+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cobalt and chromium ion toxic levels in boodstream  (Read 8691 times)

Bill Wollenberg

Cobalt and chromium ion toxic levels in boodstream
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
I am looking for a credible current research report that identifies the toxicity levels for cobalt and chromium ion levels in the bloodstream, and provides the associated study data and techniques.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Cobalt and chromium ion toxic levels in boodstream
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
If you want credible information about cobalt and chromium ion levels in your blood, you need to contact your hip resurfacing surgeon and have a special blood test.  There are only a few labs doing the testing.

If you are just reading, here is a bunch of information  http://www.surfacehippy.info/medicalstudies.php#Metal%20Ions%20&%20Pseudoturmos%20Studies

I hope you are not worried about high metal ions from hip resurfacing when you use one of the experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.  The retention rate of the BHR is 96% and that means only 4 people out of 100 have problems.  In most cases I know of, high metal ions were the result of edge wear due to acetabular cups being placed at the wrong angle. A couple people have high metal ions and their surgeons don't know why.  Most of the cases of revisions are listed here http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacingproblems.php and on this group.

I would not let a lot of negative media press influence your decision to have a hip resurfacing or worry you if you had a hip resurfacing. There are over 3000 people here that had hip resurfacings - most of them had a positive experience since over 96 people out of 100 do have good results.

You can read the national registries to find the statistics that I use  http://www.surfacehippy.info/nationalregistries.php

I hope that helps.

Pat
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:22:33 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bill Wollenberg

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »
Thanks Pat, but I am looking for a study the determines toxicity level, not one that measures them. I have had a blood test, and have my ion levels. Now I want to see the studies which determined that 5-7 ppb are toxic levels. I see many articles using those levels, but no study that derived them.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »
That's a hard thing to find.  You can look at ATDSRs fact sheets on Co and Cr, and any other heavy metals for that matter.  The problem with that is that it's from ingestion or inhalation of the contaminant and not from within a fairly benign environment, like a joint, within your body.  I've been trying to find a study that looks at the level of Co and Cr in the blood and how that relates to an impact, both acute and chronic on human health.  Not easy to find.  You'll probably find more on Cr because of the connection to hexavalent Cr and all the hubbabb about it.  However, I don't think that's the form of Cr from the CoCr alloy. As far as Co?  A study from the '60's on Quebec beer head retention and Co salts?  That might be as good as it gets. 

Long story short, you can use the Co and Cr action levels as a guide to consider addtional assessment.  5-7 ppb is not horrible.  I think 7 ppb for Co is the level at which additional assessment is considered (FDA?).  Don't quote me on that, double check it.  Additional assessment would be talking to an experienced HR surgeon, maybe an x-ray, a few more blood tests.   If there's no pain or discomfort, then maybe annual monitoiring of blood is all that is required.

Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat