+-

Author Topic: Hip Revision Needed  (Read 7831 times)

EMB

Hip Revision Needed
« on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »
I recently found out I have to have revision surgery after 3 1/2 years.  I have the S&N model that metal particles have destroyed the surrounding tissue causing cysts and possible pseudotumors  I have a high cobalt level in my blood.  Will not know the extent of damage until revision surgery.  I was just told at my 2nd opinion that 4 years ago it was recommended that women not receive metal on metal hip.  Has anyone heard this fact?  I had no symptoms before I found out.  I never had blood levels drawn at my follow up appointments and the cyst started in 2009, however never  detected by my surgeon. 

Has anyone needed a revision?  What were your symptoms?  How long was your recovery?  Is anyone aware of any recalls with Smith And Nephew?

Erin

obxpelican

Re: Hip Revision Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Who was your surgeon?  Has anyone told you at what angle your cup was placed? Usually metal ions are shed because your device was not implanted correctly.

No, woman have been getting MOMs for a number of years, some doctors do not like to do women because their bones are smaller, the better more experienced doctors generally will do HRs on women, even smaller women.

Sorry to hear that you need a revision.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:13:34 AM »
Hi Erin

I am sorry to hear you are having problems and need a revision.

What is the cause of your high metal ions? Excessive edge wear?  Who was your surgeon?

It is very important to get input from the experienced surgeons to know what is wrong and what should be done. 

Have you been in pain.  When did the pain start?  How did you know you required a revision?

The BHR device does not shed metal particles when installed properly.  When the acetabular cup is not set at the correct angle, edge wear can occur and that is what normally causes high metal ions.  The high metal ions can only be found thru special lab work.  Who did your blood lab work?

There are many thousands of women with BHRs and have no problems.  Just being a smaller woman does not mean you can't have good outcome, but it takes the best surgeons to place the components.  Dr. Bose of India has placed many hundreds in Indian women with no problems.  It often comes down the the skill of the surgeon.  Many surgeons now don't want to do small women or men if they are not very experienced.  Each person should be treated an an individual, not as a trend that no small women or men should be done. 

It would be interesting to know more about your surgery and recovery.  A successful revision should also be done by the top experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.  A revision THR relies on proper component replacement, too. So you need to get a lot of questions answered.

Do you need the complete resurfacing removed including the acetabular cup?  Some people have been able to keep their acetabular cups if they were placed properly.  What type of THR is recommended?  What type of restrictions are recommended with the THR?

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

EMB

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
Pat,

I had no symptoms at all.  I had gone on a long bike ride back in August and a few days later my hip started to stiffen up and became extremely painful.  I went to my surgeon's office and the intern sent me for 4 weeks of physical therapy.  At my follow up appointment after therapy is when my surgeon, Dr. Branovacki looked at the x-ray taken before the PT.  At that time it was discovered that there was a cyst in January 2009 at my 1st year follow up appointment, which was overlooked including 2 additional appointments in January 2010 and I believe in February 2011.  I was sent for a Cat Scan and for labs, whereby both confirmed the cyst and metal levels.  This upsets me because this could have been taken care of a long time ago.  My surgeon had no answers for me or my husband as to why I had the cyst and when we asked if this had anything to do with metal on metal particles, he replied "Are you reading those Class Action Suits On Line"?  My surgeon also thought I could be cystic.   

I went to see Dr. Paprosky, Midwest Orthopedics at Rush University and Central DuPage Hospital for my second opinion.  Dr. Paprosky informed me and my husband that the cup looks as though it is pinching and the ball was too large for me.  I now have a hole above the socket and was told the longer I wait the worse it will get.  My cobalt level is 18.2 and my chromium level is 2.5.  Dr. Paprosky answered all of our questions and even informed us that it was recommended 4 years ago that women should not get metal on metal implants.  In order for Dr. Paprosky to perform the required revision he sent me for a MARS Sequence Pelvic MRI and more labs.  From what I was told the ball and socket need to be replaced in addition to the cup.  Dr. Paprosky will be performing the revision surgery at CDH on February 15, 2012. 

I really appreciate your response.  This helps me as I go forward.  I will be asking the new surgeon additional questions.  I will keep you updated. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:55 PM »
Hi

Thank You for the additional information.  It helps all of us to understand what has happened.  First I have to tell you, once again, that I am very sorry for the problems you are having and that you face a revision.  That is a very difficult decision to know things have gone wrong and you are facing major surgery.

I have been reading thousands of stories since 2005, just before my own hip resurfacing surgery.  I just wanted to comment about several things your surgeon said.  Please understand that I am not medically trained, but often surgeons say things that are not always in agreement with the top, experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.  The national registries have shown that small men and small women have a higher revision rate and the very experienced surgeons do know that.  However, that does not mean that they can not be done successfully with the proper sized components and highly skilled placement.  Many less experienced surgeons just don't give resurfacings to small men or women.  If you are small, then you would need to go to the surgeons that have placed thousands of resurfacings to see if you are a candidate.  I say this because thousands of new people visit this site everyday and they read all of these posts.  Last Wednesday, 3000 unique visitors viewed the website.  So I try to make sure all the information is balanced and true as far as I have learned.

I want new people to know that even small people can have resurfacings, but they need to use the very top surgeons and even then, there are times they can not have one.  There have been some surgeons that placed hundreds of small womens' BHRs without problems such as Dr. Bose.

Please understand that not all MOM  metal on metal THRs or hip resurfacings make high levels of metal ions.  The high metal ions NORMALLY are from edge wear from the acetabular cup and femur cap not fitting properly.  It is this edge wear that causes high metal ions in most of the revision cases.  There are a few cases where people were actually allergic to the metal and a few cases where there is no visible cause for the high metal ions.

Just because you have a MOM device, it does not mean that normally you will have high metal ions that will result in a revision.  The revisions occur NORMALLY when the components are not placed properly or in your case - they were sized poorly.

Meanwhile, now I have talked to the thousands of new folks reading this to make sure they know there is a 96% retention rate of the BHR worldwide, I am sorry you have problems.

Please keep us informed how things are progressing for you.  I invite you to post your complete story here including your revision if and when you have it, plus I will post it under hip resurfacing problems if you send me story after you heal.

The purpose of all hip replacements is to get you active and out of pain.  I am sorry that your resurfacing did not meet that goal. I am sorry that you did not post here earlier and I would have encouraged you to get several other opinions about why you are having problems.  The top surgeons will give you free consultations via email if you are having problems.

Thanks for posting and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

EMB

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
Pat,

Thank you again for your response.  Do you recommend metal detox?  Both surgeons I spoke with seem to think the high metal is not a systemic problem.  The  metal wasn't there before the surgery so it should not be there now.  I do know a person that does detox.  Let me know your thoughts.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »
Hi

I don't know a lot about metal detox.  Most of the people that had revisions and had high metal ions, simply had new THRs installed that did not contain the same metal composition.  Some had ceramic on ceramic, while others had titanium/plastic based THRs.  There are so many THRs.  Since it seems in your case that the edge wear has caused the metal ions, I assume when the components are removed, the metal ions will begin to be removed thru the urine and blood.  I don't know how long it takes to get back to normal. I wish I knew more, but I don't. There has not been much posted by doctors or patients about how quickly their metal ions returned to normal.  We all have a small level of cobalt and chromium in our bodies.  Even mutli vitamins contain them, so they are natural at a lower level.  Usually when a BHR is first placed, the higher metal ions occur during the break in period, but go back to normal after some time. 

You can find out more about metal detox and see if you think it will help.  You would probably want to wait until after the hip resurfacing was removed, but again, that is only my common sense thought not based on any medical studies, etc.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 26, 2021, 01:21:55 AM