+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Six Week Up-Date /Dr. Marwin  (Read 4860 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Six Week Up-Date /Dr. Marwin
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
Today is my six week anniversary.  I just did a 5 mile walk on a rolling paved bikepath.  No cane, no limp, no waddling.  The bikepath has mile markers every .25 miles and my first mile was 20.45.  After that I only looked at the seconds on my watch and I was surprised when I finished in 1:37:32 that my pace was 19:30. Yippie!

Right now I'm sitting home with the ice on both hips and I'm feeling absolutely Great!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:56:46 PM by Pat Walter »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Six Week Up-Date
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
Really, really incredible progress with both done and that kind of outcome at 6 weeks, WOW.  Are you taking anything for pain at this point?

Best wishes for that continuing, has to make you feel very good.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
I do a lot of heat and ice.  Heat before and ice after every workout.  I'm working really hard at this and usually end up stiff and sore in the evening.  I use the heat at night and sometimes I take a couple ibuprofen before bed.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
Excellent, Woodstock! How are you hydrating during your walks?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
When I was able to run I never worried about water for a run of this length of time.  Today's run was on the bikepath where the running club members do their long runs on Saturdays and they always put out water and Gatorade in the same place.  As I passed that spot today I thought " it sure would be nice to have a drink right now".

When Dr Marwin told me that I have no restrictions other than no pounding exercises maybe he didn't realize who he was dealing with!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
Wow!  A five mile walk at six weeks is very impressive.  It sounds like you are progressing nicely.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
Really inspiring, best wishes.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Two4One

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:40:44 AM »
How wonderful for you, Woody!!  Congrats on a very fun ride and your six weeks anniversary.  You are having a marvelous recovery, and I'm chomping at the bit to emulate your achievements.

Uhm, do you need to change the date below from 2001 to 2011? 
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
Thanks, I fixed that.  I took it easy for the rest of the day, yesterday, and kept icing the hips every couple hours.  Today, PT in the morning, then I'll go to the pool just to swim with the pull bouy.  These legs deserve a little rest.

Two4One

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
Hi Woody,

I cut and pasted your 'Six Week Up-Date' into my Recovery Log, and I'm making your accomplishment my Six Week Goal.  In our first visit later today, I'm giving Harry the PT a copy of your post too!  They say he's a fit guy who can whip me into my best shape and assist me in easily reaching my goal weight! 

Man, I'm so excited for you.  I love the high bar you are setting; I've got the long legs to hurdle on over it!

Again, YAY!! and AttaBoy, Woody!
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
You can do it

Work, work, work

Rest, rest, rest

Ice, ice, ice

Two4One

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
I'm working like it's going out of style.  Thank you, for your example and encouragement.  I really do appreciate it.  It feels so amazing to have accomplishments again after being so utterly dependent on my husband for 2 yrs prior to my resurfacing.

Do you feel somewhat giddy because your pain is gone, and do you ever have the concern that you could jeopardize your components by inadvertently overdoing it?

bilateralbliss

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
Very encouraging!  :) Had better get going here
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
'' do you ever have the concern that you could jeopardize your components by inadvertently overdoing it?''

I don't think that was overdoing it.  Pushing it for sure.  But you have to push your limits if you expect to make progress.  I'm not going to keep walking 5 miles every time I go out, I need to work hills not distance and I like to walk in the woods not the bike path,................ but it sure felt good to do it.

Two4One

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »
I think I get it now, Woody.  It seems like that your regimen and your pushing toward your goals includes Training Days, Endurance Days, and Easy and/or 'Rest' Days.

I love the woods too.

Dan L

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
Woodstock

Just curious as to Dr Marwin's post op protocol and any restrictions you may be under, and for how long.

Thanks

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
My rehab has been aggressive from the start.  Because of the anterior dislocation, I didn't even have any hip restrictions in the hospital.  When I saw Dr Marwin at three weeks, he told me to get rid of the cane and that I had no restrictions other than no pounding workouts

So far, I think this rehab has been just right for me.  And that's the point; "for me", maybe not for a lot of other people, but I've been able to handle it all and I'm thrilled with my progress.

Dan L

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
Really interesting how different the protocols are.  I had anteriolateral approach, which is reportedly only 20% of the HR in the US (more common in EU), with many restrictions: 6 weeks on crutches with 75% weight bearing only, no resistance training for one year (muscle toning and ROM only and no hill climbing), no lifting over 40 lbs for one year, etc, etc.  I'm following it closely, but it does seem a little bit too slow, as I'm champing at the bit to go back into the woods, and up the bigger hills behind the house in western NY (now that gun season is over), but the fear THR revision and such is helping me keep on the program.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »
Dan, I know that we are all different and our doctors are all different in their practice.  Who knows what the doctors saw when they had us on the table that makes our recoveries so different.  I do know that no matter how much further out I seem right now, we will even out in the long run.  I won't start running until June and I probably won't get on the mountain bike until August.

My Woodstock house is in the Catskill State Forest with the state land on two sides but I won't venture out back there.  I too don't want to risk THR.

Luann

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:25:06 PM »
Wow, wow, wow... my Dr. wouldn't even let me drive until 6 weeks had passed. I was walking, but not that far! And not bilat! Congrats WH, and thank you for sharing. Hope you continue to recover with such excellence.  HNY!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat