+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I know it's time  (Read 1968 times)

hipnhop

I know it's time
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »
I have read a few posts by people asking "when will they know it's time for HR?" Most of you know that I had by right BHR on March 17, 2011. My new hip has already allowed me to complete in a several competitions - a 2 mile open water swim and a long distance Aquavelo 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike, let's not mention the 10 - 15 hours of training I put in every week minus the self initiated hip p/t stuff.  Now, I am getting ready for an Ultra Aquavelo in mid September. I might have to pull out of the race - my operated hip is ready to go. It's the other one that's a concern.

My left hip was actually worse then my right. It was the left hip that my doc said would need to be the first one replaced.  However, due to complications from a Cortisone shot, my right hip had to be the first to go.  Surgery and the initial 4 weeks after was real hard on me - more mentally than physically (someone asked me about this but removed their message before I had time to answer - please resend - Sorry!).

I really don't want to go through this again.  Despite all the support I know I'm gonna get from all of you, I am just enjoying training, traveling and doing my bit to make the world a better place.  I tell myself Football season is coming up and the new release of GEars of War 3 is coming out this fall so a October operation won't be bad. I can chill out in the house and get my gaming and football on.

That's not enough. I was trying to avoid surgery like the plague.  However my left hip is getting worse and worse. Over the past two weeks, the pain has been on a scale of 6.  It was only till yesterday, when on a college trip with my son, that I committed to the surgery.  The pain of walking around a college campus was awful. I felt so bad that I could not keep up with the group. I wanted to slap the tour guide in the back of the neck. Couldn't he see I was struggling. Couldn't he just call in a golf cart? That's when I knew it was time.  I am being scheduled as we speak - hopefully i will get my October date. I don't' care about the race. I'll be back to full triathlons in 2012 - I am going to give Ironman a new meaning. Who's gonna do this with me?
HipnHop

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Eitan

Re: I know it's time
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »
I hear you bro.  I have bilateral FAI, but never had symptoms on my right side.  The left hip had been deteriorating for several years, and perhaps the left lower back pain that I have had for over 10 years was the first manifestation.  I had my left hip resurfaced March 7th 2011.  It's doing pretty well, and I am back to pretty hard training, as I have posted on several occasions.  I still have sharp twinges of pain when I go into sudden deep flexion, and I have thigh pain at rest if I run too much during the day.  However, recently my right thigh and groin are hurting, and also I am getting pain in my right lower back as well, symptoms I have never had before.  Unlike you, I would rather have the right hip done sooner rather than later, as I know it's only a matter of time.  So:  My plan is actually to increase the training and see if my next X Ray in Sept shows a decrease in the right hip joint space from what it was previously.   If it does, well then I will probably go back under the knife in Nov.  Believe it or not, I would actually feel relieved if the X ray shows worsening of the arthritis in the right hip; I want to get this all over with and move on.

So, in answer to your question I might be tagging along with you at about the same time, all depending on the X rays.

Eitan 

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »
I'm almost in the exact same position as both of you.  Right was degenerated more than left (on the x-ray), but left presented with lots of pain and worse ROM.  I got my left operated in late Feb 2011 and almost went through with the 6 week follow-up surgery like a few guys did here.  I post-poned because mentally I was still trying to sort all of this out and just didn't feel I was ready yet.  Well, ready or not, No.2 is coming up fast on the 23rd of this month.  The reasons for me to go through with No.2 are:
1.  pain increased (although not near as bad as left was)
2.  obviously wasn't going to get better
3.  I and the PT felt like full recovery of left was limited by right
4.  deductible paid for, for the year and my insurance was showing signs of not lasting when it comes to ortho surgery
5.  keep the recovery of both in shorter period of time (one year or so)
6.  I can't ride a bike now, so I hope I will be able to in a few months.

So along with a hundred other reasons, that's why I am getting the next one done.

HnH - I think you made the right choice.  Eitan - I agree, sometimes the mental relief is better than the pain relief, hang in there.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
HnH,

It sounds like the time is right for your 2nd hip. You will get through it just like you did with the first one, plus now you have the knowledge of having been through it already. Hope to see you at the races in 2012! I signed up for Eagleman next year and plan to sign up for some other races. I want to race a half before I go back to full IMs. Good Luck to you and keep us posted on your surgery date.

June

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:17:44 AM »
I get you guys, it is daunting to look at the process again, which is why I'm thankful I scheduled both at the same time, with one inexorably following the other three months later in my mind. I treated it like interval training (for me - bag work, speed work ), so mentally I knew my path.

One thing that helped me on the second was taking a lot of steps to make sure that I was prepared for the second. No huge thing, just putting things in order, since I knew what the challenges would be: working with PT to make that bionic leg ready to support the second, getting new blurays (went through the entire Aliens series, including the Predator mixes), practicing with the crutches on walking on the other side (not as easy as it sounds), pacing off 1/3 of a mile walk for later, food, etc.

If you dive into the preparation, all of the little things will help you now, take the time up, give you purpose and psyche you up. Then when the recuperation comes, you'll be ready and get that second boost that all of us appreciate - no pain on either side and YOU ARE DONE! (enter Rocky theme music  ::) ).

Just an opinion from an incredibly peppy bi-hippy.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
Best wishes to all of you facing the second HR.

I have read the stories of those that did the "worst hip" first and then the second hip later.  It seems like the second hip always happens sooner than they think.  I wonder if once the worst pain is removed that the second hip becomes more noticeable.  That is, the second hip doesn't degrade more quickly it just becomes more obvious.

Well my second hip is in a good shape so hopefully I won't have to deal with another HR soon.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
Dan, I think that's a really good question.  I didn't really notice much pain in my left hip until after I had the right one resurfaced.  Now, 3 months after the right hip surgery, my left one is hurting really bad!  Both looked about the same on X-rays before the surgery, so it kind of seems like all the pain was concentrated on the right side and as soon as I had that fixed, the pain moved to the other side.  I wish now I had scheduled the surgeries closer together!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
Dan,
My heart goes out to you. You will get through this and will be fine. I've been there many times with the not being able to keep up routine. Just be thankful there is a way to "fix" the bad hips today. When you have the second one done nothing will stop you. Keep focused on that thought. You know we're here for you.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

othepain4

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
I have had soreness in my left hip. I also have had back pain.Three years ago I had my right done and he said I would be back.I have a 6 thousand dollar deductable that I went through with my daughter having a 4 day stay in the hospital.The year before that my wife had a double masectumy due to breast cancer. I can't take another 6000 next yearso I have scheduled my left for December. I can't wait untill I can abuse my son and his friends on the basketball court!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 01:44:19 AM »
Dan and Ainee - I think that is how our minds work.  I was probably in way more pain for the last 2 years than I knew.  Got one hip fixed and the next one, in less than 3 months, came on pretty strong, ouch, like someone turned up the volume on the un-operated hip.

othepain4 - If you wait til after New Years day, I'll bet it will hurt real bad ($$$) :o.  That's part of the reason I'm getting no. 2 done in the insurance plan year. 

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal