+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recalled THR - still waiting for help  (Read 2995 times)

Barb102

Recalled THR - still waiting for help
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:06:03 AM »
This is my first post, but I have read many of them and found so much helpful information.  Here's my story.  I had total hip replacement 2 1/2 years ago and subsequently found out I had received the Depuy recall.    Originally my surgeon said he wouldn't touch me because he was not sure what he would find.  I received a cobalt hip which is degenerating - I go every 3 months for a cobalt blood test and my reading is 4.0 as of 2 months ago.  I went from total relief by 6 months after the surgery to extreme pain 2-1/2 years post surgery.  I walk with an extreme limp and lots of back pain along with hip and knee pain.  My surgeon has changed his tune after 2 years and said "when I am ready he will consider a revision surgery".  Obviously that does not make me feel good.  I have looked into the Hospital for Special Surgery but can't find any information on revisions from the recall.  Anyone have any suggestions.  I can't stand this pain much longer.  Thanks much.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:57:20 AM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Recalled Hip - still waiting for help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »
Hi Barb

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to the THR section.  We welcome THR patients, but most of the topics are about hip resurfacing.  That said - we still want you to post here because both hip resurfacing and THRs are major surgery and we go thru similar surgeries and recoveries.

I would suggest you DEFFINITELY get a second or third opinion.  You should not remain in pain and be questioning what is wrong.  A revision is really very major and I would make sure you use some of the top surgeons to do so.  I would not use the original surgeon.  Even with THRs positioning of the components is very important.  I would get an opinion from Dr. Su or Dr. Clarke.  Dr. Su is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the US.  He does a large amount of hip resurfacings, but also many thrs and revisions of other surgeons errors.  Resurfacing is a much more difficult surgery than a THR, so the top resurfacing surgeons are really a step above regular hip orthopedic surgeons.  All hip resurfacing surgeons also do THRs. 

So please get some more input about your hip problems and metal ion levels.  I would not continue to just rely on one surgeon and especially your original surgeon.  You need to find out what is wrong.  Even with THRs as with hip resurfacings, you should have a normal recovery and get back to being active without pain.  You should be able to walk and live your life without thinking about your hip.  There is something wrong and you need to get to the bottom of it.

Here is Dr.Su's info and the rest of the NY doctors info:

Dr. Edwin Su
1800 Hip Resurfacings to date
Hospital for Special Surgery
541 East 71st Street
New York, NY 10021
212-606-1128
877-606-1555 (toll-free)
http://www.hipresurfacingnewyork.com/index.html

Also other NY surgeons  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#New_York

Please stay in touch.  You are welcomed here and we want to read about your story when you are active and out of pain again.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

daylily

Re: Recalled THR - still waiting for help
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:12 AM »
Hi, please consider a revision. Just had mine after a botched hip re-surface and I cannot stress how good it is to be pain free.

It's 8 years since I started having trouble with hips and I had forgotten just what it was like to be able to move without pain or without thinking about how to move to lessen the pain.

My revision came with a bone graft but 3 months on it's , dare I say it?!!!!! perfect........

Use a different surgeon, get a couple of opinions before you decide.

I wish you well whatever you decide to do/

Take care
x

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Hi Barb,

I can't agree more with Pat and daylily. Daylily in particular has already traveled your road, and Pat has given you the name of a surgeon you can trust to give you a straight answer.

You shouldn't have to be in pain like this, both physically and mentally. Please follow up with Dr. Su and keep us posted.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »
Hi Barb,
One of my friends is going through something similar. She's also had a THR with the recalled DuPuy implants. Her ion levels are high. I think she told me 8 but she is not having any major pain at this time. So, they are monitoring her. She had her THR 3 years ago.
I suggest that you find a top surgeon as others have already suggested to you.

Her surgeon is telling her that a revision will not be a big deal in terms of changing out the implants. They will leave the stem that has grown into the bone and replace the femoral ball component that fits on it. I don't recall what he said he would do with the acetabular cup component. It's still major surgery and she wants to avoid it if possible.

My surgeon told me that the only way to see if and how much tissue damage there is that may be that is causing the pain is to aspirate the fluids. That is the way to determine if a revision is needed.

Hope my little pieces of disparate information are helpful.
Best wishes to you,
Luanna
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:23:35 AM by Luanna »
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear