+-

Author Topic: How were you doing at four weeks?  (Read 2010 times)

Aerial

How were you doing at four weeks?
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
Hello all- For my surgery, I am fortunate to be able to take two weeks off of work followed by two weeks when the University I work at is closed for the holidays.  My question is, how were you doing at 4 weeks?  I am a professor and a department chair so once I go back, there is no easing into it especially at the start of a new semester.  Were you mentally and physically ready for a full work day?  My work does involve a lot of standing and getting from building to building on a campus where parking is a real issue. Were most of you pretty much walking on your own at that point?  As far as Dr. Gross's protocol goes my bone density checked out just fine so I am on the rapid recovery program (pending no surprises during the surgery).  I don't want to go back too soon.  I did that after my hip arthroscopic surgery and it was very tough plus I think it delayed recovery time.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

jjmclain

Re: How were you doing at four weeks?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »
Hi Aerial,

I had a 90 degree restriction until 4 weeks. I was on 2 crutches at first with 50% weight bearing and then 1 crutch at 3 weeks. At 4 weeks post-op, all restrictions were lifted and I walked (rather slowly at first but with no limp) out of the surgeon's office. I could have gone back to work, but I am a fitness instructor and decided to take off 7 weeks and go back to work after the holidays were over. There are a lot of people who went back to work after a couple of weeks. I was walking on my own at 4 weeks but really enjoyed having those extra 3 weeks over the holidays. I think the walking from building to building will help you and if I recall you are an athlete and young so I think you will be fine!

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
Hi Aerial,
I'm a little over 4 weeks right now and I don't think I'd want to go back to work full time at this point. But everyone is so different. You might feel great and be more than ready.

What if you recruited a grad student to help with your class load when you first return and have a colleague or two help you with your Chair duties? Would that be possible?  The other thing I recall my major professor doing when he was ill - he got a temporary disability parking permit and parked right at the entrance to his building. Not sure what is doable in your situation but he was also a Chair and found everyone to be really helpful. One of his colleagues ran the dept. meetings if he wasn't up for it. Worked out well.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
I agree with Luanna, especially the parking permit if parking is hard to find. If you live in a wintry area, you lessen having to deal with any ice issues that way. I tried to get a temporary parking permit and the nurse fought me on it (he had given it to friends of his) and so I was taking long walks through an icy parking lot in the middle of a New England winter. Not fun. I went back to work at 5 weeks, probably could have done it at 4.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
Luanna- I do have some extra help for one of my classes.  I am more concerned with not being able to sit comfortably or with my leg elevated during the day.  Hopefully i won't have the 90 degree restriction still. I can get handicapped parking but experience confirms such parking is hard to come by.  I get very frustrated by students who somehow get a permit for handicap parking or who have a car with a handicap plate who don't appear to have any disability at all.  I watched one student get out of a car, grab a backpack and jog into a building once....apparently late for class.  If it were a student of mine I would have laid into him.

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
Typically no ice and snow in SC although last year we had a big snowstorm the first week of spring classes and were out for three days!  Hadn't thought about how hard it would be in a true winter climate when you are not walking well!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »
Aerial

No one heals with the same timeline.  We all heal at our own rate, no matter what we try to do before or after surgery to speed it up.  It does help to have our bodies and muscles in shape, but that alone will not speed healing. Every persons' body heals at its own rate. There have been some athletes doing marathons 3 or 4 months out and some athletes that healed very slowly.

There is simply no way to predict how you will feel at 4 weeks.  Many people take a lot of time to get their full strength and stamina back.  Many people are unable to site for very long periods without their hips hurting.  It is still suggested even at 4 weeks to get up and walk every 45 mintues or so.  You may be able to walk fast or maybe only very slowly.  No way to predict. You may also get very tired for the first few months.  Again, it depends on your own body.

So my advice is plan for the worst and hope for the best because there is no way to tell.  I know I could not have worked a full day at 4 weeks or even sat much of the day in an office chair - but I was 61.  Some people have returned to work at 4 days.  So make plans to get help or be prepared to not make it thru the day or be able to walk fast for very long distances - then hope that you will have a fast recovery.  The common sense approach is to understand this is very major surgery and not only your body but your mind and emotions have to heal and heal at their own rate.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

David

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »
Hey Aerial and all...

Agree totally with Pat..."everyone is different".
I am at 4 weeks right now. My first 2 weeks sucked.  I had extreme pain and immobility in my operated leg.  I started outside PT right away at my request from Dr. Su and that has been my saviour.  What a difference 14 days makes.  Let me tell you I'm working my ass off though, at least 2-3 hours a day of exercises and bike and walking.  Just started the elliptical today 1 mile.
I work from my home and with all of this pt work I get very little real "work" done because I am exhausted after my exercise.  I am for sure making my rehab precedent so I am fortunate I don't have a schedule.  I would not like to have a defined schedule at this point.  Energy levels are not back to 100% at this point for me anyway, but my determination is at 250% for sure. This is probably the first week in 5 years I have not taken some kind of pain medication.
Happy son...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

John C

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:39:15 AM »
Hi Aerial,
Like everyone has been saying, every recovery is different. At four weeks I was just starting to get my energy back, but I still often needed a cane to walk any long distances. By six weeks, I was feeling pretty normal, and was able to tackle a remodel project, somewhat cautiously.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 05:25:29 PM »
I felt a turning point at four weeks.  Still I had trouble getting a full days work in.  And even if I was there physically I was not nearly as productive as normal.  I seemed to get tired easily.

Also be careful as you start to feel better.  I would find myself sitting for long periods of time without thinking about my hip.  Then getting up would be difficult and there would be more pain.  I definitely needed to make a more conscious effort to move.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
Hi Aerial,

As everyone else has already said, everyone is different and heals at a different pace. The first two weeks were tough, but after that, things got better very quickly. In my case, I went back to work full time after 4 1/2 weeks, and it was no problem (I'm 65 years old).  I was walking without crutches or a cane at about 3 weeks.  One of my friends suggested getting a handicap parking permit, but since walking is the best therapy after the surgery, I did not get one.  I work in an office, and sit in a chair most of the day, but I can get up and walk around pretty much any time I want, which helped.

I think you will be surprised at how quickly you feel better after the surgery. Dr. Gross's protocol is specifically designed to reduce pain and help you heal as rapidly as possible, and he does some things that I believe are unique, like the plasma thing.   
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
Wow there does seem to be a lot of variability.  It'll be interesting to see how it goes.  It is just a waiting game at this point.  I am so ready to be pain free.  It was a gorgeous fall weekend here and I definitely overdid with mowing and cleaning all windows in and outside.......lots of achiness today.   :(

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats