+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Rules Added to Hip Talk Moderation Guidelines  (Read 4422 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
New Rules Added to Hip Talk Moderation Guidelines
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
I added a new rule under the Hip Talk Moderations Guidelines at the footer of the page:

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

Please remember that close to 1500 new and unique visitors use this site everyday.  When a new guest arrives, they are looking for positive information about hip resurfacing.  Yes, they need to know both the good and bad.  Yes, I have many revision stories posted and many people on the discussion group with revisions and problems.  The key, however, is to keep the good and bad in perspective.  The BHR has a retention rate of 96% worldwide and that is what I would like the discussion group to reflect.  I know people with problems tend to post more because they are angry, upset and looking for answers.  I want us to be able to help and support those people.  I also want those people with great recovery stories to be here to help new people learn about the 96% of folks that have really good outcomes. 

The goal of my website is to help new patients learn about the positive aspects of hip resurfacing.  Yes, I am pro hip resurfacing and want the website to reflect that.  They need to know the full story that there are problems, but the problems are in the minority - not by my opinion, but by the the statistics in the National Registries and the surgeons medical studies about hip resurfacing.

If a person has problems or feels differently about some aspects of hip resurfacing, they are welcome to post their comments.  If those comments become numerous and start hijacking other topics, then I will consolidate the comments or remove them. Please look at this discussion group thru the eyes of a brand new visitor when you post or comment. What message do you want to send to the world about hip resurfacing? I prefer it to be - hip resurfacing is a great option for the right candidates and they do very well after their surgeries.

Pat
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:09:19 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

Re: New Rules Added to Hip Talk Moderation Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »
Thanks Pat for the updates.

I think for the most part this forum runs extremely well, like I said a few days ago it's so rare that I have to ban someone I forget how to do it.  Same thing goes for removing posts it's so rare I often have to look around for the button to remove the post.

As Pat says, we take the good with the bad, in fact some of the members here with high numbers of posts are some of the members that had or have some serious problems, Spencer Roberts for one and B.I.L.L.  As Pat said, those with problems are usually the members who are the most outspoken, those that are successful usually hang around a short time and leave, sometimes for good.

We all have to remember this is a support group and we must support each other.

If anyone has any issues feel free as usual to message Pat or myself. 

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

cwg

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »
Absolutely agree to a positive website. And you guys (whoever that may be) do a fantastic job with this.
I also believe that since it is your website, it is your right to manage it the way you choose. 100%.
And, you set the rules.

Am not clear on what "disagreeing" entails? Is this arguing ? Totally agree, not cool, should be private.

I think it is fantastic that there is a BHR website. And that it appears to be truthful.. yes? Showing 96% enormous success with the surgeries. Enormous success. The site reflects this, truthfully. Regularly and clearly.

EQUAlly excellent is that it permits a wee few of the 4%, to speak, to ask to listen.

Thank you. Please please keep that going on.

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
CWG,

Thanks for your comments, this is run by Pat, she's the head cheese here.

And a big thanks to everyone who have moved on from the previous drama, you all are what make this a great site I'm proud of all of you and happy to be amongst great people. 

As I've always said, this is one of the best hippy forums around.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

cwg

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:49:51 AM »

Obyx: What was the "previous drama"? People disagreeing or people arguing? Guess  I missed the "drama", and they were deleted

Differences of opinions can be  healthy, especially  if/when personal experiences  are attached.

Nothing I have read here has been offensive.

I read : incredible healthy  BHR experiences\with the occasional not so great one.

Just because I have had a not so good experience, I know I am one of a small majority
I actually believe that for the right person, the BHR is a small (maybe large) miracle

Great website offering the truth on all sides

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »
Some felt that this forum censors negative results, the rest I'll let go so as not to rehash the whole drama.

I'm just happy it's over and this site is back to normal, I like a boring site to moderate.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »
At four weeks, I am a positive story for hip resurfacing, I hope.  I would encourage a healthy disclosing and discussion of risks and pitfalls to the surgery, however, and to be able to keep it in perspective.  While HR has an awesome track record, it is not, and cannot ever be perfect.  No surgery is.  It would be wrong to overly encourage everyone on the planet to get the operation, not everyone needs it or will benefit like the majority of us here.
For those that have had revisions, or are having adverse complications that are unique or rare, we all feel terrible for their conditions and are quick to offer sympathy (as we should).  Allowing them to tell us their stories even when they are in the rare 4 % is healthy for all of us, and probably to them as well.  To those have trouble with their outcomes,  4 % doesn't mean much, its 100% to them. 
I for one believe that many that come here want ALL of the information that can be gotten about HR, both the good and the bad.  Luckily, Pat has sections within Hip Talk that fit.  The serious post op and revisions section will surely be the right place to post less than optimum outcomes for all to see and discuss.
I have gained a ton of insight and motivation from this site both before and after my procedure and hope that it continues to provide both the positive, and when it arises, the negative information that makes me smarter and more prepared.  For what its worth, Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

cwg

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
Chuckle.. Being in that 4%, I second that!

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
Yes, totally agree, if you read this site or go into any of the serious issues sections you will see many people who have had problems and Pat allows all with issues to post.

Think of it, if 1,000 people get this surgery and the experienced doctors have a 96-98% positive outcome you are going to have 20-40 people who are not happy, those are usually the most vocal about their surgery, those who have had good results have left.

We are lucky in that we have a handful of people who have chosen to "pay it forward" and stick around to help those beginning their journey and those who have had problems during their journey.  We are blessed for those that have hung around.

Chuck

At four weeks, I am a positive story for hip resurfacing, I hope.  I would encourage a healthy disclosing and discussion of risks and pitfalls to the surgery, however, and to be able to keep it in perspective.  While HR has an awesome track record, it is not, and cannot ever be perfect. 
Chuck
8-6-08

lgbran

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »
Refreshing to know of the success rate.96% + is great. I know my surgeon has only completed 300 resurfacing with 3 failures - I don't think here in Australia we have surgeons with the high rate of numbers as elsewhere. I know personally I will be most disappointed if I don't have a BHR, however at this stage there is nothing to suggest otherwise. I'm extremely great full to have found this forum with its honest predominately positive feedback and Also obtaining a second opinion regrading a BHR given my first surgeon doesn't perform this procedure. keep up the great work.
L
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat