+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Usually how Long After HR Before Gentle Horseback Riding?  (Read 5281 times)

apx_31088

Usually how Long After HR Before Gentle Horseback Riding?
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »
     Had a complicated HR done by Dr Gross in August 2010.  He had me on his slow recovery program which included 6 weeeks of crutches with 10% weightbearing.  He also ordered no horseback riding for a year.  I felt great after the HR, and have been driving continously since 3 days after the surgery and with no pain.  But I followed the doctor's order carefully about the horseback riding (actually, my wife made me follow the doctor's order carefully about the horseback riding).  At the one year post-op checkup, Dr Gross cleared me for everything.  I had already been doing everything for several months, except the horseback riding because wife was adamant about that.
     Going to have another HR in December 2011.  This one is not going to be complicated.  With non-complicated HR, what do you know to be a typical amount of recovery time before cleared for gentle trail riding?  I am trail riding now and enjoy training my horses very much to keep them rideable.  Will non-riding recovery time be needed?

Luann

Re: Usually how Long After HR Before Gentle Horseback Riding?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
HI Apx,
 Please read all my posts under Horseback riding if you want a clear picture of uncomplicated HR recovery and riding.
  I was cleared to start riding at 3 months post op. This was exactly the amount of time that the Dr originally promised me (barring complications). I started just light arena riding at first on the most broke horse I could find. At first it was hard to post (even if you ride western and never post, force yourself to do it anyway- it will strengthen your leg muscles and balance). I also noticed that it hurt a little when I loped to the left (therefore the horse was in a left lead). I had my RIGHT leg HR'd so it must have something to do with the motion it threw my body into in that particular lead, as the right lead did not hurt it at all. I think it took about 6 months total to get over all of this. It never was too bad anyway, and I just pushed through it (or took a couple of Advil). Now my strength is back and the leg bothers me very little if at all. Good Luck!! I ride horses in aggressive sports almost 5-6 days a week and my HR gave me my life and passion back!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal