+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dec. 13 2011 BHR Dr. Konthe  (Read 1865 times)

ibbski45

Dec. 13 2011 BHR Dr. Konthe
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
Ive been trying to register here for 2 months and finally did it last night! Had RBHR Dec 13 at Cleveland linic with Doctor Konthe. Was wondering how long is the average length of time to be on 2 crutches and what can be done to ease this incision pain that seems to peak right when going to bed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:43:31 PM by Pat Walter »
RBHR Dr. Knothe Cleveland clinic

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Finally registered here!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
Welcome, Ibbski.  I get done next Wednesday, so I cannot offer much to your question.  But, you are in the right place.  From what I've read, everyone's recovery in unique, so use the crutches as needed.  Several posts report down to 1 crutch after 2 weeks, or even to a cane.  I'm sure they'll answer.  Good luck with your recovery!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.  I would like to tell new people that read this - if you are having problems registering, PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL  pwalter@surfacehippy.info and I will assist you.  I hate to have anyone getting frustrated over the registration process.  It has 2 questions to answer to keep the spammers and bots out.

Meanwhile, I am glad you made it.  If you are still having pain, you should stay on your pain meds and keep ahead of the pain.  If it is only at night, then take your meds an hour before going to bed.  You are very early in you recovery.  Everyone has a different recovery.  I only used one crutch for 3 weeks and only used a bit of Advil for incision stiffness, while others stayed on crutches for months and had pain a long time.  It is my belief that the surgical technique and amount of meds placed in the incision can help the recovery pain.  Each surgeon does it a bit differently.  So you have to go with what you have.  My surgeon tells patients to use crutches or cane until you no longer limp.  If you stop using the walking aids while still limping, you will slow down the healing process and even end up with a limp that will be difficult to get rid of.

Just take it easy and go with the flow.  Take meds to keep the pain away.  You need your sleep and your body does not heal well while in pain.

Good Luck and I am glad you found your way here.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
     Congrats on getting here and getting "fixed".  Everyone is different.  The rule of thumb is not really a rule at all.  Use two, one or no crutches as necessary to get around.  Basically, the conventional wisdom is to use what you need to keep from limping, or at least limping uncomfortably.  Moving to one crutch can happen pretty quickly if you don't try to move super fast, and don't be afraid to use more as you get tired or have more pain.
      You will hear a common chant on the site and its true...its not a race, so you are the best judge as to when, and how fast, you recover.  If you rush things you are probably more at risk than if you are too conservative so don't feel pressured to make progress on any sort of schedule.
      Incisions and the associated pain are individual too.  Mine begain to "itch" at around 3 weeks, so I rubbed and rubbed.  At 4-5 weeks I started using a foam roller to massage the area.  Not much at first (because it was too tender) but more as the area could tolerate.  Seems to help minimize the discomfort of the scar tissue.  Some have longer incisions, more muscle that was cut, etc. etc., so again, you are the best to evaluate what you need.  If the incision pain was keeping me up, I would try tylenol or something else to get the rest you need to keep the recovery going.  No fun being tired and sore, so eliminate the tired.
      Best of luck on your recovery.  You'll get lots of support and opinions here...

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »
Welcome to the sight.  As you can see above, all of our recoveries are different and our doctor's protocols are all different.  You are at around three weeks so you should be about to see your doctor.  Ask your doctor about the crutches.  Weather you start recovering fast or slow, we are all in this for about six months before we can think about doing what we want.   So take your time, heal up and work smart at your rehab.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
Hey Ibbski;

Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic Foundation BHR post op protocol is 6 weeks, 2 crutches, 75% weight bearing only on operated leg.  Curious to know since you are asking, did your homegoing instructions also specify this protocol or is your CCF surgeon different with respect to that?  Do you also have the pneumatic stockings and associated air pump to prevent blood clots in the legs?

Nights were bad the first couple of weeks for sure.  Ice, ice, ice; I used 2 large or 3 small, in a pillowcase, on the top (while lying down) and sides of the hip.  That, plus pain meds and muscle relaxers were the ticket in the first couple weeks to help incision pain.

This site will help immensely, Pat, and all the other people here are caring and all know what you are facing, so lean on us as you go along and let us know how you are doing.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

ibbski45

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
Dan I was told 50% on operated leg for 4 Weeks. For the blood clots I do the self injection blood thinner
RBHR Dr. Knothe Cleveland clinic

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat