+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Iron Mike Hip Resurfacing with Mr. McMinn  (Read 3586 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Iron Mike Hip Resurfacing with Mr. McMinn
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »
13th January 2012

He has twice been Mr Universe and has played the tough guy in a variety of action movies, but when Mike Mitchell was floored by a hip injury it was Birmingham surgeon Derek McMinn who came to the rescue.

Fitness icon "Iron Mike", who appeared as a stuntman and action fighter in smash hit films Braveheart and Gladiator, had been suffering from severe osteoarthritis in his left hip but, true to his tough-guy image, had carried on regardless.

However, when the 56-year-old took a nasty fall while out on his yacht he found himself almost unable to walk and in danger of missing out on a new film he had just agreed to appear in.

As Mike contemplated surgery and a one year lay-off, he heard about Derek McMinn the inventor of the world-famous Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) treatment. From then on Mike’s story was heading towards a very happy ending.

"I was told a hip replacement would lay me up for at least a year so when I heard about the work done by Mr McMinn I just had to get in touch with him. The result of the operation was unbelievable – I was active and exercising within a month and back sailing a month after that," he explained.

Mike, who has also held the World Fitness Champion title five times, had his operation at BMI Edgbaston Hospital where he met up with Mr McMinn, the inventor of BHR.

He explained: "My whole life has been about finding the best. When I trained for Mr Universe I found the best trainer and the best nutritionist. When I knew I needed an operation I only wanted to deal with the best and in Mr McMinn I found a real world leader in the field."

Now back in the film studio, as well as taking part in sailing adventures such as sailing a yacht the 1,900 miles from Gibraltar to Turkey in storm force 10 conditions, Mike says he is "as good as new" and looking forward to his latest movie "Rose" being shown at the Cannes Film Festival next year.

Mr McMinn, affectionately known in the medical world as the "Father of Modern Hip Resurfacing" - that even he was amazed at the speed of Mike's recovery.

"Even though Mike is a very strong man there wasn’t much he could do once the arthritis in his hip reached such a stage. It didn’t take me long to decide that the BHR was the perfect treatment for him and, judging by his impressive return to fitness, it would seem to have been the correct decision."

"One of my patient studies shows that 92% of male patients with one BHR return to playing sports after previously being sidelined by the injury while 62% return to playing impact sports like squash, judo and football."
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

Re: Iron Mike Hip Resurfacing with Mr. McMinn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
Well - if that isn't something! 2 months and up and running.....staying fit certainly has advantages to recovering well. If I'd known that I'd have been pumping iron and looking like Iron Woman before going under the knife!  ::)

Kind of makes us mere mortals feel a bit inadequate...but that's ok. My time will come....  ;)

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »
Yes I saw mikes story on the mcminn centre web site a while ago. Quite an amazing story! And I like the fact that mr mcminn includes judo in sports people have returned to. I know a patient named in a study by mcminn and treacy that I have from 2000 won a world judo title post bhr. I'd be happy just competing at a local level!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Luanna

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
Hey Danny, I suspect his quads may be even larger than yours.... :D

Yikes.... To compete at the Mr. Universe level takes a super human ability to endure pain and a commitment beyond what most mere mortals are able to muster. I have a friend who competes in the Mr. Natural competition here in the US after giving up steroids and he may not be as large as he was but he still has that super human ability to build an amazing amount of muscle and endure lots of muscle discomfort.

I did bodybuilding in the late 80s and early 90s and it can certainly help shape muscle, make it stronger, and build bone mass.

Very impressive.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
You may well be correct luanna! :-) body building is a weird sport I think. It's really hard on your body but i have huge respect for people who do it as it take huge discipline!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Nemesis

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »
Pat do you have any info on his current state of fitness.  Has he been able to leg press or squat at any level close to his past?  Just wondering how much of a weight factor the implant can take.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
I am sorry, I don't know any more. I picked the story up off a press release.

Here is another weight lifter's story  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories08/petehollinger08.php

Sorry I can't help more.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
Nem,
       his story and a video interview are on the mcminn centre website.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat