+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recovery information - What I should be trying to do  (Read 2481 times)

TonyUNN

Recovery information - What I should be trying to do
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:52:20 AM »
I had the hip resurfacing operation on the 13th of September and was at home on the 14th.
While in hospital I was told what not to do, the most frustrating thing is no one has said what I should be trying to do during my recovery.
As of now Iam on one crutch and walking without for short periods of time,  I have sat on a static exercise bike and neither of these things give me any pain.
There is a slight weakness in the left thigh muscle but I expect that is normal given the amount of surgery that was done in the area.
Is it a fact that every single person is different and no one can tell me how I should feel at any given point.

Any information would be appreciated.
cheers

Lopsided

Re: Recovery information - What I should be trying to do
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »
the most frustrating thing is no one has said what I should be trying to do during my recovery.

Walking. Lots of walking.

Who did your resurfacing, and what device?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

TonyUNN

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:35:23 AM »
The consultants name was Holland, not sure of the name of the device, Birmingham was mentioned at the time I was assessed.
It all happened so fast, thought it would take months but I got 5 days notice and was done.

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »
i had my resurfacing on the 14th so you are just 1-day ahead of me. did you have in-home PT? my in-home has given me about 12 exercises to do twice a day (some in a chair, some in the bed, some standing); i have found these to be helpful ... i think they are virtually the same ones that are on the mcminn website. everyone seems to say walking is good so i do take several walks each day, too.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

TonyUNN

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
The frustrating thing is that I was only told what I could not do, no one sat me down and said to try anything, around the house as of today I am walking without crutches.
I cycle on an exercise bike for about 8 minutes each hour as well as walking outside with one crutch as a support.

Waiting to see the consultant again in about 5 weeks time I only hope that by then I don't do anything stupid.

I have read many of the other posts on this site and I think I am OK, I will ust keep walking and see what happens.

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
You came out of hospital the day after surgery, and you have to wait five weeks to see the consultant. That is not right. That is bad service, ignoring you as a patient.

You should be getting physiotherapy now as well.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
Wow, I find that irresponsible of the surgeon and hospital that you were not given exercises.  I think the problems that a lot of people have weeks and even months after surgery are because they did not get exercises to strengthen and stretch the smaller support muscles.

Walking and cycling are great but they will only help the larger muscles.  There is a lot of trauma to the smaller muscles in the hip capsule.  These muscles and ligaments need to be worked as well.

I could walk a long ways not too long after surgery.  But there are still very basic sideways movements that are difficult and painful.  But they are getting better because I have exercises given to me by my PT.

Please demand that you get some physical therapy from someone very familiar with hip surgeries.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

John C

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
I agree that you should contact the surgeon's office, and insist on either a prescription for PT with someone familiar with resurfacing, or a sheet outlining the exercises that you should be doing. While acknowledging that doctors will have different rehab protocols, you may also go on web sites of Drs like McMinn and Gross, where you will find descriptions of their rehab protocols.
One area that is not always mentioned, but I think most people would agree is excellent, is exercising in a pool. Be sure that your incision is totally healed, meaning no external stitches or scabs, before going in a pool, unless your doctor specifies otherwise.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

TonyUNN

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
Thanks for that, where I work is where they train Pyhsio Therapists I will ask about exercises there as well as at the doctors.

cheers

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »
Tony, I think many of us got pretty much the same exercises for early on. I kept doing these for the first few weeks, even while doing more intensive outpatient PT.

The basic exercises are described on this site, at:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesearly.php

This is a good group of exercises. I did them three times a day, then mixed in three walks of about 1/4 - 1/2 mile each.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

TonyUNN

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies, once I have seen the list of exercises I need to do I have realised that my own common sense had kicked in and I was doing the majority of them by accident.
At exactly three weeks to the day I can walk without crutches around the house and for small distances, I am now on an exercise back for 8 minutes every hour to keep things free.

The only feeling I have, pain would be too strong a word for it is where I think they cut through the thigh muscle I get a feeling of pulling or tightness but I can now put a sock on and that sense of freedom is beyond words.

I feel now that all I have to do now is walk and stretch on a day to day basis and things will be fine.

Again many thanks for the information and support.

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
Sounds good, Tony, I think you're about where you want to be at 3 weeks. As for the tightness, I'd recommend getting a roller for when you are ready (it was about six weeks for me), to loosen up any ligations from the surgery and to help you get loose.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxx6789

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
As for the tightness, I'd recommend getting a roller for when you are ready (it was about six weeks for me), to loosen up any ligations from the surgery and to help you get loose.

generally this is known as a "foam roller" (made of pretty hard, firm foam). should be able to find at virtually any sporting goods store. they are pretty inexpensive. generally, located near where the yoga equipment is.

i used one to get the stiffness out in my lower-back ... priceless!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

lori.36

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Tonny,
Sounds like you are doing what you should be doing.  I did very little PT, just mainly got massages at the PT office, because I was doing everything according to schedule.  It was nice to see him once a week at the 3 week marker, because I would want to ask ?s, How to strengthen a particular muscle, how do I get on the floor and back up safely?  How do I get in the car and out by myself?
I do have to say that my doc has a PT routine on his website that you should check out:
http://coloradohipresurfacing.com/English/Medical/Rehabilitation_Exercises.html
In regards to the stiffness, I used a rolling pin to roll my muscles, the foam roller was to ackward and to much pressure at 3 weeks, I started that back up at 6 weeks.
I think the reason that they did not give you many things to do, is because you can do what ever you want just listen to your body.  There is really only a short list of things that you cannot do: running, hopping, swimming, yoga moves that twist your legs around.
Best of luck and looks like you are on the road to recovery.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat