+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is anyone scheduled for Dr. Bose in the near future?  (Read 2311 times)

Deb

Is anyone scheduled for Dr. Bose in the near future?
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »
Hi everyone!!  I have been getting great advice from Pat and Vicky - thank you to both of you!!  :)  You have given me strength to overcome some of my fears about first of all, having hip resurfacing done and secondly, the fear of traveling for my surgery.  I have narrowed down my search to Dr. Bose in India and am also trying to make contact with Dr. Rogerson in Madison, WI, USA.  I was very impressed with comments about him on this site...  Amazing information came to light today, I am covered by a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan through my husband's employer and found that both of these hospitals (Apollo in India and Merita Hospital in WI) are considered as approved providers!!!  WOW!!  :)  I think that means the possibility of having coverage for this procedure is more likely.  (I was already getting my plan of action in thought because I was sure I would have to plead my case with the insurance company!!)  Anyway, that would be one hurdle to get through.  Even though they would both be a good possibility with insurance I also have to look at my out-of-pocket expenses from either provider.  I have felt that Dr. Bose was my choice but also want to be open to Dr. Rogerson.  I really feel lucky that I can feel very confident about either one of these doctors...  I am sure there are other excellent surgeons out there that I have not searched out yet.

My question to pose out there is asking if anyone is planning a procedure in India with Dr. Bose sometime in May or June?  That is the ideal timeframe for me but will all be determined by the surgeon and his schedule...  Perhaps we can hook up for traveling, etc.  I will be accompanied by my husband (who I have always considered a 'hippy'!!).  I look forward to hearing from you!!

Thank you.

~Deb
~Deb :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Is anyone scheduled for Dr. Bose in the near future?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:50:23 PM »
Hi Deb

You are lucky to have the insurance coverage.  Dr. Rogerson has done over 250 resurfs.  His patients are very happy. He has the same type of rehab facility as Dr. De Smet.

I have Rogerson Stories posted on the website.  If it were me, I would talk with him to see how I felt about it.  Dr. Bose is absolutely one of the best, but he is very far away. That is one reason I choose De Smet was Belgium was only 8 1/2 hours away instead of 28.

You might be suprised how you feel.  You always have to trust your own feelings about choosing a doctor.  Just my thought.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dgm

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi Deb,
I just wanted to share my experience with Dr. Rogerson in WI.  I travelled there from Montana to have RBHR on 2-14-08.  The HipHab facility where you do PT (land and water based) post surgery is outstanding.  Dr. Rogerson's office does a wonderful job dealing with out-of-town patients.  They also do a great job regarding patient education - they send you a binder with all the before/during and after info you could need.  Dr. Rogerson was fantastic and I could not have asked for a better experience.  His office is very responsive and gets answers to you right away.  From start to finish, and in follow up, I could not have asked

At 4 weeks post op tomorrow, I am walking without any assistance (happily pain free now!) and have had what I would consider a very easy recovery.  I attribute part of it to the HipHab experience - you can read about it if you go to Dr. Rogerson on resurfacing doctors on this website and go to the Meriter Hospital link right under his name.  He also moderates a message board on that site which is quite helpful.  I believe that page also explains how to get an opinion if you are an out of town patient (I believe it was 2 standing pelvic xrays and a couple forms to print out and send in via FedEx)  I sent mine on a Friday and heard from them the following week. 

You have to trust your gut as to what doctor is right for you.  I was willing to go wherever I had to for this procdure, it was that important to me.  I'm happy with my decision and I'm sure you will be too.  It is also empowering to feel like you are as educated as you can possibly be going into this.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Best regards,
Denise
RBHR 2-14-08 Dr. Rogerson
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:59:24 PM »
Hi Denise - Deb accidently sent this to me, but it is for you

Hi Denise - thank you so much for responding.  I am very happy to hear you
had such a wonderful experience.  It sounds like you are progressing very
well - yeah!!!  :)  I hope to have the same experience.  What is an RBHR?
What is the "R"?  Did you have one or both hips done?  Your experience
sounds wonderful, cudos to the Dr. and his staff!!  It is always great to
hear the success stories...  :)

I am really, very scared - actually more than scared...!  I have never had
an 'elective' surgery and so scared of dying on the table... :( how do you
know that you know that you know???  I have researched for weeks on end and
have Dr. Rogerson as my first choice.  I initially decided on Dr. Bose in
India as I thought I would not be covered for this procedure - BCBS gave me
wrong information to start with - but have consulted with Dr. Bose and he
advises no travel for me - it's too far.  (I have blood clots at the present
time and need to address those first, maybe why I am so scared of dying!!)
Dr. Bose says that I am a good candidate for BHR.  Anyway, since talking
with him, I began to dig into American doctors and narrowed down my search
to about 10 doctors.  I found that Dr. Rogerson is in my insurance network
so it will be covered for the hospital care as Meriter Hospital is a network
provider.  However, it doesn't appear that Dr. Rogerson is, I don't know
why...  and I don't know how the Hiphab is billed but assuming this would
also not be covered...  I will have to do much more digging for that
information.  I sent in a request for more information and now have been
instructed to complete those forms online and send my x-rays which I will do
this week. 

I really talked myself out of having the surgeries but after working hard
physically yesterday and laying in bed in agony all night, not sleeping - I
even said out loud to my husband that yes, I have to have this surgery.  I
was upset with him for a long time over this, feeling like I was being
pushed into a corner because he was urging me to move forward to have these
surgeries.  Now I think I have come to realize on my own that I really need
these.  I also began to wonder that if I keep postponing this, I may damage
the bones to the point of not being a candidate for BHR.

We just sold our house and were moving to Portland Oregon to be near our 3
children so now really need to stay here to have insurance cover all this.
Now I have to find temporary housing with no stairs so I can take care of
all this...  The insurance is really a big deal as I have met my deductible
and out-of-pocket expenses so any additional healthcare is paid at 100% -
can't beat that.  It would be foolish to walk away from that.  I originally
wanted to go out of the country - first, because I am a rebel regarding
American health care costs and secondly, I was led to believe that our
insurance would not cover this surgery.

Thank you so much for responding - I can't tell you how comforting it is to
hear from someone who has worked with Dr. Rogerson.  I live in Minnesota and
Madison WI is only 7 hours away so that's very do-able.  Again - thank you
so much for your success story!!

Deb Moon

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dgm

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
Hi Deb,
It is important for you to know that it is so normal to be scared!  Although I've had a couple of biopsies and 2 c-sections, it was still nerve wracking to put myself on the table voluntarily.  I was really scared - I'm 46 and have 2 boys, 10 & 12, so I almost felt selfish doing it (what if something happened to me?)  But, like you, the absolute agony I was in with every step was just miserable and I had no quality of life.  I literally went from running marathons to hardly being able to walk! 

I had a similar experience, I was going to India - I found many people here in Montana that had gone prior to FDA approval for the Birmingham (BHR) )the R before it just refers to which hip you had done.  They all had wonderful experiences and great results.  One guy here in town is younger than me and was on our local ski patrol - he is back to that now!!  So I think, if your circumstances permit, it would probably be a fine experience. 

I was a little scared to travel so far so I looked into Belgium.  But then I read that Dr. Rogerson had sent his patients before it was approved in the US.  So I began exploring his office.  I did have a consult with our local "hip guy" who has an excellent reputation for total hips - he said I was a perfect resurface candidate but I found out he'd only done 4 of these, so I freaked out.  I called Dr. R's office, sent the xrays and the rest is history.

It would be a shame to not use that insurance.  I can't yet speak to the billing yet, that is still all in process.  Dr. R was not a preferred provider for my insurance so I know I"ll be responsible for the extra, but to me it is worth it for his experience.  The way they explained it, the HipHab is billed under the Meriter umbrella so that should help you too. 

I spent about 3 years in denial that anything was wrong with me and that I was limping.  But when a total stranger stopped while I was out taking a walk and asked, "Ma'am are you hurt," well I guess that was the final straw for me.  I would urge you not to wait and least get the ball rolling.  If you've been in as much pain as I have been, you won't regret it.

.  I also started a blog of my experience -you are remotely interested it is http:denisegmalloy.blogspot.com.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, i'm happy to help.  Let me know what you decide!

Best
Denise

>

>

Michael Thompson

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
Denise, I have tried to acess your blog, it sounds interesting, but the URL you providied is not working for me...
What is in my bucket today?

http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

dgm

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
Oops!  Try http://denisegmalloy.blogspot.com/  Let me know if that works. Denise

Michael Thompson

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »
That worked! cool blog! I just started one this year too, be careful, it is addicting!! ;D ;D
What is in my bucket today?

http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM