+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stride or training changes post op  (Read 4567 times)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Stride or training changes post op
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
As I am preparing for my athletic life as a hippy, I am trying to figure out my return to running.  I figure running is going to be more repetitive impact on the joint than my other normal sports endeavors.

I have read a few posts where people have talked about altering their training.  I am assuming this is to minimize the wear on the implant.  I would think we all want to minimize the amount of metal ions in our systems and also prolong the life of the implant and put off or eliminate the need for a THR.

I am interested to hear any changes you have made to your training.  Have you shortened your stride or lowered your center of gravity?  Have you substituted pool running or elliptical?  Have you tried to eliminate mileage and make it only quality workouts?

I want to keep my BHR device as long as possible while balancing that with enjoying the activities I love to do.

Thanks.
Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

brown1sc

Re: Stride or training changes post op
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
I'm three weeks post-op with Dr. Gross, and feeling amazing.  Also can't wait to return to full activity and workouts, but certainly wish to approach exercise in smart and prudent manner.  Would also be interested in hearing workout changes after surgery.

blinky

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
First of all, did you see this? http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=3941.0

The resurf to 5K program?

I am like you, not running yet, just dreaming about it. At thirteen weeks out, I am walking, swimming, and trying to get stronger.

JHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »
After six when you're cleared you can do anything short of impact and extreme stretches. The key is to ease in gradually and listen to your body. Don't push through pain, stop just shy of it. You'll get there, don't worry. I'm 14 months out and there's nothing I can't do. I didn't have a particular regime. The link blink posted is great and echoes that same sentiment, just ease in (of course you have to wait at least six months before any running is okay).
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:35 AM »
There are a lot of variables here and it will be different for everybody. I am a couple of weeks from my first run yet so limited experience but my thoughts are:
  • A lot depends on how fit you were going in to surgery
  • Get a programme from a physio (I checked with mine that she had previous experience of patients with HR)
  • Be diligent with the strengthening exercises before starting dry land running
  • Do some aqua jogging before dry land running
  • If you have access to an underwater treadmill, use this as well (be warned, its really hard work!)
  • I wouldn't drastically alter your running stride or technique. Take the opportunity to tidy up any bad habits whilst running slowly and low milage but no more than that
  • Build a bit of a milage base before trying to add intervals or speed work
My date with the treadmill is 1st March, cant wait!

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

brown1sc

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »
Truly amazed at how great I feel after just 24 days.  Saddened that suffered for so long being completely ignorant of this procedure.  Look forward to my six week checkup and moving on to the next phase of recovery.  Thanks for all the great advice.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
The Number One, most important, thing you need to do when you return to running is to get a pair of Hoka One One running shoes.  Preferably the Bondi or the Stinsen, they are the most cushioned models.  These were introduced to us by Hip-n-hop, our old buddy who went on to complete Ironman less than a year after his second resurfacing.  The make every run feel like you are running on a pine needle covered trail.

Second rule: stay off of he roads for training for the first year.  Run on a trail, grass , running track or any other soft surface.  Give your new joint and the muscles and tendons some extra time to recovery from the surgery.  If you want to race on the road OK, but do you training on a soft surface.

Don't be in a rush, but don't be too cautious.  It's a marathon not a sprint.

I'm now at around 4.5 years from bilateral surgery.  I started running at 6 months but didn't race until one year.  I've been on a role ever since.  I'll be running a very hilly 15k road rae next month expecting to take an award in my age group, racing the toughest trail run and road bike duathlon in the country expecting the same in May and running the Big Sur Trail Half-Marathon in September hoping to finish in the money.

Once you recover, there are no limits on what you can do!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

shoraztri

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:22 PM »
Hi Woodstock Hippy,
A fantastic post and summary of to accomplish a successful re-hab. I basically followed your advice to the letter, and now I am reaping some great rewards in racing and results.
The biggest clue is    Its a Marathon, not a Sprint!!. :D
Will soon post here of my nice Tri success in racing this 2016 year. :D ;)
Cheers,
Kiwi Boy down Under.  :P
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear