+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A scary day of hip pain 8 months post op!  (Read 2417 times)

cassiewoofer

A scary day of hip pain 8 months post op!
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:06:45 AM »
Had a bit of a scare Tuesday.
 I'm 8 months post op (left BHR, 15th december 2010 Mr O'Hara) and had no hip pain since the op. That all changed Tuesday afternoon. I had been into work for the morning and had booked the afternoon off. I noticed the hip pain (exactly the same pain as before surgery) increasing during the afternoon but thought little of it until around 5pm when it became serious enough for me to take some painkillers. I settled for ibuprofen (400mg) and 2 aspirin but planned to get some codiene for the night (based on pre-op experience)
 Luckily after a couple of hours the pain receded but came on again in the night. the next morning the hip felt weaker but wast'n painfull, but I was walking again with a limp.
 All seems back to normal now but has anyone else had this sort of shock?

I have always believed that the weather was connected to my hip pain and Tuesday afternoon started grey but dry and was drizzling by the evening.
 One old guy in the charity shop asked if I had back pain (which I have had since high school sponylolysthesis) and suggested sciatica.
 I know I need to talk to my surgeon and I have an appointment next month for a 9 month x-ray and check up which I might get braought forward.
 I'm pretty certain there's no losening and haven't traumatised the hip.... but may have strained my back (a little) moving two (pretty lightweight) sofas that morning. But didt'n feel anything at the time.

This experience was a total surprise and quite demoralising as I understood the surfaces that had caused this pain were no longer in my body!

Keith

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: A scary day of hip pain 8 months post op!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:22:53 AM »
Hi
If you have ongoing pain and are concerned, always talk to your surgeon.  Many people, including myself, have had experiences similar to yours.  I have done activities that strained the muscles and area around my hip and have it hurt a bit.  Remember that it takes a full year or more for everything to heal completely so at your point, you could still have strained the area.  Even though we have a hip joint of metal, the rest of the hip is still living tissue and muscle that can easily be strained, especially as we get older.  We forget that if we have hip problems from OA that the rest of the body is not far behind - unfortunately.  OA doesn't just stay in one joint.

I fell off my bike hard on my hip and it was sore for quite awhile but there was no damage.

So take it easy and if you remain in pain, talk to your surgeon to make sure things are OK.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Anniee

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
Pat, you are wise and wonderful!  I would be very worried about this type of experience too, and you put in perspective.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Luann

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
Hi Keith,
 I mentioned this in some of my post this last spring/early summer. I had a very similar, weird experience. I had my sx June 2, 2010, and recovered well. I was riding horses fairly pain free three months postop. All last fall and early winter, I had no problems and I was increasingly getting stronger, more comfortable. All seemed well.
 Then came mid winter (I think it was about early Jan.). Suddenly, I had quite a bit of pain, (very much like pre-op) and was limping again! I called the Dr. and made an appt for an exam. Radiographs showed nothing. Palpations, nothing.They told me not to panic and take NSAIDS as needed. I panicked. I worried. I even cried a little. I was sure it was failing! ( I could think of nothing I had done to cause this!) I even quit posting here for awhile, I didn't want to "bum" anyone out.
 Then almost magically, it became better again. And, by the way, in case you're thinking it must have just been Oregon's cold, damp weather... the weather does not get warm and dry here until late June!! Especially this year. (this is only a slight exaggeration!)
 The Dr's were right, probably just some inflammation and "healing pains". I have not felt it since. As a matter of fact, by the time my 1 year anniversary this June rolled around, it just kept getting stronger and better!
 I hope this will be true for you, too. Of course Pat is correct, please go see your Dr. and make sure. Good Luck, Luann
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:51:57 PM by Luann »
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

cassiewoofer

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:41:40 AM »
 Thanks for the replies! I was expecting pain and weakness during healing but what a bolt out of the blue that was!! I will see my surgeon so don't worry 'bout that. Has anyone on here felt that the weather or drop in atmospheric pressure has links with pain levels esp. pre op?

Keith

John C

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »
Yes, I have always wondered if it was my imagination, but it does seem that low pressure systems increase the aches and pains, including in my hip both before and after surgery, though a lot less after. The bummer for a skier is that low pressure systems always bring the best powder days, when you really do not want to be feeling achey. :(
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
I has a similar scare. I was at the gym on the stationary bike and I felt a sharp pain in my operated hip.  I stopped immediately and went home. I called my doc and she told me to rest for two days. It it was gone the next day. It is scary but it happens. Just don't push when you shouldn't

Ed
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM