+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let length issues post op?  (Read 1354 times)

PistolPete

Let length issues post op?
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
Hello,

I'm getting my right hip resurfaced on Monday and as of right now my leg length is all messed up.  My right leg is about 1/2" longer than the left.  I had the bones measured thru an X-Ray and they are not different lengths but because of my double impingement in my right hip and negative rotation the leg is longer when standing.  Will this be corrected with my surgery and what can I expect post op?

Thanks,
Pete

sdunn4

Re: Let length issues post op?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
Pete- My right hip was about 3/8" shorter, and after resurfacing, it ended up almost even with the other.  I am not sure how resurfacing will make yours shorter, but I bet your surgeon can tell you.  Dr. Gross told me prior to surgery that he would even up the legs and take care of my right leg "toe-out" issue.  He was right on both accounts- I am slowly getting used to walking more like a human and less like a duck!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
    Like Steve said, most surgeons can work within a small differential.  Dr. Gross noted in my operative report that he used a leg length pin to mark it during surgery.  Not sure how that can be manipulated to effect leg length outcomes, but I'll ask at my six-week next week when I see him.
    My pelvic tilt is pretty noticeable in all my xrays.  Figure that's me trying to avoid hitting the bones when I walk, stand etc.  A good hip is probably a good start toward fixing your discrepancy.  Good luck.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Luanna

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:38:54 PM »
My leg length was uneven prior to surgery. My surgeon knew that before surgery. After a few weeks of physical therapy post-op I'm perfectly even now. I'd be sure to ask your surgeon about your concerns and what he plans to do and can do to ensure that you end up with even leg length after surgery.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear