfacing experience w/ Dr Migaud  (Read 6342 times)

nekko

French resurfacing experience w/ Dr Migaud
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Time has come to put here my humble contribution  ;)

I am a 52 male, French guy, and was diagnosed with OA on the left hip in 2009. I am also a runner and Karate wado-ryu practitioner and I could not imagine stopping (now) these physical activities.
My first search was about finding on the net the right surgeon in France that can offer some alternative solutions.

Surgeon searching
Resurfacing is not so common in my country compared to UK or USA. Most of the surgeons are "THP" minded and I had to meet 3 of these gentlemen. The last one, Dr Migaud, from Hospital University of Lille, was the right one. He is one of the very few surgeons in France who owns a real experience in hip resurfacing (more than 250 HR) . He has also expertise on hip reconstruction and revision of infected prosthesis. In addition to this, he knows very well the problem of martial arts, dancers, and athletes with early OA. I immediately got confidence with him.

Alternative solution 2 years before surgery
So, in 2009, he proposed me SYNVISCtm (hyalauronic acid ) injections into the hip joint, in order to save some time before surgery. This acts as a bumper but doesn't create any new cartilage. I had one injection every 6 months and it has helped me a to get back some range of motion without too much pain. Unfortunately, pain has increased drastically at the beginning of year 2011 and time has come to apply for a resurfacing procedure. Another reason is that I do not wanted to take anti-inflammatories and pain killers ad vitam eternam.

Before Surgery: helpful things
I must say that this site has been a great help for me before and after surgery. Thanks again, Pat and all of you, resurfaced brothers and sisters.
Another helpful point is to establish a good and understandable communication with your surgeon. Since we are all "wired" differently, we have different behaviour when facing major surgery.
There are those who want to know and there are others who doesn't. As an engineer, I am one of these guys who wants to understand the "logic behind the why".
I know it is not obvious, because most of us are not especially medicaly trained, and I have to get familiar with terms like approach, acetabulum, femoral head, BHR, MoM, THR, and so on....
So, I have sent many questions to Dr Migaud and he answered to all of them, very quickly, with clear explanations.

I did not perform intensive exercises before surgery, just trying to get relax and mentally prepared. The only unexpected event was a (very) hard sinusitis 48 hours before procedure. I must admit this event has put me under stress because of having the surgery delayed for several months.Fortunetely, the procedure has been delayed for only 3 weeks, which was a very good new for me.

Surgery Day
I have been taken off my room around 11:00 am and got some oral premedication.
Surgery started with spinal anesthesia. All the bottom of the body is numb while you are 100 % conscious. Asbolutely painless. This would be my choice again if I had to redo it.
Surgery went well, without complications and lasted about 90 minutes.
I woke up in the recovery room, fully alert with a clear head and no pain or nausea.
I stayed there until I was able to move slighly my toes, meaning that the effects of spinal anesthesia has gone away. It took about 2 hours for this. Then, I was transfered back in my room.

Day+1
Blood drain pipes pulled out from the scar. Wake up (!) , standing and a few walking on 2 crutches (about 10 feet/ 3 meters distance)
Dr Migaud showed me on the X-ray print the device called "Conserve+" he put in my hip. We also discussed about how surgenty went. I got a 52 mm diameter femoral cup.

Day+2:
Infusion needles removed; morphine stopped; walking on 2 crutches (50 feet / 15 meters distance). PT started (one hour)

Day+3:
Walking on 2 crutches (100 feet / 30 meters distance) PT (one hour).
This is Sunday. Dr Migaud came for a visit in the afternoon. Simple and straightforward. Just a really nice guy.

Day+4:
Walking on 2 crutches (200 feet / 60 meters distance). PT (one hour,center feeling, slow weight transfert left leg/right leg)

Day+5:
PT (one hour,stairs climbing / descending using 2 crutches and One crutch + wall ramp)

Day+6:
PT (one hour, tring to walk with use only one cructh. Painful. Got back using 2 crutches)

Day+7:
Back to home. after 4 hours ambulance transfer. No PT today

2 weeks post op:
Now, I can use one crutch instead of two. Pain level is very low excepted on the "rear side" of the knee. I have read on this forum many topics about knee pain after surgery but was mostly about "front side" pain on the knee. I suppose this is part of the healing process...

3 weeks post op:
Still need a cane but pain has gone off. Staples has been removed and shows a clean scar.
Thanks to PT, I have been able to "reprogram" my brain in order to have a 50 % natural weigh distribution on each leg. I have used a weigh scale and a big book with the same thickness as the weigh scale. Left foot on the weigh scale and right foot on the book is a good way to sense the correct position. Next PT sessions will be dedicated to reduce the remaining stiffness I can feel in my operated tight.

4 weeks post op:
Having my muscles under tension. Got serious pain (again) in the rear side of the knee. Perhaps should I ask my PT about more stretching exercises. My immediate goal is to get rid of these cramps and then throw the cane away.

5 weeks post op:
Pain at rear side of the knee has totally gone, thanks to stretching exercises. No need for using a crutch but I am walking with a slight limp. Now focusing of getting more stability / less limp during walking.

6 weeks post op:
Check up with Dr Migaud. ROM tested OK. Got some pain when jumping on the operated leg only. Pain gone after a few hours.

Cost:
With the French health system, all the direct medical expenses are 100 % supported by the "Securite Sociale" meaning that I had to pay only extra costs for having a single room, telephone and TV set (about 60 USD/day). I never had such heavy surgery in my life, but I appreciate our "good old health system" even if I have paid a very small amount of my salary during all these past working years
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:06:57 PM by Pat Walter »
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

einreb

Re: French resurfacing experience
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
Congratulations and thanks for the write up.  Its interesting to see how other systems work and I'm glad that its worked out for you.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the write up, nekko - it's always good to hear about the experience in each country, will probably help your countrymen to have good information about HR. Good to see you're doing so well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »
Very interesting story, nekko. I don't believe I have seen any write ups from France. Like bernie said, it's interesting to see how other systems work. Good story.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 05:50:29 AM »
Do you get good food in a French hospital?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

nekko

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
Food was OK and only water is allowed for drinking. I got no problem on this side, of course  ;) 

lori.36

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
Hi Nekko,  Nice write up.  Looks like we progressed at the same rate and I am not even French!   ;)
I applaud you for being a pioneer on this surgery in your country.  Hope all is going well with you.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

nekko

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
Good to hear from you, Lori. Next week, will be the 2 months post-op mark. I must admit that I am less present on this forum and more present on my mountain bike   :) :) :). Regarding recovery process I still have a light limping after a full day at work.

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »
Nekko, I know what you mean about not being on the site and just plain forgeting about the surgery itself.  I cannot believe that today marks 9 weeks for us.  I am walking without a limp, able to walk a mile in 18 minutes with my friend, ride my bike and just enjoy life without pain.  :)
I went to PT and he asked if I was doing his exercises and I said no, to busy staying active.  Needless to say I got no new exercises.  ROM is great on me.  I am working on getting my operated ankel on my opposite knee, still tight there, but getting better.

Nice to hear from you and glad you are enjoying your summer also.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

nekko

Re: French resurfacing experience w/ Dr Migaud
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 07:37:20 AM »
Dear Resurfaced Sisters & Brothers,
Dear Pat,

Just to say that I reach the One-Year mark with my bionic hip and I can say that I really got my life back. I was back on the tatami 6 months after surgery, enjoying Karaté again without any pain. Just taking care about flexibility when doing mawashi geri. There is absolutely no pain in the join. I have a strange feeling that the operated side is stronger than the non-operated one !

Cheers
Nekko

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
Congratulations, nekko and really glad to hear you're doing well. Flexibility comes, that kick is fine for me at 18 months. Good that your operated side is doing fine.

lori.36

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
HI Nekko,

It is I your surgery sister.  I am also doing great at my 1 year.  Able to do my yoga, swimming and bike riding.  It is funny because my operated hip is now my good hip!  It looks like I am going to have to have surgery on my other in the future, starting to get the clunking and twinges.  I still have not had that flat tire, so hopping I got another year.  :)

Lori
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
Great post, you are well on your way to recovery.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

nekko

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
Lori, good to hear that you are doing great and hoping that you will join the "bilat" club as late as possible  ;)
Hernan, do you mean that hip flexibility could still improve  :) :) :) between 12 and 18 months ?

Cheers
Nekko

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
Definitely, nekko - I am getting more and more flexibility on my kicks, started working on my hook kicks (still about chest level now), my goal is (in due time, not rushing things) to do axe kicks for front flexibility, a good extension side kicks, crescent kicks the way I did before (knee brushing the chest), wheel kicks and jumping kicks.

Absolutely not really practical kicks, but pretty as heck and would let me know I had graduated back to my old abilities.

nekko

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »
Dear Resurfaced Sisters & Brothers,
Dear Pat,

Just to say that I reach the Two-Years  :) :) mark now. Still very happy with my C+ hip.

Cheers
Nekko

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
Nekko
Thanks for updating us.  Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary.  I hope you have many, many more - I am sure you will.

I have your story posted here

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/additional-stories/293-nekko-hip-resurfacing-professor-migaud-2011

Hopefully you will check in next year at this time.  I try to put most of the stories on the main website. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
Good to hear from you Nekko! Congratulations, how is the martial arts going?

evant

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
Well done - glad all is well.

Enjoyed reading your original post too as it was before I joined this site.

I did pass through Lille one year ago - interesting to know they do resurfacing there.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
Great to hear from you nekko!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)