+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Failing hip?  (Read 5351 times)

Maggie

Failing hip?
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:54:46 AM »
My left hip  (Adept) is now 4 years and 2 months old (I am 49) and it seems like it might be failing. I  have been experiencing a catching/jumping sensation in it for about 3 months and now I am experiencing some discomfort. I referred myself back to my consultant and investigations have begun. I have had a blood test to check for metal ions and will have an ultrasound in 2 weeks (I'm in the UK being treated by the NHS). Whilst trying to remain positive everything points to this being the start of it failing and I am very upset and worried. I had been so delighted with the hip (I just looked back at some of my previous posts and story - so happy and excited!) and I can't deny I have had 4 good years, but I had such high expectations of delaying a THR  until I was in my 60's. Anyone out there with a similar expereince or words of advice?

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Re: Failing hip?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »
Hi Maggie,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this :( I'm afraid I can't help you too much with the details as i'm not eligible for BHR, though it wasn't for the lack of trying or begging! But I couldn't read and not post to say how i'm feeling your pain and worries, I suffer them too.

I'm sure more knowlegable members will be along shortly with more helpful information to help ease your worries.

Michelle
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:19:12 AM »
Thanks Michelle, your kind words are appreciated! Just needed to get it off my chest really. My family are hugely supportive, but I'd don't want to worry them too much until we know for sure what is happening. If it's bad news then we'll deal with it.....
Best wishes
Maggie

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
Hi Maggie,
              im also in the UK. Ive just had a BHR 9 weeks ago. I see that your been seen on the NHS. How are you finding that as i am FULLY  aware of how difficult the NHS can be!!
 If you dont mind me asking who was your origanal surgeon? As if it appears that you do have issues with your device and god forbid thats the case i would advise you to seek an apointment with my surgeon Mr Treacy he is the most experienced surgeon in the world with hip resurfacing and has done around 7000+ and has done lots more partial revisions and total revisions. He can be seen via the NHS also. I sinceraly hope that the issues you are having are not due to your implant.
If you want to know how best to contact Mr Treacy or anthing feel free to PM me id ne more than willing to do anything i can.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
Hi Maggie,
What is Adept? Is it a brand of implant?

Hope you get it sorted out and it turns out well for you. Take up Danny on his offer of help. His surgeon is one of the top in the world.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Maggie

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
Hi Danny, thanks for your post and advice. My hip was resurfaced at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital ( more usually known as Oswestry or Gobowen). It has a superb reputation and Prof Richardson is up there with the "gods" of early hip problems and resurfacing! I have no reason to suspect any difficulties with the procedure and have been impressed with the NHS treatment throughout, including the response to the current difficulties. Yes there is a bit of a wait to get through the system, but on the whole it works well. I too hope that it isn't a problem with the implant, but I don't have a good feeling about it.......
Any way enough of me, I'm delighted you are 9 weeks into your recovery. The new hip will change your life as it did mine.  (Worst case scenario I have had 4 great, pain free, normal years) I hope your BHR gives you many, many years of trouble free service!
All the best
Maggie

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
Hi Luanna,

yes Adept is a brand of implant, pretty much identical to the Birmingham hip in appearance. It was chosen for me as the size range available gave the best "fit" to my small and awkwardly angled pelvis. Seems like my anatomy and gender could be the reason for the problem (if there is a problem, .....staying positive :)....)

Maggie

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »
Hi Maggie, I'm hoping for a good resolution for you. Please keep us posted.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
Hi Danny, thanks for your post and advice. My hip was resurfaced at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital ( more usually known as Oswestry or Gobowen). It has a superb reputation and Prof Richardson is up there with the "gods" of early hip problems and resurfacing! I have no reason to suspect any difficulties with the procedure and have been impressed with the NHS treatment throughout, including the response to the current difficulties. Yes there is a bit of a wait to get through the system, but on the whole it works well. I too hope that it isn't a problem with the implant, but I don't have a good feeling about it.......
Any way enough of me, I'm delighted you are 9 weeks into your recovery. The new hip will change your life as it did mine.  (Worst case scenario I have had 4 great, pain free, normal years) I hope your BHR gives you many, many years of trouble free service!
All the best
Maggie
No worries Maggie if you have confidence in your surgeon thats all that matters.
I must say though your experience and satifaction with the NHS is totally different to mine!
I really hope that your ok and dont require a revision¬
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
Hi Maggie

I am glad to hear from you, but did not like your message.  I hope that there is no problem.  Maybe just some ligament or muscle stuff going on.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you that there are no major problems.

Please keep us up do date. We will try to support you thru your testing and hopefully, when you get back to being active without any problems.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »
Thanks Michelle, your kind words are appreciated! Just needed to get it off my chest really. My family are hugely supportive, but I'd don't want to worry them too much until we know for sure what is happening. If it's bad news then we'll deal with it.....
Best wishes
Maggie

I know the feeling of not wanting to worry family members too much, but this site is really good if you want to vent and people are always so supportive and helpful. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have found out about Mr Treacy who is trying to help me as best he can.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

fenceman

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
Maggie,  Do you have any update on your hip?
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

mslendzion

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
Hi Maggie, wishing you positive results on your tests.  Hope everything turns out OK for you.  Best regards. Michelle
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal