+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR Current Statistics 2011 Australian National Joint Replacement Registry  (Read 4429 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
A copy of the 2011 Australian National Joint Replacement Registry is located below:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/pdf/aoanjrreport2011.pdf

I am posting this once again because people need to know the statistics I quote are not my opinion, but based on actual information from the National Directories.

Here is the BHR revision rate compared to other devices:

Please note the 6.3% revision rate at 10 years for the BHR.

Here is the hip resurfacing overall revision rate by male and females.  Please note that all small men and women both have the higher revision rates than larger people based on head size of HR components (9.3 for males, 11.2 for females).  All larger females and males have the same similar low revision rates (3.7 for males, 3.9 for females @ 7 years) .  Hip Resurfacing works great for larger people.  It also works for most smaller people, but you really need to use only the very, most experienced surgeons for good outcomes.

There is a great deal of information in the national registry, but this is really the important information in my opinion.  That is why I always use the 96% retention rate for the BHR worldwide.  It is actually higher in some other studies and surgeons personal series.

Pat
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:51:37 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

These data are interesting to me especially being that I am a 40mm head size.

I'd like to see data from the other countries with registries as well. Suspect the trends are the same. Off to search for data.

Thanks,

Luanna
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:42:48 PM by Luanna »
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

obxpelican

Luanna,

Smaller women are always tougher, but keep in mind Dr. Bose does most of his on small boned Indian women, he's got great stats, again we're talking the skill of the individual surgeon.

If I am not mistaken either Bose or DeSmet have great stats for the ASR, again, skills of the surgeon.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

Hi Pat,
My computer says that the link to the 2011 Registry is not valid. Could you double check it?
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

These data are interesting to me especially being that I am a 40mm head size.

I'd like to see data from the other countries with registries as well. Suspect the trends are the same. Off to search for data.

Thanks,

Luanna

Luanna, remember that we're talking about an average; as Chuck mentions, good surgeons have a much better success rate. The question for you is how good a job did your surgeon do? Given his record, probably really good. I understand your concerns, but how are you now?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
John

I fixed up the link.  The PDF is very large and will take some time to load.  Sorry about the error.  The PDF is 212 pages.  I believe my upload to the server is OK, but I am having a difficult time opening it, too so I am ftp to the server again.  Give it a few minutes and try again.

If you can't get it from my site, then go to the Australian National Directory site here

http://www.dmac.adelaide.edu.au/aoanjrr/publications.jsp?section=reports2011

Pat
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:17:23 PM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jeremy76761

Just an honest question: how do we know that the surgeon series reports are accurate? How many of the 96% have pain or something but not enough to warrant another surgery?

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I'd like to give anyone the chance to clear this up for those of us wondering!

PS. My non-HR hip REALLY hurts.  :'(

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
The information on the surgeon series are very detailed as far as Harris Hip Scores, what the cause of the revisions were, male, female, size, etc etc etc.  I am not allowed to copy or post all the detailed information from the courses.  You will just have to accept the information that I feel I can share.  When you spend 2 and 3 days from 6am to 6 pm listening to presentations you see and learn a lot.  Very little is available to the public since this information is for surgeons to learn about and improve hip resurfacing.  Also much of it would not be understood by most people.

I still feel some of the best information is right here - there are over 3000+ people and most have had hip resurfacings.  What a series we have going, the surfacehippy series. 

Here is another series of 850 surfacehippy patients from the Yahoo group.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/survey/hipresurfacingsurvey.php

You will never have all the statistics since even the surgeons don't have it all or even understand it all.  We know most people do well with their resurfacings since we are all living proof.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

Just an honest question: how do we know that the surgeon series reports are accurate? How many of the 96% have pain or something but not enough to warrant another surgery?

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I'd like to give anyone the chance to clear this up for those of us wondering!

I'm not offended, Jeremy - you're just asking good questions. I guess anything can be done incorrectly, but when you deal with studies that are at the scope that these are, with the organizations that are behind it, I tend to respect those much more than random information.

I've read the registries (2010 and 2011)  and to me they look reputable. In the end, you have to expect that when you are reporting the number of people they covered, the large bulk of them are going to be as responsible in their reporting as possible. I also believe that patients who are experiencing pain are not likely to hide it. So to me , they look valid.

Sorry about the other hip, does it have OA?

Jeremy76761

Hi Hernanu, yes, my left hip has OA....I didn't mean to give the impression I have an HR in any hip. I do plan on getting a resurfacing because my "dream" is to return to running seriously again. It gives a guy hope to hear stories of people doing impact sports and to hear of stats suggesting these BHRs will last many decades without any problems.

So, the registries do report on BHR side-effects below the threshold of revision? I'll have to check that out. Where can I find that information?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:27:48 AM by Jeremy76761 »

obxpelican

Re: BHR Current Statistics 2011 Australian National Joint Replacement Registry
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »

I also believe that patients who are experiencing pain are not likely to hide it. So to me , they look valid.

Sorry about the other hip, does it have OA?

Just hang around here and watch people when they post about their pain.  Think of this, the people with great results are not even on this group anymore.  I've had conversations with hundreds and hundreds of patients via the forum in public and through messages.  Most of those people with good results have moved on, we do not hear back from them unless they have issues, very very few do have any issues.

I believe the data that was posted especially since I've lived it on this forum now for going on 4 years.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jeremy76761

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

Thanks, Chuck. Appreciate it.

Jeremy

fenceman

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
One of those guys that has a successful BHR and only checks back every couple of months.  Surprised to see all the uproar about the HSR.  3-1/2 years and going strong. 

Thanks to Pat and all the moderators (even though they are Steeler Fans) for the great work you do on this site.

Bill   8/08
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
Great to have you check in, Bill

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 05:13:04 AM »