+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: SEX??? Yeh I'm asking..  (Read 14294 times)

ZAP

SEX??? Yeh I'm asking..
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
So I'll admit do to my bad hip, I had to stop using my best superman moves in the sack and take a more lazy approach.  Its not as fun, but at least we still do something. In the past, I've been in the macho mood and worked right through the pain, regretting it for  2 - 5 days after. A couple times I couldn't get out of the bed.. :)

My question is, how soon after surgery can we have sex again.  I'm male, but the question can be open to women as well.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:53:56 PM by Pat Walter »

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: SEX??? Yeh I'm asking..
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
Much more quickly than you might imagine.  It was around two weeks for me.  It happened more naturally rather than me thinking about it.  I think your body will let you know.

You will definitely have to take the very easy and simple ways at first.  You need to follow any restrictions your doctor has given you.  And don't fight through too much pain because after surgery you could actually do damage as opposed to before surgery.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »
I guess I will be the first female to post! I think it was at 4 weeks, once the 90 degree restriction was lifted and no more crutches!

June

lori.36

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
Hmm.  I know that I was passed three weeks, but the supergirl powers returned at 6 weeks.  I have not have that much fun without pain in years.  Listen to your body just like any other form of exercise.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »
Hi
I moved your post to the Sex section.  You will find the time varies and depends on whether you are male or female.  Most people find a way if they are feeling well enough.  Usually that is what most surgeons tell you - if you are thinking in that direction and feel well enough, go for it.  It just makes common sense to take it easy and not swing from the chandeliers!  There are many suggestions on this site and others how people were creative and figured out ways to perform adult activities without breaking 90 degree rules, etc.   

I have even heard of folks thinking about "doing it" in the hospital.  I think that would not be the best place to start being active again  :D

Just use some common sense and don't end up with a ride to the ER with the squad.  You will be well soon anyways and not have any restrictions.  Have fun and be creative!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
Speaking of thinking about "doing it" in the hospital.
About the third night in the hospital, I had an erection and the nurse's aide thought I was using the urine bottle.
As she waited for me to finish, she asked "Can I help you sir?"
Well I knew the HSS had a reputation for excellent service, but I hedged about fulfilling my request, since I didn't want to be kicked out of the hospital for "indecent exposure" :)
I felt the Dr. did an excellent job since I was experiencing an erection so soon after surgery.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:54:33 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »
Couldn't think about that stuff with a catheter in.  Yikes.

Before surgery, I would be limping for several days after a "session" and my coworkers would say things like "what happened to you?" or "dude, you're limping today worse than ever",... so and so forth.   Keep in mind it was caused by just simple stuff, non of this chandelier stuff.  I certainly didn't respond with anything that would give away any clues.  My response to my coworkers was something like,  "I was gardening", or "working on the truck". ;), actually without the wink, but it goes so well here.  Anything can be a euphemism given the right context.

I think 3 weeks after surgery is about where I was at, enough time to be able to move the hips without having too much discomfort.  Also, I wasn't super interested in the first couple weeks.   Interesting topic, thanks for asking ZAP.

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

ZAP

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »
This is all good news.  I'm sure I can hold out 3  -  4 weeks and not go crazy.

Nemesis

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:32 AM »
One week me on top or behind her, 4 weeks her on top. I was afraid to put weight directly on my new hip. 

NewHippy

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »
 A lot of good answers here about a real topic.  I guess my question is, will I ever be able to do those flexible things that I used to be able to do again.  While adaptation and creativity is fine, some of those old ways will be highly desired... by both the hubby and I. 

It rates right up there with the question: Will there ever be a time I will not need that high rise toilet seat.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
Most people return to all the activities they use to do if the rest of their bodies allow it.  It takes time to heal.  You did not mention how long post op you are.  It takes 6 months to be able to do most things except for high impact sports.  Most surgeons want you to wait a year to run and do extreme sports.  You should not need the raised toilet after a few weeks to six weeks if you are healing in a sorta normal pattern.  We are all different so there is no definite answer to when we are able to do all things.  Just be patient if you are still recovering.  You will be back to your old self eventually.  A few people don't ever get all the way back, the the large majority do. You will be at a point sometime in the future where you don't even think about your new hip or what you do.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ross

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
Dr Gross told me,  Oh yeah right away.

Jbsloop

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
One of my most positive experiences post-op thus far was at only 2 to 3 when the urge arose and instead of trepidation from the normally expected hip pain, I was pleasantly surprised to find there was none. Just remember not to break any of the 3 big rules and be a kid again!   :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat