+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My success story  (Read 2642 times)

doncam

• Campbell Communications
My success story
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
Just wanted to thank the organizers of this discussion group and contribute my own success story. After 3 years of increasingly excruciating left-hip pain (after years of basketball, running and skiing, not to mention a family predilection of osteoarthritis), I finally got the diagnosis. I'm glad I waited as long as I did. I learned about hip resurfacing and actually found a surgeon who was a 25-year veteran of THR but who had jumped on the Birmingham hip bandwagon. He's one of the few in the Portland, Oregon area doing the procedure, and in fact I was no. 15 for him.

I'm 53 years old, and in reasonably good physical shape. In other words, a good candidate. Had my surgery on Sept. 17, 2007. Despite some minor notching, and an ugly bout with a blood clot 4 weeks post-surgery, I'm now walking 3 miles a day (and have been since a week before New Year's Day). Except for the embolic episode (and yeah, I'm on coumadin until March '08), everything went according to plan. Surgery on a Monday, up and around a bit on Tuesday, home on Thursday. Used a walker for 3-4 weeks, then crutches, then one crutch. By Thanksgiving '07, I was doing a lot of stuff unaided. At the 12-week point, I was cleared for 100-percent weight-bearing. Never used a cane, just went straight to walking (and a wee bit of soft jogging) and haven't looked back.

I'm a freelance writer and have lobbed story pitches about this procedure to several publications. Would like to lean on some of you to provide testimonials, if any of you are willing.

I'm absolutely thrilled with the outcome. Skiing may yet come back into my life.

Thanks.

Don in Oregon

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: My success story
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »
Hi Don

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I hope you will allow me to post your story on my Hip Stories section  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php

Who was your doctor? Do you have an extended version of your story with photos for the website?

I would be happy to allow you to use my story with credit or a link back to my website  http://www.surfacehippy.info/belgium&mybhrebook.php

One way I have collected a large number of stories is to belong to the Yahoo Surface Hippy Discussion Group of over 6000+ members  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/
  I have been a member for over 3 years and always ask permission to post stories.

I think the stories are one of the best way for new people to learn about hip resurfacing.

I hope you will be on the slopes soon!!!

Pat Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy   
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:55:36 AM »
Count me in for any testimonial.  Had my surgery day after you.  I was full weight-bearing right away.  Walked around the house (and the stores!!) without any cane at 4 weeks post-op.  Just don't tell my doctor that!!  teehee  (Actually, I would bring my cane, but it walked with ME).  I think writing about this procedure would be cool.

Karen 9-18-07 LBHR Barba

Elaine Y.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
Hi Don,

Absolutely count me in for a testimonial. I am even thinking about pitching it to the Chicago News community. This is how people become aware of new procedures. Especially since we baby boomers are a new breed and this I believe is the answer for many people I've seen with the all too familiar limp. I believe the word needs to get out there, and unfortunately, even though the Internet is such a good source of information and research, not many people know how to use it to their utmost advantage. Writing a book would be awesome. Count me in on a testimonial.

Elaine Y.
RBHR 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »
Hi Noreen

Congratulations on your new hip.  Hope everything keeps going well for you.

I will get your story up on the regular website in a few days.  Right now I am flat on my back.  I pulled it out Saturday morning and about all I can do is lay in bed or stay in my recliner until it feels better.  Unfortunately, the new hip doesn't keep my back from going out of place. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat