+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: what can I do after my resurfacing surgery last September?  (Read 1731 times)

hughstjust

what can I do after my resurfacing surgery last September?
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:56:33 AM »
Well, I had my right hip resurfaced on 20 September and thusfar, the operation has been a total success.

My walking and sitting are just fine and to crown it all, my left hip seems to have improved as well - this may mean at least a postponement for a 2nd operation.

Now that I am fully mobile again - what can I do without risk? I am about to take up clay pigeon shooting and would dearly love to cycle once again - but would either entail risk to the surgery/joint?

Michael Thompson

Re: what can I do after my resurfacing surgery last September?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
Those sure sound like good activities to do if you are feeling up to it, but to be safe, why not ask you Doctor first?!

hope things work out for you!

MT
What is in my bucket today?

http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

momzer2

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »
I had my left hip resurfaced on September 18 last year.  My ortho. cleared me for any activity once I am 6 months post-op (March 18th!!).  I am excited that I get to resume running in just 17 days.  Yes, I've been counting....  We still have lots of snow here in Illinois, but the roads are usually dry enough.  You should definitely check with your surgeon, but if everything is fine I suspect you'll get the same 6 month 'release'.  Good luck.    8)

Karen LBHR 9-18 Barba

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
Hi

I was cleared to go biking about 4 months post op.  You should ask your doctor what he suggests. 

There are many people doing about every activity you can think of.  I would think riding your bike and swimming would be fine.

You should be able to do anything this summer.  I was a little afraid to ride my bike early on mostly because of falling and possibly hurting my hip.  Dr. De Smet cleared me to bike, but I waited.

I think a call to your doctors office would get you the answers you need.  There have been some really fast recoveries where they were running at 3 - 6 months post op. Personally, I would wait 6 - 12 months to run.  Everyone, however, seems to do as they want with the permission of their surgeons.

I wish you the best and hope your recovery continues to go well.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat