+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilats  (Read 2351 times)

Dannywayoflife

Bilats
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
Guys for those of you out there who have your bi lat surgery close together, how do you manage?! I've only had one side done and that's bad enough you guys are a special kind of though! Massive respect to you!!!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Bilats
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Dan, I had them both done last Tuesday and today I walked with one hand crutch and I rode the stationary bike.  I'm going home Thursday.  This is hard and disabling, but I'm lucky to be in a position that I can do it.  It would have been easier to do onenow and come back in three months for the other but this way I'll back training next summer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:19:54 PM by Woodstock hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »
Wow! I would say I'm a fairly robust person but having both done in such a short period I'm not sure weather i could do it!!'
I hope all goes well and you get back to your phys!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
Hi Danny,  I had mine done four weeks apart.  My doctor told me from the beginning that if I felt I wasn't ready after four weeks that there would be no problem postponing it.  I was walking pretty well with just a cane after a couple of weeks and by the fourth week without a cane, and I felt that I was definitely ready to use the first operated leg as my "good" leg.  I was lucky in that it seems like my recovery was fairly fast and I really didn't want to wait any longer.  I think it may actually have helped speed the recovery of my first leg because it forced me to use it that much more than I might have.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:24:32 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
I asked the same question when I had each one, not here, to myself.   Truly astonishing to think of folks here being able to go through a one-event bilat surgery.  Even Mike at 4 weeks between, is impressive.  I thought about doing that, but backed off before doing no. 2 and then my insurance co-pay jumped $500 for the surgery.  Serves me right for being a wimp. Although, I was very happy with the strength of my 6-month hip when I recovered from no. 2.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
I'm with you, Tin.  Don't know how well I would have done after the second surgery without my 6-month hip!  But it would have been nice to only have one recovery instead of two...
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

tedroberts

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
I had both done at once and I feel it was somewhat harder than having one done but the total time for recovery was about the same for two as for one.  If you are in good shape going in - upper body strength is a plus - having both done at once is OK.  It does freak out the PTs a bit.  They start with "use your good leg...".  I do feel that it took me a bit longer to regain my overall strength because of the bi-lat surgery and I needed two units of blood but I feel the advantage of two for one on time and cost was worth it for a physically fit 50 year old.  My Dr. agreed  to do the bi-lat since he had done one before for a carpenter who could not afford to take that much time off work.  I was able to go back to work in a week and drive to work in two.

Ted Roberts, bi-lat BHR Dr. Nelson, Edina,  MN Jan 2009   
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
Wow ted you really have guts! I have struggled with one! Utmost respect to you!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

cassiewoofer

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:34 AM »
 Great to hear you got the OP!
 I felt awful the first two days but once home was getting around on one cane and taking the strong (morphine type) painkillers for two weeks. I was able to cycle at 3 weeks, back at work at 6 weeks and play tennis at 3 months, then things really began to pick up at 5 months. I think my recovery was slow due to my lack of Physio discipline.... should have followed the routine, but was cycling everywhere and thought that would do. It didn't, walking up steps would have helped a lot to strengthen the muscles that cycling didn't work on. Will have my first game of football.....(five a side, 10 min each way) in two weeks, just before the one year mark. And will be getting back to paragliding in the spring!
 Thank god for the likes of Tracey and O'Hara (and Pat Walter!) my life is not over!
 Good luck with the recovery mate.

Keith Penny,
LBHR 15/12/10 Mr John O'Hara, Birmingham.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:51:52 AM by cassiewoofer »

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
One of the guys in my room had a thr by Mr o'hara. I was truly grateful to be under Mr Treacys care but I found that the care on the ward lacked somewhat.
 I'm progressing steadily I intend to wait the 12 months before my return to my sports as I feel it will be best in the long run. I'm going to get in the gym hopefully as soon as possible. Try and loose the pounds that I've put on since i became less mobile!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
I'm most likely going to need my other hip done and will find out more details in a few weeks when I meet with my surgeon for my post op.  I hope I have a few years on that one as I have no pain in it.  I do have some rotation issues but nothing like my operated hip.  I can't imagine going thru this again back to back. 

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
It's not so bad the second time around, Pete, but - only do it when you're ready and feel you need it. Sounds like things are going good right now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
Pete I as you fear that I will need my right hip doing in the future as I have fai on my right side as well I believe that it will eventually cause oa in that joint too.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
I'm the same boat, but like Pete my other has not given me any pain. It's currently classified as "Moderate OA". I asked my surgeon after he x-rayed my newly installed BHR what he thought my other hip looked like. The good news was he reckoned it would be another 5 years before I needed that done. I'll run with that good news for now, but I don't know how they can determine deterioration rates as they can accelerate unpredictably. I was given a range of 3 - 10 yrs for the hip I just had opearated... I just made 3yrs! I just hope I get as many years as possible before I need to get the other one done.
Hats of to all you bi-lats!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

mountaingoat

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
I am scheduled to have both hips done in the same week in January. I had bilateral hip scopes at the same time two years ago and although it was hard I wouldn't say it was twice as hard. I am a new mom and don't want to go through this twice. Nevertheless, I am scared sh*tless!  :-[

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
None of this is easy, but it is a whole world better than OA, I think you'll be fine and you can see by our same time bi-lats (I count anyone who does it within a month or so as that), that even though it's more difficult, they managed it and are doing well.

Having said that, it's ok to be scared any kind of @#* less ::) , we all were going in, but you'll be happy you did.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:47:14 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm the same boat, but like Pete my other has not given me any pain. It's currently classified as "Moderate OA". I asked my surgeon after he x-rayed my newly installed BHR what he thought my other hip looked like. The good news was he reckoned it would be another 5 years before I needed that done. I'll run with that good news for now, but I don't know how they can determine deterioration rates as they can accelerate unpredictably. I was given a range of 3 - 10 yrs for the hip I just had opearated... I just made 3yrs! I just hope I get as many years as possible before I need to get the other one done.
Hats of to all you bi-lats!
I'm lucky at the moment there's no sign of oa in the right side as far as I know. But have Been told that eventually due to the impingement. But Im not worried for now!

Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
Agree with Hern 100% - we are all anxious & have a right to be scared sh1tless as time gets closer - but what's the alternative - live in pain, not being able to run around with our children & live an active life?

Less than a week ago I was being wheeled out of my room at hospital down the corridor after years of living with pain, an older gentleman was doing some post op PT and glanced over to me and said -"It's not as bad as you think it is". That simple statement could not have been truer. Before I know it I was in recovery - and the relief. I now sit at home with the worst part over (the waiting), have meds to control pain & are well on the way to being pain free.

Like you I have a young family, but reading your posts your one may not be walking yet? Anyway - mine are 16 months, 4yrs & 6 yrs. My wife works (we have a nanny) & the pressure is on, but I know it will all be worth it. In the scheme of things - it's only a short period. The pre op anxiety is much worse the the op itself and post op & there's a load of support here to help pull you through. 

Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat