+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seven weeks post surgery.  (Read 1587 times)

upthehill

Seven weeks post surgery.
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:35:43 AM »
Hi Hippies,

I had my check up with the consultant yesterday. Everything looks great I still am walking with a limp but now can intensify my exercise levels.

I think because I limped for such along time before the operation (9 years) my muscles are very weak in some areas of my right leg.
I have quite a physical job and he wants me to stay off work until the end of September.

I am full weight bearing and have been since the surgery but still have all my post op restrictions in place until 12 weeks. It seems a little bit excessive to me as I now am starting to get a great range of movement.

It's only 5 more weeks so I know I can cope with that and I want the best possible outcome in the long term.

I had an infection a week after the staples came out, I was antibiotics for a week seems to be all cleared up now.

Progress is slow and steady but their is improvement week on week and I feel so much better already.

I'd like to say thanks to everybody involved on this web site as this has provided me with countess stories and information over the years.

It's nearly time to start taking control of my life again without having to deal with the constant pain.

Cheers

Ian

gibbcutter

Re: Seven weeks post surgery.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:54 AM »
Today I celebrate my 5 week anniversary..  My surgeon did not put me on any restrictions.  I am curious as to what restrictions you have.  I am still walking with a very slight limp but I believe that is because of weak muscles but also, because I limped for so many years, my boday learned a different way of walking.  I have to retrain my muscles.

I still have soreness in the hip and sometimes the inflamation goes down the leg and the knee will hurt at times.  Otherwise, I have progressed nicely.  I am an avid sailor and two days ago, I was back out on my fifteen foot Catboat.

I get worried because I read on this site that many hippies have restrictions while I have none.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:49:00 AM by gibbcutter »

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »
Congratulations, Ian - I'd stay with the doc's advice, he is probably your best source for information. Those weeks loom large, but seem small in the rear mirror.

Gibb - No issues with mine, I also had minimal restrictions from my surgeon on both hips, and was fine. I'm almost at one year now on one, almost at 9 months on the other, and there have been issues, but no show stoppers. The only thing he limited is full contact sports (martial arts, soccer, basketball) for the first year. 

At my last meeting with him (6 months on my 2d hip), he asked me to jog, saw that I wasn't ready, ruled that out for a couple of months. So that limitation was based on how my body was responding, but I think it was because I was at 6+ months, and he considers that a time to start being active again.

I think if you listen to your body, stay away from things that are obviously too challenging you'll be fine. I worried about the same, but tried to strengthen the muscles appropriately. I am now looking for a slide board to do some strengthening of the muscles for side to side movement.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
@Ian- nice report.  I would certainly be crazy if i couldn't work earlier than that.
@gibbcutter- i miss my 30 ft Catalina that the ex-wife kept.

Well I was one week post-op yesterday so I am trailing behind all of you.  I am restricted to the 90 degree hip flexion and rotating the knee inward.  I can't wait to have the 90 degree rule rescinded.

Although I tell myself now that I can wait to run again, I know that I will be eager earlier than the doctor will allow.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

cassiewoofer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
 Well I can just say to all of you.... take it easy! and don't expect miracles. I was quite surprised at my relatively slow recovery. No real issues but just surprised at how long I took to gain full strength. I'm not 100% yet but the only physio I was doing was cycling to / from work (with a 200metre climb on the way home)
 I had been protecting my operated hip by pushing off with the other leg, especially up stairs and when the physio asked me to do step up on stairs with the operated hip there was no strength there at all (at 12 weeks!).
 Things all started to change around 5 months and I have now started playing tennis again without pain which is amazing.
 Still can't do proper balanced sprint and doubt I'll get back to a 12.5 100m but jogging is OK, though maybe it's just a matter of time.
Good luck and be patient and well done....... the decision was half the battle!

Keith (L BHR Dec 15th 2010 John O'Hara)

Luann

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »
Hey all,
 Keith put it well. I have no restrictions now at 14 months but I still cannot run quickly and sprint all out. I can, however, jog a good slow, low impact pace. I can hike up and downhill for miles. I posted under horseback riding that my horse and I just earned a cutting championship (rowdy, fast paced riding chasing cattle!).
 When I bend at the waist (like to tie a shoe), getting up is still slow and stiff (getting better and better, though). If I step up a steep step/incline with my operated leg first, it often feels weak and has trouble pulling up my body weight. This is getting better also.
 Don't push it. About 90% of the time I don't even think about my hip anymore. I hear others on this site say it took them 2-3 years to feel completely healed.

DanG- Thank you for your kind encouragement on my horse posting. So glad you are on your way to recovery! It has finally stopped raining in Oregon and summer has been here for about a month now! Good time to take PT walks, etc!

Gibb- let your body tell you what your restrictions will be, use common sense, if anything questionable comes up, call your Dr.

Ian- Congrats. So glad you're doing well. I walked with a limp longer than most hippies report. Don't worry. When your leg/muscles are strong enough, it will go away.

Good Luck and healing to all, Luann

F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  It gets better man.  It wasn't till 6 weeks when I could put on my socks. At 12 weeks I was competing in swim and bike races.

Stay with the P/T - even if just on your own.  There was, and still is, many times during training when I just need to stop or slow it down. I listen to my body. If it hurts - I'm not doing it. Don't get me wrong - sometimes it is uncomfortable but if pain goes anywhere near a 3 - I'm stopping and going to grab some donuts.

This weekend I went to the OCean in Ocean City MAryland. 4 feet waves were throwing me around like a rag doll. It was so much fun to be able to have fun with my son. Not once did my operated hip hurt.

Keep it up and stay positive.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM