+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scar treatment and bathing?  (Read 1194 times)

PistolPete

Scar treatment and bathing?
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
Hello,

I removed the protecive bandage last night as per my surgeons orders.  The scar is healing nicely and no discharge of any sort or redness or anything.  I've covered it with a gauze and will do so until the end of the day tomorrow and then I will go without anything.  That being said how do you guys and girls shower after removing the dressing?  Do you cover the scar with something?

Also, at what point did the scar not look so gruesome?  Looks like I got into a fight with a Samurai and lost.  haha  I know chicks dig scars but my wife is def. not digging this one in this state. 

Thanks,
Pet

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: Scar treatment and bathing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
     Once I tooke off the bandage, I didn't worry about getting it wet in the shower.  Just no immersion (bath, hot tub, swimming) until it has finished scabbing.  I tell my kids all tough guys have scars!  Careful pulling on it when drying off with towel.  Feels good, but I didn't want to stretch/tear it open.  Sounds like you keep doing really well, Pete. 

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

OtterDriver

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
I was told not to be concerned about dressings in the shower after the fifth day.  Avoided direct exposure to the shower stream and as Curt described...no immersion!  My surgeon used dissolving sutures and "steri-strips" and there were no drainage issues or problems of any sort. 

I look forward to when I can use soap again in another six weeks!

Kidding!

Bruce

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
I wrapped plastic wrap around my incision for three weeks while taking a shower. Didn't want it to get wet. I just left it alone after that. Doc said I could rub Vitamin E on it after 4th week but never did. Its been 7 months and its not too bad.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

tedroberts

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
My surgeon glued my incisions so I was able to take a shower right away in the hospital.  Again no
soaking (tub, swimming, etc.) for awhile.
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal