+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Have a BHR, now need another if possible  (Read 2875 times)

hipnhop

Have a BHR, now need another if possible
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
I am scheduled for surgery Tuesday with Kaiser for BHR on my left hip. My right hip was surfaced on March 17 by the same surgeon. I just got a call from my surgeon saying that she advises against MOM.  What timing?  ALthough she has limited HR experiences she has done tons of MOM THR with no problems.  However, the chatter in the medical coicle is making her uneasy about HR.  It seems to be spreading like wildfire. I told hr I want the BHR and now she has to speak to legal.  HEre we go again. Just when I was ready to go Bi-Hippy....
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

Re: Have a BHR, now need another if possible
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that hip, no rest for the weary, I guess; hope it turns out well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »
Sorry to hear this, Hipnhop,  where are you?  It looks like it's time to find a new doctor.

Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
Hip,

If she won't do it, contact Dr. Andy Engh at Anderson Ortho. He is the best in the area and if I recall, you live in the D.C. area. I see him next week for my one year post-op.

June

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
Hip!  You are still around.  I was starting to get worried about you.

I know there has been quite a fallout from the hip resurfacing recall and lawsuits.  It is unfortunate when doctors practice defensive medicine instead of using the best techniques available.

I hope you are successful in moving forward.  I would definitely fight with your insurance carrier.  This is still an FDA approved procedure with approved implants.  And make them get you an experienced surgeon by showing them the studies showing how important that is.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
Hipnhop

I would move on to another surgeon.  Why have a resurfacing in one hip and a THR in the other.  It would be best to keep yourself balanced and find a surgeon that is pro hip resurfacing and MOM devices.  Most of the nonsence about MOM devices is actually about THRs.  Please be careful that she doesn't try to give you a small ball/plastic/metal THR.  You already have one BHR,  so why start worrying about metal ions now.  If the device was placed properly, it has a retention rate of 96%.  Let's hope it is placed properly.  I would not take a chance with your second.  Find an experienced BHR surgeon and get the other hip done.  Most of what you read about MOM d evices is very negative and not based on facts. If you want to know how well the BHR does, just take time to read the national registries.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/nationalregistries.php  The BHR has an excellent and long record. 

I hope you can find a solution that will allow you to have 2 BHRs.  Good Luck.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:53:44 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
I second what Pat said, Hip. You're almost there, find someone who you can trust to do the second and get ready for hip's version of House Party II.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Hipnhop, how incredibly frustrating this must be for you!  To be so close, and no doubt more than ready to have it done and then have this happen.  I really hope you are successful in finding another resurfacing surgeon for your left hip, even if you have to delay the surgery for a while.

Annie
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
Sorry HnH.  I think a few of us forgot your planned surgery date and were expecting you to pop in here as a happy bilat.  Not the case though.   Dude, that bites.  Like others said, get yourself a real surgeon, someone with enough confidence in their practice that a little bad PR won't shake them.   I'm starting to wonder if the freaky Youtube video scared a bunch of surgeons away.  As a scientist, the talk lately of surgeons recommending against HR, it's just bizzare to me.  Are we all looking at the same numbers here?  On the other hand, who wants an inexperienced surgeon working on you anyway?

Hopefully you can find a Kaiser surgeon, but if not, I'd still find a way to go HR.  We want you in the bilat club.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

don flash

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
Hey,  maybe the surgeon is right!!  Did any of you think of that.

Note by Patricia Walter.  You don't need to sugar coat the facts that the BHR has a retention rate of 96% worldwide. That is not sugar coated.  If you want the real facts, then you need to read the results in the National Registries located here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/nationalregistries.php Do some reading about the real statistics and don't quote information from inaccurate NYT articles that definitely are not reporting the full story. You can't sugar coat the facts that are coming in on resurfacing and MOM.  It is a difficult decision. I am not sure what I would do if I needed another one done.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:23:35 PM by Pat Walter »

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
hip,

It's good to hear from you again. I agree with the others, find another surgeon. I know it's a tough thing to do but you can't go with a THR when you already have a HR. Especially when your surgeon won't do it because of phony, inaccurate medical stories. Don't rush into it, look for someone. Get going man, you know we are here to support you.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Mi Corazon

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »
Just had my second BHR, after getting my first in late March.  Needed it bad, and five days post-op, I am walking upright with a single crutch.  Glad I was able to get in and get it done.  Asked Dr. Rogerson and staff about the MOM ions issue.  They are perplexed because they have not seen much, if any, issues in their practice.  They also say Barry Maier of NYTimes seems to have a vendetta against MOM devices, and his articles have not drawn clear distinctions between procedures, devices or surgeon quality, lumping everything together into one big bag of "FEAR".

Get the right Doc, get the right device, get it done.  And, as with everything in life, there is not a guarantee that you will never have problems, only that you have given yourself every opportunity to have a successful outcome.

Boomer

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »
Couldn't have said it any better. Well done!
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM