+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Too Young for This. Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the BHR  (Read 6956 times)

News Guy

• Pritchett LBHR Winter 2012
This is my first post here. Let me start by saying this forum and accompanying website have proven invaluable in my research. Thanks to everyone who posts.

Now a bit of background on my situation: I first began experiencing hip pain 20 years ago during high school football season. I would get sharp stabbing pains in my hip joints, that my primary care doctor couldn't explain. After a several x-rays, a bone scan and two MRIs, I visited an orthopedic surgeon at Seattle's Swedish Medical Center. He said, but for a slight anatomical anomaly in the shape of my femoral head, he too couldn't explain my pain. He suggested Naproxen and ice when I experienced discomfort, but basically to "live with it".

In the intervening decades, I remained very active, primarily lifting weights and running. Slowly but surely, the pain grew worse and my range of motion became more and more restricted. About three years ago, I started a much more active running regimen, competing in a hand full of half marathons. After running the Seattle-Half last Thanksgiving, I really started to notice the pain in my left hip becoming more pronounced and moving into my glutes. I finally decided I needed to go an see someone for another look. After doing research, I thought it was very likely I suffered from some sort of impingement. I went to see Dr. Phillip Downer, a well known arthroscopic hip surgeon here. After reviewing my x-rays, he put it quite bluntly: "You have advanced degenerative osteoarthritis, you're bone on bone in your left hip." He said it was likely a combination of impingement and genetics.

After being told "we can't find anything wrong with you," all those years ago, to now hearing, "you'll need a total hip replacement," was a tough pill to swallow. The diagnosis was confirmed by another orthopedic surgeon. But I couldn't get past the idea that at my age, I could very well need one, if not two, THR revisions in my lifetime... not to mention it would mean a drastic change in my lifestyle. My work isn't a concern, I report the news for a living, my body doesn't take a beating. But I have young kids and want to be as active with them as possible... and continue to do the things I love, like weightlifting and running.

So after extensive reading and research, I consulted with Dr. Pritchett for a hip resurfacing. I'm a good candidate and I'm planning to schedule for the early part of 2012. Despite knowing this my best option, I keep second guessing myself. The idea of being so-young and needing such drastic intervention, is a tough hurdle for me to clear.

I would like to hear from any of you... and especially "younger hippies". How did you deal with the emotions that come along with a decision like this? Were you glad you didn't wait? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

News Guy

Dannywayoflife

Re: Too Young for This. Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the BHR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:54:12 AM »
Hi news guy,
                  I'm a young patient (28) and I have also always been a compettatve athlete. I was diagnosed with grade 4 OA just over a year ago and since my life has changed drastically. I am currently unable to live my normal life I have gained weight and have suffered with depression.
I am scheduled to be fixed on the 9th of november. I even more than you have to come to terms with the fact I'll need multipul revisions in my lifetime which does get to me! But I also have the likelihood that my BHR will give me 20+ years of unrestricted life.
I'm glad you found this site as it's a great place for support and info and has been invaluable to me!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

maxi

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:39:01 AM »
all i can say is go get it done and regain your life ... u wont look back ... im 50 and the no pain is awesome ...

how old r u ??

cheers Maxi
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:19:05 AM »
I'm 43 & booked in for LBHR on 2nd Nov. Can't wait to get on with it & get back to an active, drug & pain free life. I am anxious, apprehensive & all those expected emotions. Some people look at me surprised when I tell them I'm having a hip replacement... "But you're too young" bla bla. I have 3 young children who I currently feel more like a granddad than a father to. I used to be very active playing squash, tennis, trail biking etc so I feel fortunate there's an option like resurfacing available.
Like you I still 2nd guess myself and research a lot, but what's motivating me currently is digesting all the success stories. Just today I spoke to a guy here in NZ who had his BHR done just over a year ago. He's enjoying playing squash 3-4 times a week with no hip issues at all. I'm looking forward to sharing some sucess stories of my own very soon, but most of all I want to get my life back. Go for it with confidence & positivism mate.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
Hey news guy, welcome.

Towards the end of my indecision about getting the surgeries done, I would get comments from people (like my ex wife) that I "walked like an old man", and I was continually compromising with anything that involved movement. Moving my daughter into college (4th floor walk up) carrying her boxes was brutal, limping the whole way while my girls looked worried and drawn. I think the experience was worse for them than for me.

The idea is that I already was physically so limited that I was not living my age. Getting the surgeries (both hips) has cleared that up for me, and I am getting back to movement and doing things that I'd given up years ago. You'll find plenty of stories like that here. You need to come to your decision at your own pace, but from me, this is the best thing I've done for myself and my girls. They now see me relaxed and not in pain, doing the things that I love.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:30 AM »
You should see it as an opportunity. You might find resurfaced hips work better than you expected from natural hips.

But I couldn't get past the idea that at my age

Everyone feels that.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

gibbcutter

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
New Guy

Wow!  My story is  the same.  I was told the cause of my OA was a deviation in the size of the acetabulum.  My hip pain started during my senior year in college.  I  was on  the wrestling team and at that time, we thought it was just a muscle  strain.

At 57 I finally got my left hip resurfaced.   I am at the 13 week mark and so far, so good.  I am still not a 100% but  I am on my way to achieving that goal. 

I intend to live much longer so I was not enthusiastic to get a THR.

Good luck.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
Hey gibb - didn't know you were at 13 weeks... time whips by after the initial recuperation, doesn't it? How are you feeling?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
Depends what you think young is, I was 48 when I found out for sure, although from the pain I was having in the years leading up to it I kind of knew.

It's a shock at first, some even deny it and try to ignore it but what you need to do is realize that the surgery is going to make you normal again. You cannot fight what is wrong but rather make the right decisions from here on in.

The first doctor I went to told me that "you are not going to die from this" and "this can be fixed" which made me feel better for sure.

Thousands of people have had this hip resurfacing surgery, if you choose a very experienced surgeon you have a 98+ % chance of a successful surgery and result. 

Chuck

I would like to hear from any of you... and especially "younger hippies". How did you deal with the emotions that come along with a decision like this? Were you glad you didn't wait? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

News Guy
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

lori.36

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
NewGuy, I was 36 when I was diagnosed with end stage OA and I got my surgery when I was 37.  I think there was nearly a year from diagnose to surgery.  I tried every possible method to aleviate the pain, but only one thing worked:  surgery!
I waited also because I was a new mother and I was waiting for my second child to be done nursing.  I was also hoping that my hips would go in which would remove the pain, I had a lot of hope, but when the hope ran out, I signed up for surgery. 
Do I regret waiting that year?  No, because I was a Mom and needed to be home for the baby.
Do I regret having the surgery at 37?  No, and hope to never regret my decisision.  I am able to do everything that I want to do!  I felt handicaped prior to surgery, the pain was manageable but horrible at the same time.  I was fed up not being able to play with my kids without pain.  I wanted to teach my kid how to ice skate, but the pain was too bad when I would bend and push.  I wanted to teach my kid how to ride a bike, but the pain was too bad.  I wanted to hold my baby and walk around the house, but the pain was to bad.  and now the pain is gone.
Best of luck with your decision.  Give yourself time it is a big thing for the mind to deal with.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Luanna

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
Hi News Guy,
Dr. Pritchett just did my right hip on Aug. 30th. He's awesome - one of the best and his patient coordinator, Susan, is very helpful both before and after surgery. Prtichett has excellent success rates and very few complications. I checked his stats thoroughly before I agreed to surgery.

At 6 weeks I have to say, I'm feeling GREAT!!!!! I couldn't have said that at 3 weeks. Give yourself a few weeks after surgery before you rush back to work - even news reporting takes energy...  :D

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
News - I'm 42 and had both done this year.  I had a similar story, but I had no idea why I had all the ROM problems I had for the few years was OA.  I was clueless until I saw an ortho surgeon about a 1 year before my first surgery.  I almost went to Downer, partly for the excellent name "Dr. Downer".  I went to Wagner in Portland (arthro guy like Downer) but he was metaphorically a Dr. Downer, because my OA was too far advanced. 

Dannyway is probably one of the youngest here, so I have to frame my perspective based on his position in life.  I don't feel that young for HR at 42.  There are a number of folks in their later 30's and 40's that post here.  It doesn't sound like you're super young for this.  I agree with the others, don't worry about your age and focus on getting your life back.  Also, I don't know Pritchett's exact stats, but he approaches McMinn with experience and knowledge of HR.  He's authored or co-authored tons of papers on the subject.  I really like his demeanor, sort of quiet, super knowldegable, sharp and very dedicated.  He's a real scientist also.   Good luck and stick around.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Luann

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »
Hi Guy! 45 when I had it done. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "You're too young... blah blah blah" I know people mean well, but it just doesn't help, does it? I just say that I guess my hip didn't get the memo. Anyway, I'm loving life now at 16 months post op. No real problems. I feel young again. Just wish that AARP stuff would quit coming in the mail!!!!!  Good Luck, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

MattBrunner

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
News Guy,

That is what is great about this site just when you think you are the only one going through this you jump on the site.  Glad there are so many of us younger active hippys.

I'm at 9 week post Op LBHR Pritchett and only 43 and have played competitive volleyball for 23 years.  Sitting in the Pre-Op training at Swedish the nurse asked me who I was here with that was going into surgery.  Trying to tell the TSA every week I have a metal hip is still not working.

I was cleared last week to do anything I want and about 90% strength, and even golfed last week. I will be on the sand courts next week and using both the good and the better metal hip.  The other thing is Pritchett only aspirin as blood thinner for surgery with his younger, and only on pain meds for one week.  Look at it this way you will better than you were 10 years ago in less than 9 weeks if you are like me.

I love my metal hip, and sure you will like your too.

Matt

Lopsided

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »
You might find your resurfaced hip so good, that you are dissatisfied with the remainder of your body.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:22:09 PM by Lopsided »

News Guy

• Pritchett LBHR Winter 2012
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. As some here have mentioned, I do think it's quite possible my new hip will be better that what I've lived with for 20 years. I can't remember what it was like to not have hip pain. Nor can I remember a time that I had any kind of hip mobility. Hopefully, this will all change with surgery.

Lopsided

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Lop: you crack me up... But yes I have thought about that the other day, like now what else is going to start hurting..lol!

Yes, I would say it is important to accept that arthritis is an example that we are not indestructible. Some people get their hips resurfaced and seem to return to high level sports successfully, with no concerns to the remainder of their joints. But I think resurfacing makes many hippies self aware and more capable of maintaining themselves.

D.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Lop - what are you talking about?  the rest of my joints have the same youthful cartilage I had when I was a teenager. ???

not quite, but I do think that because my hips were compromised, the rest of the joints in the line were partially spared.  Seems like a reasonable theory.  That's my mechanical engineer waanabe side coming through. 

Matt - You rock, I love hearing stories about people getting back into it.  If I went in a couple weeks earlier we could have played a little soccer or volleyball in the fancy bamboo lined halls of Swedish, on day one.  ;)
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

MattBrunner

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 11:51:33 PM »
Tin,

I am adding you to the Pritchett army.. :D  You will like this I was so worried about my 9 week post OP appointment that Pritchett would tell me I shouldn't play volleyball anymore or any of the other things I wanted to do.  In his classic style he told me the BHR isn't an issue it might hurt as I move to active impact sports or I might need the other hip done at some point but it wouldn't hurt the BHR to play.

I will enjoy every chance I get to use my new hip, because this is a new lease on my active life.

News Guys we want to hear your story when you join the army too. 

Matt

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:17 AM »
Matt-

At my nine week Dr. P told me that everything was great.  I can start scuba diving.  And he said I could start running at 6 - 7 months.  I was expecting one year so this is a bonus.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM