+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back and Recovering  (Read 2059 times)

Steve_R

Back and Recovering
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:34:21 AM »
Heya Folks,

I went in on the Thursday 10th January and was the second down going to theatre at 10.30am. I spoke to Dr. Treacy in the anesthetic room and they had two cups on standby, one with two extra mounting screws for shallow hips and the normal one. I did joke if he'd had a nice round of golf on the 12th Dec (when my first operation date was cancelled) he said he had been skiing instead. He is a really down to earth nice bloke and makes you feel at ease. He was off to Canada the following week to operate there and had done sixteen in the few days before I had gone in.

I came around about 12.30 in the recovery room and felt quite good. I'd had an injection in the spine in surgery so my legs where very numb and stiff but I could just about wriggle my toes about a bit. Dr Treacy came in to see me briefly when I woke and I thanked him, he told me they had used the normal BHR cup and not the Dysplasia Cup so instead of been on sticks I would be on elbow crutches for around three weeks. They took me up to the ward and a had a nice cup of tea. They didnt get around to getting me some toast but I felt a bit nauseous so didnt have any.

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. I hadnt had a drain fitted so my dressing had to be changed twice. I saw my folks and girlfriend later in the day and had some lunch and light tea. I was in quite some pain by the early evening but hadnt used the "magic wand" which is what they called the self dispensed morphine which you are plugged into. I tried regurlarly pressing it but it didnt seem to make much difference. It allows you to have a dose every five minutes so in the end thats how often I pressed it. It started to make me sleep and feel a bit better but by the evening it made me sick and when they realised I'd been abusing it a bit too much it was taken off me. I felt great at the time though couldn't hold much of a conversation, it was like having a bottle of whiskey. They sorted me out changed my dressing, me and the bed and I'd gone very cold but they where great at getting me through it.

The next day they wherre going to leave me in bed but I wanted to get up to pass water. It wasn't a good day and just before bladder scanned I managed to sort things out. It had taken most of the day and I felf very drained, uncomfortable and tired.

I slept ok first the few night and was very lucky to have had a room to myself with shower and toilet especially after been in there nearly two hours. I think passing water and the failing to do so made me feel worse then the actual operation.

I got up on the Saturday and managed a shower sat on a stool and it was fantastic. It was and probably will be the best shower I have ever had. I pottered about the room a bit and saw my visitors. They took me for an Xray which will be my reference one for the future now after the surgery. Sunday I got my elbow crutches and was released late Sunday afternoon with the ROCS scheme. The Royal Orthopeadic Hospital use this scheme to then visit you at home everyday till you are discharged from the hospitals care when they are happy you are ok.

Today is Wednesday and I've been home a few days feeling a bit flustrated about not been able to do things and even having a wash is hard work but I have not constant pain in the joint and though my movement is restricted due to the muscles repairing themselves my joint movement is fantastic. I have had problems since I have been five and I'm now thirty five so this has been a major part of my life and a big concern for a long time. I'm looking forward to taking up cycling again when I can do so but I dont in anyway want to rush things so it happens when it does. I shall have a little walk around the garden tomorrow and may go out for lunch if my girlfriend drives me up the road.

My sleeping isnt great and I'm waking a lot in the night but I'm still six days post op so theres a long way to go yet.

Steve Ricketts - LBHR 10 Jan 08 Dr Treacy - Royal Orthopeadic Hospital Birmingham UK

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Back and Recovering
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:38:56 AM »
Hi Steve

Congratulations on the new hip!  Finally!

I am glad things went pretty well for you.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I will post it on a regular website page so more people can learn about your experience.

It is only a matter of time and patience now.  It will get better.  It is not always a straight uphill climb to recovery. THere will be plateaus and valleys - but on the whole you are working towards having a great summer in 2008.

Many people have problems sleeping.  I did a lot of sleeping in my recliner chair at night.  It helped me to get out of bed, walk a little and then lay down in the big soft chair.  It took me about 2 weeks to be able to start to sleep at night. I took heprin shots and I think they bothered my body a lot.

I wish you the very best and please keep in touch.  Let us know if we can provide any info for you. 

You have been there and done that now!!!!!  An official Surface Hippy!!!

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Steve_R

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:54:40 AM »
Thanks Pat,

The nurse did explain that because I didnt have a drain I'm suffering more now. The body retains about a pint of rubbish from the operation and what it probably creates itself. She explained that if you sit or sleep in the same position the fluid settles and by getting up and moving around its pumped around are feels better. Eventually the body breaks it down and it goes. The other train of thought is to have a drain but surgeons differ on opinion because it helps with getting rid of this rubbish but it can increase the risk of infection.

Personally I'd like to shake Dr Teacy by the hand, I can't wait to dust the bike off and might even buy myself a shiny new one to go with my hip :P

I was going to have a elbow crutch walk around the garden today but it really wet and probably going to rain again so I'll do the stairs and a few laps of the house.

I'll post up next week sometime when things have improved a bit more again.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:14:23 AM »
Hi Steve

I did not have any drains after I left the hospital.  I don't know if I had one in the hospital since I can't remember. I did not have any excessive swelling. Neither did the other 8 people I was with.

So drains after leaving the hospital are not needed if the surgeon has a technique that doesn't require them. 

I just wanted to post that so people know there are many different ways that surgeons approach hip resurfacing.

Swelling is an often mentioned problem in the US.  So I don't know what Dr. De Smet does different than the US doctors - but I spent 9 days with 8 other people.  Only one lady ended up with swelling and that was on day 5 post op when we all went sight seeing.  According to Dr. De Smet, she just walked too much.  She then had to ice her leg.  Once your leg swells, it gets use to having been that way and will easily swell again during your recovery.  Some people say that even much later their legs will still swell up.  It is like the leg has been stretched and remembers that.  Some people get swelling when they fly if they encountered much swelling after surgery.

I hope your recovery continues well.  You will be walking in the garden soon. 

You will be surprised how much better you are going to feel in a week or so.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat