+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anusara yoga after hip resurfacing or THR  (Read 3551 times)

Aerial

Anusara yoga after hip resurfacing or THR
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
Hello all-  I am looking at hopefully hip resurfacing but if not a candidate, a THR.  I am very active.  I generally practice Anusara yoga 2-3 times a week at the level 3 to beginning 4 level.  I really hope to be able to continue to practice after surgery.  Right now I am becoming more and more limited in my ROM which is very sad to me  :'( Has anyone had experience getting back into yoga after surgery?  Are you eventually allowed to do poses where the operated leg crosses the midline ( as in many seated and rotational poses).  Is a return to back bending poses and things like tick-tock and more complex inversions and hand balances within the realm of possibility eventually (after surgery)?  How long did you have to wait before attempting a class?  I'm sure I'll go back down the most basic classes initially which is fine.  During this "slow" period for me prior to surgery I'm focusing on learning meditation techniques. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:19:39 AM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Tin Soldier

Re: Anusara yoga after hip resurfacing or THR
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
I'm not much of a yoga guy, but I'm 6 months past an LBHR and I can cross the midline with my left left, and I'm slowly becoming able to sit cross-legged.  I suspect with good flexibility from yoga over the years, the capsule and other soft-tissue around joint will be more responsive to recovery, than for someone like me who has not worked on flexibility much over the years.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Yogi222

Re: Anusara yoga after hip resurfacing or THR
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »
My Right BHR turned two years old in August 2011 and I practice yoga almost daily. Before my surgery, I practiced Ashtanga (primary & some 2nd series) daily. Since the surgery, I've been practicing Bikram also. I waited too long for my surgery so my body had been compensating for my unstable hip for years (I have congenital hip dysplasia in both hips) so the soft tissue has had to un-kink itself now that my joint is stable. The heat in Bikram plus holding the poses longer have helped a whole lot.

With hip resurfacing, you don't have the limitations that a THR has so crossing the midline is ok. Just always move mindfully and ease back in post op and you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal