+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: simultaneous hip & knee replacements  (Read 4178 times)

ehiggins

simultaneous hip & knee replacements
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »
Hi - I'm a 52 yr. old female with severe OA in my right hip & left knee. Waiting any longer for surgery is no longer an option. Have an appt. in March with Dr. Clarke, Syracuse, NY to see if I'm a candidate for hip resurfacing. I'm concerned that my recovery will be long & ineffectual without 2 good knees. My regular orthorpedic NP seems to think I might do better to do both knee & hip at the same time. Is there anyone out there with this experience or advice? I can't find any info on the web. The idea of recovering from both at the same time seems awful, but I just really want to do the thing that gives me the best result....Anyone?
ehiggins

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: simultaneous hip & knee replacements
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
Hi

I actually read about someone that had their knee and hip done at the same time.  I am thinking it was from Dr. Gross - but I can't remember exactly.

They belonged to the large Yahoo Surface Hippy Discussion Group  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

You might want to join it and ask the same question in hopes whoever posted might still be reading.  You can also try to do a search, but the search function from Yahoo is not very good. That's one of the reasons I started this website - as a place to index much of the info that is posted over there - with permission of course.

I do know it has happened to at least one person - I believe they said it was difficult, but it turned out OK. 

Sorry I can't help you more.  Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

GolfMaster

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
ehiggins -- While I didn't have both knees and hips done at the same time, I have had both knees replaced and now have also recently had my hip resurfaced.  I cannot imagine doing all this at one time.  The pain from the knee replacements is an order of magnititude greater than the hip replacement.  Having good knees to walk only facilitates your hip recovery.  If it were me, knowing what I have already been through, I would have my knees fixed and then have the hip fixed.  I know it would really prolong the recovery time, but it could all be done in one year and you would be good to go for the rest of your life.

Doug in Michigan
R-BHR 3/17/08 Dr. Phillip Schmitt

Mike Mc

• Pain Free
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
My right hip was resurfaced 1/3/2007. I had an easy recovery.

My right knee got a partial 11 months later.  I would never describe the recovery as easy, although some folks report theirs was.

The knee operation is nothing like a hip procedure in terms of pain, ease of recovery,
length of recovery, and control.

I would have to have a Very Good reason for both at the same time,,,,and I can't think of one.  I wouldn't do it for a million dollars and that's the truth.

01/03/07 R-HRS-Biomet-C-Dr.Gross/Lee Webb

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat