+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I'd Like to Hear About More Success Stories  (Read 7899 times)

Boomer

I'd Like to Hear About More Success Stories
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
It could just be my perception, but it seems to me that there has been an overabundance of negative posts recently related to problems, concerns, complications and disputes about what should actually be posted here. Quite a difference from the very positive tone I appreciated when I first found the site a few months ago. Again, just my opinion.

I'm about 6 weeks from my first resurfacing, and miss all the wonderful recovery stories that had me feeling good about getting my life back through HR. I'm moving from highly motivated to somewhat concerned.

The success rate for BHR is 96-97%! Why is it all of a sudden the posts have gotten so negative?

Pat, why not set up a separate Heading just for pure motivation for those of us waiting for repairs? I think all of us are aware of the potential probelms associated with hip resurfacing. Some days I just want to come to this website and read glowing testimonials to keep me motivated. I was overwhelmed with positive posts in response to my very first post here. It was wonderful!These days I'm seeing too many posts dealing with the 3-4% complications. It's scary

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I'd Like to Hear About More Success Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
Hi Boomer

I am glad to hear you are doing well.  You are correct, that there has been a lot of people posting about probelms recently.  Please remember that these are still in the minority with the BHR still having a 96% retention rate.  I think we have to understand that the "squeaky wheel gets the oil"   When you are unhappy and have problems, you just are angry and upset.  I think the Discussion Group seems to be attracting those folks and I have no problem with that.  I think they need support and want answers to why they need revisions.  I do have categories for Post Op Problems and Revisions, but normally folks just post in the first topic they come to. So all the problem postings are mixed with the good postings.  Also remember when you are feeling well and doing well - you are getting on with your life.  You don't tend to post as much as if you are sitting in your bed or chair with great pain and wondering what is wrong or going wrong.

It is difficult to keep things in perspective, but again, we have to understand those that are hurting are posting the most.  Perhaps this is a message for all those folks doing well to come back and let the world know how good their surgeries went and how well they are doing.

I am trying to address all the nasty comments and flaming that has been going on.  I try to be fair and not ban people, but I have done so recently.  This is a place to discuss opinions, problems and stories - not argue to prove your point.  Of course, I could delete all negative stories to make hip resurfacing look good, but I would never do that.  I feel bad for people with problems and want them to be able to talk to others.  So it is difficult to keep the discussion group balanced among the 96% of folks who are doing great and the small amount of folks with problems.  The amount of problem posts would certainly suggest there is a lot of problems with hip resurfacing, but we all know that is not true for 96% of the hip resurfacing patients.  I will have to write another article with the up to date stats from the National Registries to support my numbers and information.

Good Luck and please keep us updated on your happy and positive recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
I'd like to rewind this forum back to a month or so ago, I do not know what got into the water around here but it's turning into a drama queen convention (Carly I am not refering to you directly).

Folks, lighten up, I am sure if we all were to meet in person we would not have these issues, I think 99.9% of the folks that post here are good people.

Neither Pat or I like to ban and remove posts, yes, you have some freedom in your posts, some, but it's not a right.  First amendment rights talk about your rights against the government, in private you have no freedom of speech.  Try this test, go into your employer and call him a horse's a$$ and see if your first amendment rights work.  Do that to a politician and you might get a medal.  LOL

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Luanna

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
I agree that 99.9% of all the folks who post here are good people and their intentions are to share information and learn all they can about other people's situations so that they can apply it to their situation.  I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm unsure about what they are trying to communicate.

I'm  also conflict avoidant so that's my strategy. Also, I'm a psychologist and I want everyone to feel good and be happy. I like the idea of rewinding and decompressing a bit and letting things just get back on a nice even keel.  Sometimes the tone expressed on a forum or in email can be different than the person writing the words intends.

Success stories are GREAT and inspiring. I also want to know when someone is experiencing a difficulty so that I can offer support even if I don't have a solution or great practical advice.

Thanks for listening.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
Boomer-

Feel free to check out my blog listed in my signature line.  I have had a very positive experience through the 11 weeks.  I am still working on getting everything strong and limber.

I read this blog top to bottom as I was making a decision to have an HR.  And then I read it again once I made my appointment four months out.  I read the good and the bad.  I checked out the links to the stories and articles.  I read the reports from the national registries.

Once I had gone through all the information I made an informed decision with the following information.  The vast majorty of HRs are successful.  The best outcomes come from experienced surgeons using implants with great track records.  My hip was going to continue to deteriorate to the point that eventually I would need a THR.  There was a high probability I would be able to resume the activities I had given up because of the pain.  And that if I eventually need a revision a THR is relatively easy.

Did I second guess right up until surgery?  You bet I did.  This is not a minor procedure.  Did I know that I had done all that I could do to insure the best possible outcome?  Yes I did.

Best wishes as your day approaches.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »
Dan,

I've been following your progress, and find your updates to be inspiring. I hope to do as well as you have.

Thanks for the post.

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
John C.

You are my hero. You are living the life! Everybody benefits from stories like your. You cannot tell them too often.

Thank you for staying posted.

Boomer

rock_chic_fairy

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »
Hi Boomer,
I just wanted to say that I am guilty of a less inspiring post and just wanted to say that my intention is by no means to demotivate anyone regards their own uupcoming surgery. I am in a minority that the re-surfacing is not suitable for. I am a small boned female, I stand at 5 foot in bare feet if the wind is in the right direction! Please do not be put off by my experience, if my story has contributed to the way you feel then please accept my sincere apologies.
Good luck with your upcoming surgery, as others have said, the success rate far outweighs those less successful.
RCF x

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
RCF,

Your story needs to be told. The only people who can understand what you are going through are the people on this website. I'm a Newbie, so I don't understand anything yet, except my own fear and anxiety. I can't even comment on what you are going through, except to offer you best wishes and a happy outcome. 

My post was selfish one. I was looking for more motivational stories to help keep my attitude positive.

You are not guilty of anything. If I had your address, I'd send you flowers.

Hang in here and keep posting. Stay with us.

Boomer 

bryanb

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
I think I must have missed some of the negative posts, but all I can say is get fired up for the surgery!  After four weeks, I am becoming spoiled with my pain free life.  People always seem to be asking post surgery if it hurts or is it painful.  I always tell them that I was in pain before the surgery, now I am just a little sore and remembering what a normal body is all about. 

In a nutshell, if you have scheduled the surgery, you need the surgery.  Focus on doing whatever your body will allow to stay physically strong and alleviate your mind with thoughts of being pain free.

Off to pool therapy, first week back to work, TGIF!!!!!!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
RCF

Please don't apologize for any of your posts about your current hip problems.  That is what this discussion group is about.  We have to read about both the good and the small amount of bad.  Everyone needs to know that there is a small possibility that hip resurfacing patients can have problems and revisions. Fortunately - the good news is that very few have revisions.  Meanwhile, please keep posting and don't worry about upsetting anyone.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rock_chic_fairy

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
Everyone here is so nice! I am deffo going to promote this site here in the UK!
Boomer, as I said I am in a minority so you go for it with lots of positivity! As yourself and Pat have said, everyone has come together here with their own story to tell. On the whole I am pretty positive about my upcoming surgery, I am stubborn so they will have to amputate before this blasted hip gets the better of me!! My reasoning for my posts has been to discover whether others have had same as me wiith same complications. I am not going anywhere, after 8 Nov I hope to be able to give a timescale for my surgery then be giving you all updates from the recovery room!! I am a fighter!

As for the flowers, just the fact you made that statement was enough, bless you. Face your surgery head on xx

Boomer

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Now we got the good stuff flowing again!

BryanB, thanks for reminding me that there's lots of really good times coming for us Newbies. I've been hobbling around with grimace on my face for years. Some people have never seen me any other way. I can't remember what it is like not to be in pain. That's certainly something to look forward to.

RCF we are all going to marvel at how you turn things around. Good advice. Face things head on is what I'll do.

I'm pretty excited now. Thanks everyone.

Boomer

Luanna

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
Really love reading this thread.....makes me all happy inside! Thanks.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ohiotim

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
Boomer,
Here is a feel good story! First I want to say that, because of my great recovery I have not been posting. I think that maybe I hav'nt felt that the improvement I have been experiencing wasnt worth noting, but now I do.

I am 4 months post op on my RBHR, and 2 1/2 months on LBHR. I am feeling great. Every day gets better. I am going back to work Oct. 31. I work as a commercial construction plumber. All I can say is that I feel better than I have I 12 years, and I am only 39 years old. Sure there can be complications and those that have them are usually the vocal minority. Not that their problems are'nt real and terrible that it's happened, it does not mean that BHR is problematic. Make sure you do your OWN RESEARCH, and that you dont just listen to one person or article.

My whole experience with my surgeries has been positive, I know that all do not have the same experience but problems can be had with ANY surgery. Be sure to get a good surgeon, one that you have confidence in.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

Boomer

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
OhioTim,

Thanks for the great update. Glad to hear you are doing well and, going back to work!

I think I have a pretty good surgeon, Dr. Rector, to help me out. He has gotten good press on this website, and I have the good fortune to do business with the sixth patient he resurfaced. That fellow is five years out and doing everything he wants. I think I am in good hands. I just have the misfortune of being a medical coward! I used to climb and ski anything and everything in Colorado, but doctors and hospitals send me scurrying for a place to hide. That's why I'm trying to stir up as much positive stuff as I can.

Thanks for the great post. Inch by inch my courage is being boosted up.

Boomer

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
Boomer,

You are no medical coward! We Hippys just happen to have it behind us. Look at it this way, if we had really terrible, frightening experiences, you would here about it from us. There is always the tendency to imagine how scary it will be. It's just normal. Believe me and the others will tell you, it's nothing at all like that. It's natural to feel anxious and maybe at times even scared. When you feel it overwhelming you, tell us, we can help you feel better. Everyone seems to say the same thing after they are done with their surgery. "It wasn't at all bad and not at all the way I thought it would be." The surgery prep nurses will help relax you quite a bit just by talking to you and calming you. You won't freak out. That was one of my big fears leading up to my surgery day. I imagined myself jumping up and running out of the hospital. What a sight that would have been! An old guy dressed in a hospital gown with no back on it gimping out the sliding front doors! As bad as my hips were I wouldn't have gotten very far. You'll be O.K. You're not alone with your feelings.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Boomer

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »
New Dog,

I am completely humbled by people like you, and Tin Soldier and so many others who have already completed the journey I am facing. So many fine Hippys keep coming back to support the Newbies like me who really couldn't get through it without the guidance. I've never blogged before, never been part of a support network like this. Thought I was alone for quite awhile.

I don't have the right words to say Thank You often enough, or sincerely enough. Extraordinary people frequent this site. I look forward to the day when I can give back what I've taken from you Hippys.

Thanks

Boomer

lori.36

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
Boomer,  only 6 weeks left and then Dr R will change your life back.

I am sorry, I also have not been posting because the weather is so nice.  All of my free time I am out walking or biking.  This has been a great Indian Summer!
So on Nov 11, I will be 6 months out.  All is well with me.  My hip is doing excellent and rarely stop a physical activity because of  pain, mostly because of time.  You will be fine, are you doing some pre-op exercising?  Swim and stretch.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Anniee

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
Boomer, I had my second hip resurfaced 10 days ago my first one was last April.  I had a great recovery from the first surgery, minimal post-surgery pain and walking without crutches or a cane after less than 3 weeks, and no problems in the 6 months before the second surgery.   But guess what?  I was still nervous and apprehensive before my second surgery (same surgeon, same hospital)!  I guess you could call that being a medical coward, but I call it being human. 
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear