+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Time Has Come - Sept 14th Dr Della Valle  (Read 8039 times)

maxx6789

My Time Has Come - Sept 14th Dr Della Valle
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
I should say my time has ALMOST come ... I am scheduled for a Left Hip Resurfacing on September 14th with Dr Della Valle (Rush Hospital in Chicago).

I hope to report shortly after my operation things like my great recovery and, eventually, my return to all sorts of fun activities (like snowboarding, surfing, wakeboarding, etc) that I have had to give up over the last few years. Of course, for starters, I will gladly embrace being able to stand up and walk short distances like a "normal person" with little pain (no pain would be a nice bonus!!).

My story is similar to many here ... once active person who was slowed down to a grinding halt by OA in both hips (I am getting my Left hip done first as that is the one that bothers me more). This site has been a worth of information so I do feel well prepared for what lies ahead of me. As the surgery date approaches, I do feel mostly excitement to get on with the healing process but a little nervous about the hospital/OR/recovery room/first few days of post-Op recovery.

I have never blogged ... but ... I did start one and my current plan (subject to change) is to post weekly videos of my post-Op progress. http://stevensaxe1.wordpress.com/

Wish me (and my doctor) some good luck on the 14th!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

hernanu

Re: My Time Has Come - Sept 14th Dr Della Valle
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:43:50 PM »
Good luck and keep posting!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
maxx,

You'll do fine. The pre-surgery feelings you have are so normal. You'll be on the better side before you know it.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »
Steve-

The pre-surgery nerves are always there.  This is not a trivial surgery.  Fortunately if you have done your homework and picked a great surgeon and proven device you have managed everything in your control.

My recovery has been much easier and quicker than I imagined.  Of course that is not to say it was easy at first.  You should hear what I thought it was going to be like!

I also became a blogger because of this procedure.  Thanks to TinSoldier.

Best wishes to you.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

GwanJangNimETS

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »
MAXX -

I am scheduled for right hip BHR with Dr. Della Valle on September 30th. I would be keenly interested in your weekly videos, as well as any posts to this site.

Edward
RBHR - Dr. Della Valle, 9-30-2011

maxx6789

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
so ... anyone heading off to resurfacing surgery next week (besides me)? we can compare hip stories.

maxx6789

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
1 Week Post-Op ... i feel like i had a very successful week one ... woke up in recovery, with pretty much zero pain and that has continued throughout the week. left the hospital after 1 day (about 36 hours), walked with crutches during hospital PT #1 and walked up/down stairs during hospital PT #2 (was surprised how easy stairs are). my lower leg (foot, ankle, calf) is a little swollen even today (day 7) but not too bad; the rest of my leg is not swollen at all. so far, no bruising on my leg (yes, i said no bruising). getting in/out of bed was a little tough the first few days but now it is no problem. sleeping has been better than expected. i am just sleeping on my back even though i am a side-sleeper; i am able to sleep several hours at a time, wake up and can quickly fall back to sleep. i have been having in-home PT 3 times a week and that is going well. my leg gets a little sore after PT but it's more like a good after working out sore than pain. i still have a long way too go, of course, but i could not have asked for a better first week. so far, i have been getting better every day without any set-backs.

ScubaDuck

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Fantastic report!!!

The first part sounds almost exactly the same as me.  It sounds like I had a little more pain as I gave up narcotics as quickly as I could.  Did you get off the pain meds?

My bruising didn't come until several days to a week later.  And it was severe.  But it eventually cleared up after about two and half weeks.

You also sound like you are sleeping better than I did.

Wow, three PT sessions a week!  You have a generous health plan.  I started PT five weeks after surgery and I get one per week for 7 weeks.  But I am doing alot of exercise on my own in between.

Best wishes on your continued recovery.

Dan

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
Sounds great Max, awesome results. Good for you that the PT is going well.

Remember that if things slow or you have some setbacks, all of our recoveries were stop and go, with mostly go. Sometimes the body needs a plateau to get used to the improvement.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
Sounds like you are really doing well, Maxx. It's good to hear!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

maxx6789

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
2 week post-op report: so far, so good. everything is a little better in week two compared to week one. i had just minimal swelling in my ankle/calf and no bruising. i do 3 sets of “exercise” and take 3 walks each day (and a mid-afternoon nap, of course) … so my day is pretty busy!!! i am still on two crutches but i have a follow-up appointment with the doctor in one week and hope to hear him say all is going well and i will likely move off the crutches quickly from there. i am able to put a normal amount of weight on my operated leg and i have taken several steps without the crutches and things felt fine (i.e., step with the crutch, step with the crutch, step without the crutch). sleeping has gotten easier, too ... being a side-sleeper, i am able to sleep for hours on my non-operated side; still can't (or don't want to) sleep on my operated side. the most surprising part so far has been that i have experienced virtually no pain in the hip area since waking up from the surgery. still have a long way to go ...

here is a short video of me walking (with crutches) from a few days ago http://www.screencast.com/t/CEEfkdFj.
after clicking the, click "full size" and click the play button (it the arrow pointing to the right button located towards the lower- left corner).

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:20 PM »
Maxx

Thanks for posting about your great progress toward recovery. Encouraging words for those of us who will follow in your footsteps later this year.

Congratulations to you!

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

ScubaDuck

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »
Sweet video!  I took some video but never posted it.  I should probably stick some on YouTube and put a link from my blog.

Looking good.  Keep up the good work.

Dan

maxx6789

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »
Week Three Post-Op Update:

The Highs: still hip pain free!!! Moved from two crutches to one crutch to a cane. Able to walk (around the house) unassisted without pain.  Able to get into and out of cars with ease; able to drive my own car with ease (my left leg was the operated side). Able to put away the raised toilet seat and the “grabber”. Able to put on my own socks and tie my own shoes!!!

The Not-So-Highs: Although probably walking better now than pre-surgery, I am not exactly walking completely "normal". Outpatient PT says I have a slight "pelvis dip" due to weak gluteus maximus muscles; he said that is completely "normal" for someone just 3 weeks post op. I plan to go back to work full-time in 3 weeks (6 weeks post-op) and my goal is to be able walk into the office completely “pelvis dip free” like a “normal person”!!

Here is an updated short video of me walking at day 10 and day 20 post-op http://www.screencast.com/t/CEEfkdFj. After clicking the, click "full size" and click the play button (it the arrow pointing to the right button located towards the lower-left corner).

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
Looks like you're on a good track. You are walking well for three weeks, the dip will go away as your support muscles get stronger. There's still more to go, but as the dip left, I started working more on a good gait and eventually, the stiffness you get as you stand up from sitting goes away. All good stuff.

GwanJangNimETS

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
Maxx-

Thanks for the updates and the video!

I had RHR by Dr. Della Valle on September 30th. You could be writing my story! I am 11 days post op and life is good.

looking forward to the cane!

Regards.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:50:23 AM by GwanJangNimETS »
RBHR - Dr. Della Valle, 9-30-2011

Boomer

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
Maxx

Thanks for the updates and video. Very impressive.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

maxx6789

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
brief week 4 and week 5 update: the operated hip is still doing great!! i can honestly say my operated hip joint is pain free (as others have said, it's probably the most painless joint in my body). new things i have done during week 4 and week 5 include going to the gym on non-outpatient PT days and lifting weights (mostly upper body), riding the stationary bike (trying to take it easy but it feels so good), got into the swimming pool but per doctors/PT order not able to swim (so i did some pool walking, leg lifts, etc), used the elliptical last night, and the best new thing that i have done ... being able to walk my dog by myself (65 lbs, australian shepherd). oh, and in week 5 i have been able to sleep on my operated side (not all night long like i did pre-surgery but probably for like 1 hour-ish at a time).

note: i plan to join the bi-lateral hip club in 2012 so, at this point, i can already feel my non-operated hip holding me back ... although i feel much better now than pre-surgery, i really look forward to being post-op from the second hip to really, really get my life back!! enjoy the rest of your day and weekend!!

Left BHR September 14, 2011 Dr. Della Valle

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
Maxx, all of that sounds normal and really positive. Remember that you're trying to rebuild both the small and large muscles, so keep up the PT stuff even as you go back to you regular workouts.

Great to get back to normal activities that you had to leave behind, isn't it? I'm a bilat, so I get your "bad" leg holding you back, the second time really freed me to do everything, so I'm glad everything is going well.

When you get the second, I'll show you the secret handshake and arrange to send you the funny hat.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:45:01 PM by hernanu »

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »
maxx,

Sounds great! You're doing real good. Things like being able to walk the dog again mean so much, we Hippys understand the joy.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear