+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg Length Discrepency  (Read 8994 times)

lameduck

Leg Length Discrepency
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
I've recently been told that I will need my right hip replaced and was hoping that hip resurfacing would be a good alternative. However, I read on several medical sites that individuals with a leg length discrepency of more than 1 cm are not candidates for hip resurfacing. Unfortunately, I have a slightly greater length discrepency - approximately 1.5 centimeters. The hip on the longer leg is the one that needs the tune-up. Other characteristics, if they matter: 5'6", 162 pounds and very fit (except for my hips). I ran ultramarathon trail races for 15 years and continue to get aerobic exercise as much as possible using elliptical trainers and participating in spinning classes. I also work out with weights at least four times a week and stretch every day to try to maintain flexibility.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:09:29 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Leg Length Discrepency
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »
Hi lameduck

Welcome to Hip Talk.

You can have your leg lengthened with hip resurfacing if you use an experienced surgeon.

Vicky who is a moderator and Technical Contributor to my website had her leg lengthened by 6mm.

Here is her post explaining the leg lengthening

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=146.msg780#msg780

Please don't believe everything you read until you actually talk with experienced surgeons.

Dr. Bose of India, Dr. De Smet of Belgium, Dr. Gross of SC and a few other US doctors will give you free consultation via email if you send them your x-rays in a digital format  .jpg

They are some of the best in the world and have a great deal of experience. Dr. Bose over 1000 resurfs, Dr. De Smet over 3000 resurfs and Dr. Gross over 1000. 

The best information comes from experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.  Get it straight from the horses mouth. 

If you are use to running ultramaratons, then you should get a hip resurfacing and continue to participate.

Did you see all  my athletes stories http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php  Some were back to running marathons at 3 months and 6 months.  Not eveyone will be able to recover that quickly - but if you were active in the past, you should be able to be active once again.

I will email Vicky and make sure she responds to your post too.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lameduck

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:04:50 PM »
Thank you for the information so far. The leg length discrepency has always been something that I've lived with since childhood. It is the hip on my longer (right) leg that needs to be replaced first. So, the difference has nothing to do with cartilage loss. Just born that way I think, but one doctor felt it was due to an abortive case of polio I had when I was two. I have an evaluation scheduled with Dr. Pritchett in Seattle area next week and I will make sure that he knows about the issue. I would really prefer resurficing to a THR.

lotter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »
Pat
 - I am new to this - i have a husband who is very active 65 and has a very painful hip - has for the past 4 years and finally hurts enough for him to do something about it. It is very confusing. There is not an option of replacement.. just the type- total or resurfacing. I am wondering is there a list of surgeons in the US  who have done a lot of these.. and do you have contact information for anyone to take a look at xrays to give an "impartial" based on xray opinion. I am intriqued by the resurfacing but scared to death to make the wrong choice. The doc reccommended this resurface procedure.. second opinion slammed it as "too new" and issues with the titanium on titanium ball and socket.. arrrrrgggghhhhh....

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear