+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR Experience  (Read 2362 times)

htj

BHR Experience
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »
I recently posted a question about BHR experience, but it was suggested that I re-post the doctor's name that I am contemplating using.  I met with Dr. Frederick Fletcher in Albany NY and was very impressed with his approach and overall experience (thousands of THR).  I am interested in a BHR since I am 56 and am (was) very active.  He felt a BHR was appropriate for me, and was honest about his 60± surgeries in this area.  (He was trained in Britain and in US for BHR)  He was also honest about the one problem he had that had to be repaired in another surgery.  I have met a number of people that have had procedures done by him, and they all are very impressed.  Although I am comfortable with this doctor, I am hearing that my doctor should have 100-200 BHR under his belt before I go through it.  I have been waiting for years for hip surgery, and this winter my pain and range of motion have become unbearable.  I look forward to your experience and suggestions.
HTJ

Elaine Y.

Re: BHR Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »
Hi,
My experience with my physician was excellent. He had done 50 plus resurfacings before mine. He was very knowledgeable and quite excited about this procedure, and that is why I was very comfortable with him. Dr. Lopez trained with Mr. Treacy in Birmingham, England. That was another reason I was very confident. Also, Dr. Lopez had done many, many THR's, which was another confidence booster. I am currently 4 plus weeks postop, and I am doing very well. I have my story posted on Hip Stories, if you would care to read that. My advice to you is go ahead and schedule the surgery. You will not regret it. Your surgeon has been very honest and forthright with you. You feel confident and comfortable with him, too.

If you want to travel or even go to another state, you will find surgeons that have more experience than the one you have chosen. But, all those surgeons had to have people confident in them in the beginning in order to do as many procedures they have done. Start living again and have the surgery. You will not regret it. I am so thankful that I have had my done. Each day is better and better and I cannot wait until the Spring to go out walking again, getting back into so many activities I love, but was unable to do because of the pain that restricted my lifestyle. At six weeks (3/4/08), my physician said all restrictions will be lifted, but to use some common sense for about 1 year for the bone to grow... but, I should have a wonderful summer. I wish that for you, too.

Hope this helps... Elaine Y. -- RBHR 1/22/08, Dr. Eugene Lopez, Elk Grove Village, IL

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »
Hi HTJ

If you are comfortable with your doctor - then that is a good solution for you. 

The learning curve according to the studies availabe is 50 - 100 hip resurfacings.  The revision rate of the BHR has fallen since the US doctors started doing the BHRs.  That's because they have to learn.  Having done thousands of THRs does not give them the experience to do a BHR. It is a much more difficult surgery.  You can see the rate has fallen here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bhrhistory.php  Since problems usually occur early in a surgeons learning experience, we normally try to get people to use the more experienced surgeons if you don't want to be one of the 4% with problems.  That doesn't mean you will have a problem, it is only the statistic from the surgeries that have been done.

If you feel good about your surgeon and have no unusual problems, you should be fine.  If you have any unusual problems, then you might want to consider a more exprienced surgeon.  The less experienced surgeons will opt for a THR if the surgery looks too difficult.  I was 61, female with a loss of bone density and a cyst and did not want to chance any of the US surgeons.  I choose De Smet in Belgium that has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and over 3000 thrs.  I wanted experience since I was older.  Some of the US surgeons don't even want to do females in their 60's.  So you just have to watch and make sure you will get the BHR you want.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:53:02 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
HTJ:

I, too, had a LBHR by a surgeon who had only done 30+ before mine.  However, I know him to be an excellent surgeon prior to learning the BHR.  Also,  I didn't really have a choice either.  My insurance (PPO) only covers our area and he is the only surgeon for 50 miles that is certified.  Anyway, I felt he would do an awesome job, and he did.  My only complaint was that he isn't 'speedy' yet.  I lost some blood and had to have 2 units my first post-op day.  This is not unusual, but I still wasn't happy about it.  Anyway, I am almost 6 months post-op and am EXTREMELY glad I had the surgery.  My new hip is fantastic!!!  NO PAIN.  Full range of motion, better than I've had in years.  And I get to resume running in a couple of weeks.  I'm psyched.  So my advice is if you feel good about the surgeon, then have it done.  Good luck!!    :D

Karen LBHR 9-18 Barba

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal