+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone had an FAI scope done?  (Read 4067 times)

David

Has anyone had an FAI scope done?
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has had a FAI scope done prior to BHR surgery.
After reading many of your stories about recovery after BHR surgery, it sounds like
the two are not very different as far as progression and recovery time.
Thanks.
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Lopsided

Re: Has anyone had an FAI scope done?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
Resurfacing is not a temporary repair, it is completely new and engineered articulating surfaces.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
David I had arthroscopy on my hip in October last year and I'm presently waiting to get resurfaced. From my understanding and having spoken to several surgeons about Arthroscopy they all say it works if done early enough. If OA is well established then like I found it won't really do much.
On the subject of FAI if you have the cam type impingement it does make RS slightly more complex according to Mr Treacy as it's alot harder not to notch the femoral neck. So if you have cam type FAI it makes it even more inportant to pick a top notch surgeon!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

David

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »
I do understand what each procedure entails.  I had the arthroscope and microfracture done almost 3 years ago and was just wondering if anyone had the experience of having both arthroscope and then afterward had the BHR surgery.  I am just trying to prepare my mindset for the road to recovery after the BHR surgery.
Thanks.
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

John C

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
I had my hip scoped, and then resurfaced about five years later. The recoveries for me were very different. After the scope, I had virtually no swelling, easy mobility, and no pain except for with weight bearing. I was energetic and active from the start. I was off crutches in about a week, and skiing in a little over a month.
My resurfacing recovery involved a fair amount of swelling, very limited mobility, and more overall discomfort. I found myself to be very tired, with lots of naps for the first couple of weeks. I was on crutches for about five weeks, and did not ski for six months, thought it felt like I might have tried at about three.
The arthroscopy felt like a minor tuneup; the resurfacing felt like major surgery.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
Minor tune-up - I can hear the air-driven lugnut driver right now. 

Another difference in the 2 might be the length of the scar :o
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:36:59 AM »
Arthroscopy is an easy recovery, but if you're over 40 and have significant OA I wouldn't bother. It just compromises the conditions for resurfacing. For me it was a spectacular waste of time and money. The relief didn't survive my return to activity.

David

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Thanks John...I think :-\
I feel the same way Gary...the scope got my hopes up and made me work very hard at recovery, but my strength and usefulness continued to decline...
One more week until my appointment with Dr. Su, so looking forward to it.
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

John C

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »
Hi David,
The bad news is that the initial part of the recovery is a lot tougher :-\
The good news is that the arthritis issues are finally gone, so it is worth it ;D
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »
I had a scope done. After they went in they found the cartilage to be VERY bad (I have the video) even thou I had good joint space.  I formed horrific heterotopic ossification and lost more mobility even after going thru months of painful rehab. I almost forgot I developed a limp. Just had a resurfacing that was complicated by the H/O 5 weeks ago. I am now better than I was before the first surgery although the leg is quite a bit weaker.

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:21:54 AM »
I had hip athroscopic surgery done a year ago and I am looking at either resurfacing or THR this winter.  I had a severely torn labrum, bone spurs and an impingement (don't remember if it was cam or pincer type).  My surgeon was honest and said it was worth a try but in 5 years I would be at the replacement stage.  I lasted one year (barely).  For me some of the immediate and excruciating pain was removed that was caused by the labral tear.  I really wanted to try it since it was conservative.  Within 6 months of the surgery I knew my hip wasn't right and in another 6 months I was diagnosed with severe arthritis with large areas of bone on bone.  I still had joint space before for the surgery.  When I had a one year follow up my surgeon was surprised how quickly the OA had progressed.  I was willing to try it but it didn't help me out a whole lot.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

littleb

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I had the scope initially for torn labrum. Once Dr Kelly got in he found impingement that he took care of to and ragged looking cartilage which he trued to smooth over. I got the 65% improvement but it was clear that further hip surgery was down the road. I think the scope took longer to get going again from initially. I went back to work which is very physical and 18 months after the scope I was off to see Dr Su for resurfacing vs THR. Three months later I had my BHR. Dr Su did comment that my hip wasn't quite as bad as he had expected so I was able to get the BHR. Timing is everything I guess. I will say I was in much better shape 6 weeks after the BHR than the scope, probably because the pain within the joint was gone, the scope never left the joint painless.

Good luck.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

David

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »
Aerial & Littleb,
I had the scope done 11/08 for an impingement, as well as microfracture and labral tear repairs.  Dr. Coleman at HSS thought it would give me another 5 years before replacement was needed.  It never gave me too much relief and has been a slow spiral to the pain cave since.
Scheduled for the resurface with Dr. Su on 8/29.  Looking forward to it for sure, but a bit anxious!
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Anniee

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
David, it is natural to be a little worried before the surgery - after all, resurfacing is pretty major surgery!  You have picked one of the top surgeons, so I have no doubt that everything will go just as planned, and that you will be very glad you had the surgery.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 01:27:04 AM »
David-

I second what Ainee said.  I just had my hip done three weeks ago.  I had months to think about it.  And I had a few doubts.  It has been great!

In the end it was the face the pain was eating away at my life.  And it won't get better on its own.

I picked one of the top surgeons and one of the best devices.  That is what I can control.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat