+-

Author Topic: How did you find this site???  (Read 2595 times)

PistolPete

How did you find this site???
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
I'll go first,  I posted something on a Martial Arts website regarding needing a new hip and someone said their BJJ instructor just had his done.  I actually spoke to this person and they gave me a ton of advice including this website.  I immediately joined and have been a Raving Fan ever since.  This is a great place for sure.

Dannywayoflife

Re: How did you find this site???
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
It's been awhile! But I think I stumbled across the site when I was first diagnosed with having my labrum tear. I was relentlessly researching all things hip mainly through my friend google:-)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Hey Guys

Interesting topic.  Will be watching for the answers.  I work hard to make the website grow and keep it listed at the top of Google for hip resurfacing.  I have other sites that point to it and sometimes write articles about resurfacing with links to Surface Hippy.  I ask all the doctors that I list to also list my site on their websites. The site is listed on many medical websites like HONcode and other orthopedic lists.  I try to find as many places to get it listed as possible.  In the old days, I paid for click thru ads on Google, but that is very expensive.

Will be watching to see how people found their way here.  I am very happy for all the folks that have joined to tell their stories and help others learn.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
Did a search on Bing (I think) for hip resurfacing; it's the third entry that comes up. I had heard of HR when I saw a special on Boston TV about Dr. Snyder and another doctor at Mass General who did resurfacing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
I had never heard of hip resurfacing until I came across this site. But to be fair at that point I was only diagnosed with a labrel tear and signs of some oa. How things changed when the surgeon got eyes inside my joint.
Without this site I doubt I'd have a hr device now!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
It was Google. 

I was diagnosed with OA in December by my internist.  He mentioned there might be some alternatives to full hip replacement but didn't specify.  I was referred to his son who is a orthopedic surgeon.  The son never mentioned HR and told me to come back for a THR once the pain became too bad to bear. 

I was discouraged but recalled the comment by my doctor.  I decided to find out as much as I could about OA and treatments.  Through my web searches I stumbled on to this site.  It has been a life changer.

Thanks again Pat.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

OtterDriver

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
Senior Moment!?

It's been within the last 12 months, but I don't remember exactly how/where I came across this site or hip resurfacing in general.  Had my hip done last month and now looking into getting my BBR done next year somewhere...any suggestions?

Bruce

(BBR/Bruce's Brain Resurfacing)  ~8^)

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
Since I am from SC, I was pretty certain I wanted Dr. Gross to do my surgery after finding out about hip resurfacing.  Googling Dr. Gross led me to this informative site!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Kiwi

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
Google search for me too. I found out about resurfacing through this site as I was looking for an alternative to THR. Don't recall exact search words but didn't seem to take long.
What a find!!!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
I think I was on the DieselStop asking questions about a pressure leak somewhere in the block and then bam this site came up and I was follower ever since.  That didn't really happen, but its a good metaphor for how quick OA and "you need new hips" hit me.   

Actually it was Google, but I believe I may have been directed to Vicky's site first and then here.  Due to the volume on the forum and ease of searching, I stuck around.

Orginally, my PT recommended that I look into HR and I was like, huh?  I was pretty fixated on FAI and arthroscopy and bluntly disagreed with a 70 yr old surgeon that said I had OA.  No #$%Sherlock, but what about some options here.  I was a bit in denial, I guess, But also a little torqued that the guy couldn't recommend a few options.  That's when it all begain and now I've spent a total of 4 days, 22 hours, and 39 minutes here and I'm sporting 2 shiny new hips.  Crazy, huh?
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

sdunn4

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
I found the site while searching for treatment for OA.  I began the search after being told that I was "bone-on-bone" and the arthroscopic surgery to repair the cartilage would be useless.  The surgeon that reviewed my X-rays in Rochester, NY told me that HR was not a good idea / THR was the way to go, and he would do it when I was ready.  I wasn't ready, and I'm glad I found this site!!  I am not big on posting on forums, but it is growing on me....

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:18:36 PM »
     Heard the name through another hippy.  Found it again after searching through articles and back door through the Baltimore hip symposium while I was researching surgeons.  In the end I kept coming back to surfacehippy for info.  A really great resource.   Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

dwbitt

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »
Pain started in Jan '11, saw a Sports Medicine Doc in Feb and got the severe OA diagnosis. Saw a couple of Ortho Surgeons while doing research online, the Ortho guys I saw all said THR was the only procedure I was a candidate for, (sounds familiar doesn't it!). The Smith and Nephew site indicated the Resurfacing was for young patients, <60 years old, I'm 65, figured I would go for a THR.

While limping around my Local Bike Shop, the manager (and friend) asked what was going on, when I explained he asked if I know John, he just had a second hip done, "something different" he said. I said "John must be a young guy", turns out he's my age.
We got in touch and John got me on the website, the rest is history.
I'm very lucky to have found it, the Pro's out there are not giving balanced information on resurfacing and who is a candidate.

I just had my 1 month check yesterday and couldn't be happier!

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

mslendzion

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »
I googled hip pain for the past two years.  I found this site during my many hours looking at hip pain causes/cures.  Once I found out my hip was shot and needed to be replaced I spent time reading through your questions, advice and experiences.  I joined once I scheduled my surgery.  To all the fellow hippies out there thank you for making this process manageable and providing advice, support, and reassurance.  I hope I can help others as I have been helped.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Biscuit

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:18 AM »
Google, many years ago.  I was researching my husband's OA and it came up.  I got a lot of information and more than that, this site made both of us feel confident that it was worth it to wait until the procedure was available here; at the time, HR wasn't approved in the US.  By the time it was, for various reasons, my husband couldn't have the surgery.  But now it is time, and as luck would have it, one of the best surgeons for this surgery in the US is right here in our area.  This site came in handy, again, when researching Dr. Brooks and other qualified HR surgeons.

This site has been a terrific resource for our research over the years while we were waiting, but we/I didn't start to participate until recently, after a date for surgery was set, and we realized we didn't know a single person who'd ever had this done.  Lots of THR's, but no one who has had this specific surgery.  It's really wonderful to talk to other people who have gone through, are going through or will be going through the same thing you are.

PistolPete

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »
I think this is a great topic and I hope that it continues to grow.  It can certainly help Pat determine where she should advertise to get the best bang for her buck.  It sounds like Search Engine Optimization is king thru Google.  Do you guys remember what keywords you were searching when you found this site?

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
I was on a motocross website and a guy who had hip pain for years but didn't want to stop racing said he heard about a new "Sports Hip" that would allow him to keep riding/racing. I googled sports hip, and the rest is history.  8)

manyworries

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
I Googled Hip Replacement... this site was mentioned right at the top <3

Elle

stevel

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
A hippy before me told me about the activejoints and surfacehippy websites and who were the leading Drs and their websites.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

ctb

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »
My bff had a friend who flew to CA years ago to have BHR to avoid THR.  When I was dx'd she sent me this link (THANK GOD!!). 
Dr. Gross, LH Uncemented Biomet,  3/21/12

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats