+-

Author Topic: Bilateral 2nd hip slow recovery  (Read 2513 times)

othepain4

Bilateral 2nd hip slow recovery
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
When I had my first hip done I walked walked and walked. I found walking faster was easier and I could walk much further.When I went back to work and walking "normal"I quickly developed a limp. I believe I was not putting full weight on my leg.[push off with dominate leg and swing other].  I had my other side done 18 days ago and I am walking much slower and can feel the muscles in my whole leg. I feel walking slower and not "cheating" is making a big deference.It is just like weight training.I wish I had given this some more thought thefirst time around. I've heard on this site that It's not a race!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:49:16 AM by Pat Walter »

hernanu

Re: slowing down
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
I think you're right. The second leg has seemed to take 'longer', but I find that I put a lot more work into developing the right gait.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
I also say you are right.  With the first leg you were short cutting it and not developing the muscles.  That's why you got the limp when you had to walk slower.  With the second one, slow it down, sight on something ahead, and don't let yourself rock to the side.  It's much better not to start a limp that you will have to correct later.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Good point Wood, I think I was doing just that with the first leg and my un-op leg had some pain and so I couldn't really work the stride like I and the PT wanted.  It was obvious I had plateaued with recovery on the first hip.  That was part of the reason for doing no 2.  I think my recovery on the second was faster and it aided in the whole system getting straightened out.  I don't have a limp at all now.  Pretty sweet.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats