+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: recovery resurfacing w/ Dr. Su  (Read 19804 times)

David

recovery resurfacing w/ Dr. Su
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
Hi all,
Came home 8/31 from my 8/29 RBHR. Walking outside twice a day, pt exercises twice a day. I had my first in home pt session on Saturday and I think the therapist was a little too aggressive with me.  Was able to do all he asked, but was blown out afterward with swelling, lateral quadricep soreness/pain.  Was able to get on my bike yesterday for 15 minutes and that increased my range of motion, I tried biking before yesterday but my swelling was just too much to comfortably get my right leg through the spin cycle.
Has anyone else had this very specific quadricep pain/soreness or is it just me overdoing it already?
Thanks.
David
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:54:27 PM by Pat Walter »
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

toby

Re: recovery...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
David,
I'm from the UK -Check out the Mcminn website and look at the exercises for the first 6 weeks post op(pretty standard for UK patients).
In my opinion, if you're doing more than this-slow down. It's not a race. Also, on the bike for 15 min's in the first week?
Just trying to help
Best
Toby 
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »
Hi

Walking is your best exercise according to most surgeons.  Of course, you should listen to your own surgeons post op protocol.  I would not do a lot of bike riding yet.  You are just a couple weeks post op. Take it easy.  Any time your body swells or hurts - it is telling you that you are doing too much.  Give your body some time to heal.  I would also tell your PT that they are being too aggressive.  You should not hurt after PT during the first few weeks.  Too often PTs that are use to doing athletes, etc are way too aggressive.  Tell him/her you were too sore and to back off until you are comfortable.  If you get yourself swelling too much, it takes a lot longer to break that pattern and many early activities can make you swell.  Take it easy.  You have a lifetime ahead of you.  You can not force your body to heal - give it time.  It took a long time for the hip to deteriorate and it will take time to get it back to normal.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

MattBrunner

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
David,

I would agree with what Pat said biking is really aggressive for one week post Op.  Trust me I wanted to do as much as I could as quickly as could but I worked a little too hard in the 2nd weeks and had bruising and swelling in both the quad and groin. 

I didn't start PT until the stitches were out after 2 weeks and that is when everything started to loosen up and I was cleared for the elliptical workouts and started at low angles and worked my way up.  Just don't over do it and give yourself a chance for those mussels to recover from the surgery.

Matt

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
You are on the bike in the first two weeks?  Wow!  I might have been able to do it but not comfortably.

I had alot of pain and bruising on my thigh, both outside and inside for several weeks.  I found that walking helped and ice was definitely great for the pain.  I didn't start PT until almost week 4.  I would do the exercises the PT in the hospital gave me twice a day.  Now I do the exercises the PT gives me twice a day as well.  I feel that it has been a nice gradual step up.  I found the new exercises challenging at first but even after a couple of days they were easier.  Keep in mind there are alot of smaller muscles that have to do worked as well as the major ones.

Once I was able to get in the pool I found aqua jogging perfect.  It feels awesome!  The weightlessness keeps me from pounding but I get to move through the whole range of motion.  I think this is going to get me ready for the day that I am cleared to run.

Listen to your body.  As an athlete I can distinguish good soreness from injury pain.  You should listen to your body.  There will be plenty of time to put everything back in order.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

maxx6789

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
about aqua jogging, do you have/purchased special equipment for this or are you just treading water/jogging? i saw advertised a full set aqua jogger equipment for like $100.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

David

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
It's not like I'm coming up with a plan on my own.
Dr. Su told me to get on the bike.  The first time I tried I was not comfortable so I got off. Day 6 I felt comfortable and was literally just turning my legs over at a snails pace. no resistance on the rear wheel at all.
Giving myself total rest today, excepting very easy isometric pt exercises.
Will see if the feeling in my quad changes.
I was supplementing my workouts with aquajogging (belt) for the last 2+ years, looking forward to that again once I can get in the water.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

David

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
Hi Toby,

I took a look at the post-op exercises on the McMinn website.  I am doing exactly those.

Thanks.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

mikebaker

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
Hi David,

You had your surgeries almost exactly one month after mine and you had two done to my one. I can't imagine doing what you are doing. I have been told to do the basic exercises 4 times a day and supplement those with ice and elevation in between. Also walking is great but again try not to overdo it, your body will let you know. I am not even off crutches yet at almost 6 weeks (docs orders). Sounds like you are doing great and like all the great advice on this website you are going to have good and bad days but the goal is to get back to normal and if it takes a few months longer, no big deal when talking about the years of enjoyment you will get from your new hips. Best of luck!
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

ScubaDuck

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »
Maxx-

I have had my aqua jogging flotation belt for about 25 years.  I got back when I was doing triathlons seriously and got injured.

Someone told me there are special socks you can wear in the water for resistance.  I should probably look into that.

Dan

David

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:59 AM »
Hey all...3 weeks post-op today...

What a difference 1 week makes!  I started PT 10 days ago and that made all the difference for me.
Been on my bike on the trainer comfortably up to 30 minutes and got up to a 1 mile walk yesterday morning.
PT has me on the recumbent elliptical and added some light ankle weights for leg curls and extensions.
Hope to jump in the water today, but am going to call the Dr's office first to make sure I'm good for that.
Have my 4 week follow up with Dr. Su next Monday and am looking forward to seeing how the device is looking.

Did any of you ask for the operative report and/or pictures of your surgery?

Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
David- I am a road cyclist and have a good road bike and trainer.  Are you riding a road bike on your trainer?  I was thinking I could raise the handle bars enough to not go past 90 degrees.  Just wondering what type of bike you are using.  I haven't had surgery yet but I am planning for what I might be able to do after surgery.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

John C

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
Hi David,
My doctor always provides the operative report. Having read through it, I think that it is something that every patient should have in their files.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

David

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
Aerial...I have a bunch of bikes road, MTB and tri.  I have been on my road bike on the trainer which gives me the most extension and least forward positioning.  With the resurfacing I do not have the 90 degree rule restriction.  I have had to "warm up" on the bike by back pedaling for 5 minutes to comfortably increase my range of motion before forward pedaling normally.  The most difficult part is mounting the bike.  Have a short step stool to climb on so it is easy to get my operated leg over the bike frame.  My wife is kind enough to spot me for safety.  It gets much easier each time.

Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

David

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »
progressed to 1.25 mike walk today with 1 crutch...tired but felt great...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Anniee

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
Hi David,

My doctor gives all of his patients the operative reports, as well as a post-surgery X-ray.  Sounds like you are doing really great.  Just listen to everyone on this site, and don't overdo!  It really is not a race!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »
I am impressed by all of you (and jealous) that were able to get on your bikes so quickly.  This is only my second week on the stationary at the gym.  Winter is coming though so outside riding will probably have to wait until spring.

Dan

David

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »
Had my 4 week follow up with Dr. Su this a.m.
He said my xrays and the device looked great...that was very reassuring.
Walked a couple of miles in NYC...a little pooped now.
Took my son to the driving range yesterday, yes I did sneak in a couple dozen wedge shots and some putting too.
ROM and strength really does come back quickly by the day, just keep up with the pt, exercises, biking and walking.
Got my operative report today too..."firm blows of the mallet"...didn't know that was a surgical term...:-)
Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
Excellent, but easy on the walking. 

I didn't need the report to know that there were firm blows of the mallet.  I woke up in a dazed state to a few at least three firm blows of the mallet.  Sure glad all I couldn't feel anything down there.  I asked the anesthesthiologist what was going on, he turned up the juice a little, and lights out.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

David

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
Oh my Tin!
Glad I have no recollection of that!
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear