+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canceled my surgery!  (Read 2316 times)

strost

Canceled my surgery!
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
 :) Thanks for all the advice and input I've gotten in the past few months. Through a variety of natural and high tech modalities, my pain level is low enough that I canceled my surgery a few months ago. It was actually suppose to be today. Do I think I'm permanently out of the woods - definitely not, but I'm excited not to be going under the knife at 47. Although I've researched over 125 modalities ranging from diet, exercise, lifestyle modifications, energy work, and supplementation, I've narrowed it down to a few things that helped me the most. Much of it is supporting the body at a cellular level as well as retraining muscles and the nervous system to work correctly again (would need this even if I had the replacement). There are many reasons that I believed caused my hip to wear out at an early age. Just wish I would have known and been able to address some of the things sooner - chronic inflammation and compensation patterns and more. Happy to share what I've learned - probably need to write a book someday. Feel free to email me and I'll share what I've learned and experienced as it would be applicable to post op as well.

Also, I'd be interested in finding someone who has had difficulty with their resurfacing to see if I could help them with an energy work modality called Integrated Healing. Sometimes the body is not accepting of the implant at some level - consciously or unconsciously. Just because you are having problems does not mean this is at the root of it, but the mind body connection is very powerful. I've not had a client where this came up, but if I find one I'd be willing to do the work at no cost to see if I can help you. If you are in CO, all the better. However, the work can be done via proxy at a distance too. Again - just email or message me.

Good luck and thank you to everyone!
Susan

Jeremy76761

Re: Canceled my surgery!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
Hi Strost,

A friend of mine also is into the reconnection work you mention. Not my approach, but still, I'd be interested in sharing info with you and your 125 modalities. I haven't had a resurfacing and have been developing strengthening exercises for some time. My dx may be newer than yours but still the same disease. You mentioned email above: how might you be reached?

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
The whole idea of resurfacing is that it is better than all the alternatives. No one relishes the idea of surgery if they do not need it, and there are things you can do to condition yourself before the operation.

There are a few highly experienced surgeons in the world, who have an exceptional knowledge of hip joints and the entire body.

I cannot believe Susan, that you have cured yourself and now feel your are qualified to help people with failing resurfacing.

If you cancelled your surgery at forty seven, that is your decision. I am glad I had my surgery at forty seven.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
Susan, we all take different paths, I'm glad that you've found a way to cope with the pain and I can see you're not ready for the surgery.

Keep your mind open and be aware of your body, so that if and when you feel you do need the surgery, you proceed with it as optimistically as you are proceeding with this alternative way to deal with the pain. Good luck.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »
I did not get my hips resurfaced because I was at a high enough pain level that I could just not take it any more and did not know what else to do about it. I got them resurfaced because I was bone on bone and my range of motion was so bad I could not do activities that I used to be able to do. Not just athletic activities but every day routine stuff. Pain was just one issue I had to deal with.

If you are much better now, that's wonderful. But I wonder what your hips look like with an x-ray? Have you lost cartilage and do you have build up of bone along the edges that is causing not just pain but limited ROM? I'm not saying you should have gone through with the surgery, that's a personal decision that only you can make and no one else. I'm just wondering if you were at a stage bad enough that you needed surgery now.

Integrated Healing can not regrow cartilage or disintegrate the bone build up along the edges of the hip joint. 47 is not too young for HR if it is necessary. If what you have learned and what you practice keeps the knife away for a while and you are not experiencing any limitations good for you. Hip resurfacing is not just about pain.

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
Susan, I send you good vibes and thoughts of total healing.  The mind body connection can't be discounted as it often is.  Good luck. HR is always an option. We'll be here if you need us.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

strost

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
Thanks for the responses - Just wanted to clarify a few things.
1. I never claimed I have cured myself. I even said "that I'm not permanently out of the woods." My pain level is 0-2 despite being bone on bone and "one of the worst hips we've seen". My limp is improving too. I'm working out again and even skied this past winter. I don't have full range of motion by any means. However, I will get a follow-up x-ray in a year or so to see if there are any physical changes that have taken place. However, with rapidly advancing technology, if I can buy a few years at my young age what other bone and muscle preserving or stem cell options will be available? Trust me, I did my research on this website and had a fantastic surgeon lined up. Just knew someone needed that spot much more than I did today.

2. I did not claim that I'm any kind of hip device failure expert. I do have some certifications and training in energy work. Do I think the mind and body not accepting a medical implant is the issue behind every failed implant? No way. Could it make a difference in some people? Maybe. I know others who have worked with people that had medical implant come up as the correction and they had great success with it. No I'm not a surgeon or MD. However, my research and training has helped me better understand the body at a cellular level as well as an energetic level. I have had clients who were not helped by traditional medicine get results with a variety of energy modalities and technologies. Ultimately, I believe God designed the body to heal itself.  The mind and body are incredible machines, so I believe anything is possible. I've seen things that defy logic and what I think is possible. Do I do any healing? Again no - all credit goes to the person being ready and open to healing and to God. My offer to see if I can help someone with that issue (medical implant) is to gain experience with an issue that is near and dear to my heart and second to hopefully make a difference in someone's life. Even though my college education was in traditional type medicine, I don't question the more natural and alternative path I'm on or the health challenges I've had. Everything happens for a reason.

3. If I get to the point where surgery is the best option, then I will definitely embrace it and be glad that there is the technology available to help me. The point about accepting the surgery is spot on. I had a series of injuries to my back last year and ultimately had a ruptured disc with a severely tented sciatic nerve. When I eventually choose the surgery to remove the obstruction, I made sure my attitude and mind were very positive about it versus dreading it. I believe it makes a big difference in the recovery process.

Everyone will choose a path that is right for them and everyone's journey is different. I just wanted to share my experience as well - after all it is a very happy story.

Take care,
Susan

strost

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
I wanted to apologize for my late night defensive response. I was so excited to be spending the night racing go carts with my family rather than lying in a hospital bed 1/2 way across the country. It really deflated me to see a post that twisted my words and intentions. I thought the purpose of this board was to share experiences, knowledge and support others. I would hope all journeys would be welcome on this site not just the ones that are researching or post surgery.

Dayton96

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
No problems Susan.  You will have the surgery when you are ready and only you can decide when that will be.  In the mean time, I might suggest you have those x-rays once every six months instead of once a year, and please keep posting.  I'm four months post op and always interested in ways to improve my own healing process. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Waterman1

• CG Captain, Freedive, Surf
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 09:53:16 AM »
Hey, Strost: I have a similar story as you. I have come to this board to decide on scheduling surgery or not. Long story short, I am in my 50's now, was a 5.0 level tennis player until about 3 years ago, ex-minor league baseball player, and for years I thought my leg pain was due to back problems until a hip xray confirmed my left hip was 'the worst ever seen'! Three years later, I am still debating the HR, although I have found the right surgeon and am somewhat convinced to go forward with surgery. I swim, freedive, do pushups, situps and have lost a little leg strength but not too much. I would think getting my legs as strong as possible prior to surgery is top priority. Susan, I want to know more about what you are doing, please...

lori.36

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »
Susan,  I admire you for trying alternative therapy to cope.  I did also and it kept me out of surgery for 9 months.  Truth be told I was not ready for surgery prior.  You will know when you are ready, because it is you that will get the surgery!  It is you that will have to do the recovery of the surgery, and it is you that will receive the benefits of the surgery!
I think that is really nice of you to offer to work with someone in Colorado also, I am in Colorado!  I think my device is working just fine but I just wanted to say hi and send you some support.  Feel the light sister.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »
Susan,

Glad you are doing better pain wise and glad to hear that you understand that you are not cured, short of a successful stem cell transplant (that's coming someday) you will of course need surgery, it's not a matter of "if", it's just a matter of when.

What I wanted to add to this thread is that you have a surgical window of opportunity where if you wait too long you will not be a candidate for HR. It's possible if you wear your acetabulum too much you might need a more involved surgery even if it was a total hip surgery.

I had periods where I thought I was fine early on, but then it would come on with a vengeance and the pain was such I could only walk 50 yards at a shot. 

BTW, the average age for hip replacements is around 50 if I am remembering correctly, so you are not all that young statistically.

You are in good company here, lot's of information can be found on this site, I would suggest reading some of the hip stories of people who waited, I was a few months away from not being able to get an HR. 

I would strongly suggest you stay in touch with your surgeon and make an educated joint decision with him or her as you only get one shot at a successful HR in most cases.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat