+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Unexpected!  (Read 815 times)

Aerial

Unexpected!
« on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »
My recent lab work showed a hemoglobin of 12.6.  Dr. Gross wants a minimum of 13 for surgery.  I had labs done in August as well and I was at 13.  They are going to retest on Tuesday at my pre-op appointment.  If hemoglobin is still below 13, I need to do subcutaneous Procrit injections.  Dang, this has caught me off guard as I thought i was basically healthy.  It doesn't seem like 12.6 is that low.  Anyone else have this issue and used Procrit?  They did say that it might have been low since I had blood drawn just after "that time of month".
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Vt waddler

Re: Unexpected!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
Hi Aerial, generally a females HGB (hemoglobin) is lower than a males, a smoker's is higher than a non smokers. Your HGB could certainly be lower after your "time of the month". On chemo or say Hep C treatment, procrit is typically introduced when HGB falls below 10 (the treatment drugs can seriously knock down HGB levels). I'm sure the doc's concern is surgery related bleeding and anemia.
 Procrit self injection is not a big deal, tiny little needle, generally once or worse case, twice a week-depending on the targeted hgb level.

Best of luck, waddler

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about the possible delay.  We get so stressed about our surgeries that it is no fun to have to reschedule.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
I don't have to reschedule yet just start the injections 10 days prior to surgery if my level is not up next week.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear