+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Charlie horse in butt  (Read 5330 times)

pilgeram

Charlie horse in butt
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
Hi All, My hip was re-surfaced two weeks ago.  Today, I worked with the PT in the pool.  It was great to be moving.  I walked without a limp and swam several laps.  I tried several kicks including  flutter, side and a whip kick.

This evening, I have a huge charlie horse in the middle of my butt. :o  Any thoughts? 

Alice

momzer2

Re: Charlie horse in butt
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »
Alice,

Congrats on being a new 'hippy'.  Welcome.  I'm not sure that what I felt was exactly a charlie horse, but I found that the spot that hurt the longest was smack in the middle of my buttock (left) since that was my operated side.  After I would do any duration of walking, etc. that side of my hiney would 'scream' for mercy.  Have you tried using ice?  Sounds weird but I found that if I iced my butt after PT/walking, it really felt better.  Even my PT gal said I should always ice after a workout.  Hope this helps.

Karen 9-18-07 LBHR Barba

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »
Hi Alice

Welcome to Hip Talk.

You are still early in your recovery.  Sometimes if you do too much - your body really complains.  Sounds like you did too much. We all heal at a different rate.  If whatever you are doing is causing pain - then don't do it. 

Two weeks is very early on to be pushing yourself.  Relax, walk and take it easy.  Everything will heal eventually.  It takes a good year or more to get completely healed.  2 weeks post op is very early in the healing stages.

I had my big thigh muscle spasm on me.  Marc the PT in Belgium said I should take magnesium for spasms.  He also did a lot of massage to that area of my leg.

Icing, as Karen, suggested is also very good.  Better if you take it easy and don't cause yourself any extra pain. Dr. De Smet always said take it easy, if it hurts - don't do it.  You will heal and recover, just give it some time.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ronnie

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
Good luck
                   It sounds normal to me Its probably the only pain i had. I don't have much cousion in that area. I ran my butt off when i was younger.I know i repeated what everyone says but i think sometimes u need to hear it from more than 1 person.
                Ronnie

dgm

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:50:33 AM »
I'm glad I read your post - yesterday after my walk I thought I'd done something to hur myself.  I had what I'd call muscle discomfort deep in my glute on the surgical side.  Felt like someone had "frogged" my rump.  It's gone this morning - I'll try the ice too. 

Denise
RBHR 2-14-08 Dr. Rogerson
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat